Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to forum, but been reading for a while now. I joined really to find out if anyone has good indy p-car shop recos in LA. I've honestly have a heck of a time finding a shop that has three simple abilities:

*Customer Service - prompt in returning a quote for work being requested. If you can't return a quote after a week, pretty indicative you don't care enough to do the work, may be too busy, etc. Net, not a place you want taking your car, messing it up, and having you wait weeks to get it back.

*Works on newer Porsches - found a lot of vintage pros, and only some who have done a lot of newer mods to p-cars - surprising I thought. There are def. shops that do repairs and mechanic work on newer cars, but mods, seems far and few between.

*Decent service history record / reviews - it seems almost every shop that actually works on newer p-cars has some kind of bad review of their work (consistent / multiple reviews - not just one bad review) or the reviews are so old you don't know how recent they've done any good work.

I even went to cars & coffee in the areas around us, and found many owners agreed a lot of shops will likely mess with you in some way, question is what way. No one could really say for sure who did the best work on newer Porsches.

Willing to drive anywhere in the LA region pretty much, 50 mile radius from downtown if I must to find a good shop.

Hope someone can chime in : )

=====UPDATE=====

So after a pretty exhaustive search, I found pretty much all the big and famous indy Porsche shops charge the price or almost the price of the dealership, and have little to no customer service (e.g. flaky, don't return calls, no follow up). If I had a speciality Porsche engine rebuild on a vintage Porsche, I might force myself to use one of them, but on a generally newer P-car, there's no need to pay those prices and deal with that service.

Good news! I did find two shops for specific purposes I highly recommend:

Maintenance work / oil changes - EURO TECH @ Culver City, CA. Great guys, know their stuff, answer questions, reasonable prices, great customer service. Yelp great reviews. Ask for Dante.

Complex modifications - engines, suspensions, etc. - AUTO TALENT @ Gardena, CA. Excellent customer service, great master tech / techs, new large facility, and fair pricing. They work on high end p-cars, f-cars, lambos regularly. Yelp great reviews. Ask for Golan.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Where in LA? It’s a big place.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I'm willing to go anywhere in the LA region 50 mile radius from downtown if I have to.
I'll throw in a vote for Auto Werkstatt in Redondo-Manhattan Beach:

Homepage - Autowerkstatt

They do excellent work, use OEM parts, very reasonable pricing, and their mechanics are certified Porsche mechanics who all used to work at dealerships.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll throw in a vote for Auto Werkstatt in Redondo-Manhattan Beach:

Homepage - Autowerkstatt

They do excellent work, use OEM parts, very reasonable pricing, and their mechanics are certified Porsche mechanics who all used to work at dealerships.
Good reviews online, but pricing was quite high actually. I'm willing to pay a premium for peace of mind, but it was literally close to double. Had to count them out unfortunately, but agree they did seem very knowledgeable.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Good reviews online, but pricing was quite high actually. I'm willing to pay a premium for peace of mind, but it was literally close to double. Had to count them out unfortunately, but agree they did seem very knowledgeable.
You're probably right...I was thinking more about their pricing relative to what a dealer would charge. I should have clarified.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have heard good things about Auto Werkstatt in MB and Callas Rennsport in Torrance, but have never used them. I always take my car to Bbi Motorsport in Huntington Beach. They are not cheap, but they are one of the best. They charge a fair price on any parts I have needed. Their hourly rate is not cheap, but seems fair. Where it sometimes gets expensive is that they want to use the best parts to make your vehicle perform the way it was meant to - fast and precise. They are not fast, as they always seem to be working on another build for another race. They are busy because they are the best and they are in high demand. You get what you pay for.
If you own a Porsche, you should expect to pay a premium.
If you want a discount mechanic that claims to know Porsche, I am sure they are out there. But, you may have trouble getting referrals.
You could find a mechanic that uses second rate parts, but that can backfire on you with performance or worse. You can find a mechanic that reduces the hourly rate by 20-30% (which will reduce total bill by 10-15%). I don't have money to throw away, but I opt to go with the best shop I could find.

·
Registered
87 Posts
House in Pasadena

https://www.houseautogroup.com/

Reasonable price, excellent service and communication. You can yelp for review and see why most people give them 5 stars.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have heard good things about Auto Werkstatt in MB and Callas Rennsport in Torrance, but have never used them. I always take my car to Bbi Motorsport in Huntington Beach. They are not cheap, but they are one of the best. They charge a fair price on any parts I have needed. Their hourly rate is not cheap, but seems fair. Where it sometimes gets expensive is that they want to use the best parts to make your vehicle perform the way it was meant to - fast and precise. They are not fast, as they always seem to be working on another build for another race. They are busy because they are the best and they are in high demand. You get what you pay for.
If you want a discount mechanic that claims to know Porsche, I am sure they are out there. But, you may have trouble getting referrals.
You could find a mechanic that uses second rate parts, but that can backfire on you with performance or worse. You can find a mechanic that reduces the hourly rate by 20-30% (which will reduce total bill by 10-15%). I don't have money to throw away, but I opt to go with the best shop I could find.
I live in Orange County and interested in trying them, but their website isn't showing they work on 982s yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
House in Pasadena

https://www.houseautogroup.com/

Reasonable price, excellent service and communication. You can yelp for review and see why most people give them 5 stars.

House is the WORST place I have ever taken my car to. Please don't use them the owner is a crock!

Pm me for more details if needed about what they broke on my car and refused to take responsibility for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after a pretty exhaustive search, I found pretty much all the big and famous indy Porsche shops charge the price of the dealership, have no customer service (flaky, don't return calls), or simply too busy to accept work unless you're doing an engine rebuild.

I personally found a great shop who does excellent work on BMWs to Lambos, and has a ton of GT3s run through shop constantly - AUTO TALENT in Gardena, CA. They really know their stuff and have great customer service. Look for Golan, who will be happy to help you out with whatever your Porsche needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks bud, these guys also came up on my list, and they're great I'm sure, but asking to charge 4-5x what I know the job requires is criminal I think. While these shops maybe too busy, I'm not one to wait around for my car to get worked on, that's also just a waste of my time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.