Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wondering if anyone in Vancouver can help me. I've got a 2015 981 Cayman 2.7.

My issue is that one of the bolt holes in the steering rack which holds the steering rack to the subframe is now threaded. I figured this out when chasing down a vibration when going over bumps and slightly turning the wheel at parking lot speeds and slightly turning the wheel from side to side at speeds greater than 100 kmh. After removing the cover panel for the front subframe I noticed that one of the bolts holding the steering rack to the subframe had backed out on its own. And then when I removed this bolt, there were some shavings that came with it. Also, when tightening the bolt at some point it would become loose again.

I'm thinking of getting it rethreaded, maybe making the hole bigger to accommodate a bigger bolt or getting a threaded rod welded into the bolt hole and secure the rack to the subframe with a nut instead. Anything short of replacing the rack as it is quite costly for just the bolt hole..

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on where I can get this sort of work done around the GVA.

Thank you! I would greatly appreciate any help.

Iggy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at Time-sert to repair the threads. I've installed them with hand tools. Basically drill, tap and install.
I'm not sure if I have enough space bigger threads? Do you have a link to what I might need? A lot of things are popping up for time-sert.. thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did the exact same thing to my subframe bolts. I bought a tap and die set from Harbor Freight and cleaned up the threads on the bolt and recut the subframe threads. Its not a hard job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the time sert option. I just got a thread pitch gauge to measure the bolt.

I've just never done this before, but like anything else on this car, I haven't really done much before haha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts