Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News Porschephiles: New 718 GT4 To Stick With Six-Cylinder Engine

There goes the Marketing angle...Can they really call it a 718? The 718 is marketed and tied to the flat 4cyl 718 heritage and stated by Porsche the reason why a flat 4cyl was used for the 718 Boxster/Cayman. SO, now they may have a Cayman GT4, and likely a Boxster Spyder, that will likely have the *correct* flat 6cyl engine but still wear the 718 moniker?? Is this new line of 718 cars somehow connected to a different mysterious 718 prototype of old?? Seems Porsche may have some creative explaining to do or pull a secret car from the museum to market the new car(s). I think more likely the former.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Who cares how they call it? If prices are under $100k (zero options) and is produced in enough exemplars so I can order one without an auction, now I might have a car to buy if I spread my 981 CS over 300 ft of Armco at the track. That is good news. Next good news is that fishing line and hair blower take care of any inappropriate badging in less than 10 minutes and for total cost of $0.50 ;)

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Who cares what they call it. It's all stupid marketing anyway. As long as it drives like a Porsche... I remove all the badging from all my cars anyway. Anything that can be taken off is off the first day out of dilership. Much cleaner look and easier to detail :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good News Porschephiles: New 718 GT4 To Stick With Six-Cylinder Engine

There goes the Marketing angle...Can they really call it a 718? The 718 is marketed and tied to the flat 4cyl 718 heritage and stated by Porsche the reason why a flat 4cyl was used for the 718 Boxster/Cayman. SO, now they may have a Cayman GT4, and likely a Boxster Spyder, that will likely have the *correct* flat 6cyl engine but still wear the 718 moniker?? Is this new line of 718 cars somehow connected to a different mysterious 718 prototype of old?? Seems Porsche may have some creative explaining to do or pull a secret car from the museum to market the new car(s). I think more likely the former.
I suspect they'll badge like the 981 GT4's and Spyders - that is no sign of the 981.

And here's fingers crossed on the Spyder for a flat-6 (as I have a deposit on one). There's still conjecture on this as Porsche has remarked the Spyder is technically not a GT (race) car. Yes it's got some GT bits and pieces BUT is that enough to qualify it for a flat-6? Here's hoping...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wonder if this latest generation of GT cars will be last of the NA flat 6's in any Porsche...

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Still just speculation people. Even the article says "nothing is official."

While a flat-6 in the next-gen GT4 and Spyder would please the traditionalists, it would be the marketing equivalent of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head to call it a 718. If it comes with a NA-6 it'll just be GT4 or Cayman GT4, and the Spyder will just be Spyder (and I think there's a chance it will be a tweaked turbo-4).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Given Porsche's direction with the 2018 GT3 going NA, this isn't surprising and I'm happy to see them go this route. It'll give me something to set as a goal someday.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am more excited that it was spotted testing at the ring today (or at least today is when I saw the article). I think we have known that its going to be NA, have a 6 speed, and be a ground up GT car for awhile now. The real questions for me are, what is its power, redline, price, and availability (standard GT for a GTRS). I love my 3.4 in the GTS and to me, it feels special. Now I cant image what an additional 1,200 rpms will feel like having never been in a gt3. Even a 3.8 that revs to 9k will make me happy as ****. I am wondering how much power they can properly put down, because the gt4 I test drove couldn't handle the 3.8. Maybe bad tires?

I just hope I can con my way into a production spot.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I agree with all the comments, to me it just shows the absurdity of their marketing. It's even more absurd to launch the exact model as the 718 Cayman, but as a GT4, and NOT consider it a 718 even though by their own marketing they can't. Yes the 911 badge is nowhere on a GT3, but it's still a 911. By their logic it would make more sense to launch a 912 with a higher HP flat 4 from the Boxster/Cayman slotted below the Carrera. I know there is no understanding why they do what they do but it is pretty sad the road they have gone down with the Boxster and Cayman. More HP or not. Most reviews I have seen say, drive it like hell and it's great! but drop it in normal mode for a PDK or drive it like you would every day and it has no soul, no beautiful sound.... just... sad.

Reactions: Noah Fect

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I suspect they'll badge like the 981 GT4's and Spyders - that is no sign of the 981.

And here's fingers crossed on the Spyder for a flat-6 (as I have a deposit on one). There's still conjecture on this as Porsche has remarked the Spyder is technically not a GT (race) car. Yes it's got some GT bits and pieces BUT is that enough to qualify it for a flat-6? Here's hoping...
So you found a dealer to take a deposit on a car yet to announced? I didn't think there were any rumours of a 'new' Spyder?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
This article is just a regurgitation of the same info over and over again shared between auto rags. Nothing new here.

Reactions: GregW
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.