Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although not really equivalent in quality, sport suspension puts some of the steering enchantment of the 987 in to the 981. It is really sharp. From my test drive memory, PASM does not really do that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There's a chart floating around that states if you have PTV with PASM, you get upgraded sway bars compared to stock PASM ones.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Although not really equivalent in quality, sport suspension puts some of the steering enchantment of the 987 in to the 981. It is really sharp. From my test drive memory, PASM does not really do that.
“Steering Enchantment?” :confused:

The X73 doesn’t contain any changes to the steering, so I’m wondering what you mean. Turn-in is enhanced greatly, which is one of the reasons I chose it for my car ...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just upgraded my rear sway bar from PASM/PTV version to X73 and the X73 is solid and the old one hollow and noticeably lighter.

Greg

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I am repeating things I don't have first hand experience with, but trust the source: if the car is lowered the negative camber increases and you may be able to get away on a track without camber plates or GT3-style adjustable control arms to get the camber needed. X73 does lower the car so it should help turn in on the track. But that may not be what the poster meant.

·
Registered
75 Posts
“Steering Enchantment?” :confused:

The X73 doesn’t contain any changes to the steering, so I’m wondering what you mean. Turn-in is enhanced greatly, which is one of the reasons I chose it for my car ...
I got hung on writing what is a bad description. You are right.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's surprising you can't get the X73 option with OR without PASM. Most of the benefit is the lower chassis, and stiffer sway bars - not the shocks.

And before you think that PASM is inferior, remember it's on the GT3 and GT4.

Reactions: Jeff78

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just upgraded my rear sway bar from PASM/PTV version to X73 and the X73 is solid and the old one hollow and noticeably lighter.

Greg

Does this mean your car is PASM equipped and you replaced the rear anti roll bar with one from the X73? I'm curious how this affected handling during track driving and street driving?

·
Registered
538 Posts
t's surprising you can't get the X73 option with OR without PASM
. Most of the benefit is the lower chassis, and stiffer sway bars - not the shocks.

And before you think that PASM is inferior, remember it's on the GT3 and GT4.

IMO it is inferior. The reason the GT cars get PASM is so you can keep your insides in-tack while driving to and from the track. If you had a GT car with a true track suspension setup you would need a big truck and an enclosed trailer to tow your car around. Unless you like self inflicted pain.
From all accounts the GT4 has a very X73 like ride with PASM :cheers: So it is somewhat possible to get this option.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
The beauty of PASM is that it.can be programmed to be whatever the engineers want it to be. That's why it's superior to a fixed suspension. My PASM suspension with TPC's DSC controller and sway bars gives me choices: from a spouse approved comfortably compliant ride to a stiff track setting that individually adjusts each corner to allow me to run over gators or hit rough pavement with little upset. For a daily driver/track toy IMO it can't be beat which is why it's in the GTs so, as was said, the driver can match the suspension to the task at hand without having to compromise.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't see how you guys with X73 drive that car on a daily basis unless your roads are racetrack smooth. Even PASM in sport mode is too stiff for daily driving. I only use that mode on a track and even then it's on the stiff side unless the track is smooth.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't see how you guys with X73 drive that car on a daily basis unless your roads are racetrack smooth. Even PASM in sport mode is too stiff for daily driving. I only use that mode on a track and even then it's on the stiff side unless the track is smooth.
Funny you say that because both of the X73 equipped Caymans I drove were substantially smoother than my previous sports car (S2000). IMO, it drives quite nicely for an aggressively tuned sports car. It all depends on what you're used to I guess.

Reactions: sbel

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think the X73 is as harsh as PASM in sport mode. I haven't driven them back to back, but I have driven both on roads around here.

There is something to be said for a precise match between dampers and springs. There is also a big inherent advantage to being lower.

Personally I kind of wish the GT4 had fixed dampers. But on the other hand, the 991 GT3 is amazing with that version of PASM, so it might work out fine.

If I were getting an S or GTS, I'd get the X73 and I wouldn't worry at all about harshness on roads around here. YMMV and all that, but the X73 I drove was just fine (and just right IMO).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
The beauty of PASM is that it.can be programmed to be whatever the engineers want it to be. That's why it's superior to a fixed suspension. My PASM suspension with TPC's DSC controller and sway bars gives me choices: from a spouse approved comfortably compliant ride to a stiff track setting that individually adjusts each corner to allow me to run over gators or hit rough pavement with little upset. For a daily driver/track toy IMO it can't be beat which is why it's in the GTs so, as was said, the driver can match the suspension to the task at hand without having to compromise.

Dan
That’s not quite true. PASM only adjusts the shocks, not the springs. So with PASM, you are mostly driving around with mismatched shocks and springs...
:taunt:

The X73 is fine for daily driving. Like deepbluejh, I find it much more comfortable than my S2000. It all depends on what you were used to beforehand. The long front overhang is much harder for me to get used to than the ride quality.

·
Registered
700 Posts

Greg
Were the diameters different? A hollow bar with a larger diameter could have higher torsional rigidity to a solid one. That is the main factor, not the weight. Other factors can play a role, different materials or alloys can have different torsional ratings without being heavier. I'm sure the X73 bar is more torsionally rigid but not because of it's weight necessarily.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That’s not quite true. PASM only adjusts the shocks, not the springs. So with PASM, you are mostly driving around with mismatched shocks and springs...
:taunt:

Exactly what my local tech. advised me when I questioned him on which suspension I should order...X73 is a static set up with dedicated shocks & springs...PASM is a dynamic suspension set up which is a compromise.

Personally the cosmetic factor was important as I disliked the wheel gap without X73...to each his (her) own & love the profile with the sport suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
As a well known suspension tuner told me, "That might be relevant if you are at Spencer Pumpelly's skill level, but you're not." Further, even perfectly matched springs & shocks are not best for all conditions and, of course, can't adjust to changing conditions.

This whole debate is mental masturbation.

Neither PASM nor X73 are track suspensions. They are both compromised, trackable street suspensions. It's naive to think otherwise. Buy what best matches your desired compromises. For my 80% pot-holed urban driving combined with middling Instructor/Advanced Group DEs, DSC PASM is easily the best compromise I've experienced.

It's good we each made the right choice.

Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
The most advanced adjustable option seems to be magnetorheological dampers, as used by GM, Ferrari, Audi, et al. I wonder why Porsche hasn't licensed this technology, given its extremely fast response time and wide range of adjustability. Other than cost, it doesn't seem to have many downsides.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts