Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so our economy might be in the doldrums due to commodity prices going down the tubes... but if you're in the market for a new Porsche, now may be the time!!

I was thinking about this earlier this morning and, just for kicks, went in and configured my car on the US configurator.

At current exchange rates, even if I don't account for any import duties or anything else, my car is over a couple thousand dollars CHEAPER in Canada than it would be if I bought it in the US! This seems like a rather rare occurrence and almost certainly won't last.

I remember that Porsche was in the news a few years back when our dollar was nearly at par. They adjusted their prices significantly to make more sense in the then-current economic reality. The cars were still tangibly more expensive in Canada, but not as outrageously as they had been.

Well... now our dollar is back down to under 84 cents USD.

Bottom line is if you're in Canada and looking to order... now's the time!! I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a significant price jump when 2016 prices are announced!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just double-checked my numbers and ensured I had all the same options picked on both configurators.

The bottom line is that, at a conversion rate of 1.194 CAD = 1 USD, my car would have cost $4922.09 more if I'd bought it in the US!! That's huge!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was hoping that Porsche wouldn't bump the price up all of a sudden. (Because of the falling dollar) Looks like I got a 'bargain' when I ordered my BGTS last month. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Isn't it cold up there? I heard that somewhere. I'd rather pay the extra $4922.09 and live down here with my Boxster. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was hoping that Porsche wouldn't bump the price up all of a sudden. (Because of the falling dollar) Looks like I got a 'bargain' when I ordered my BGTS last month. :)
Here's the announcement from 2011 when they significantly lowered prices across the board.

New Canadian pricing - HOME - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

At the time, the Boxster S dropped $3700. It's not unreasonable to expect the same wouldn't happen the other way.

Edit: Even more significant is this change back in 2008 where they lowered prices by 10%!!

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=381

Isn't it cold up there? I heard that somewhere. I'd rather pay the extra $4922.09 and live down here with my Boxster. :cheers:
LOL. Touche!! I've been looking at historical averages and figure I should get some driving time in again by the end of February and be able to get out regularly by mid-March. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
LOL. Touche!! I've been looking at historical averages and figure I should get some driving time in again by the end of February and be able to get out regularly by mid-March. :D[/QUOTE said:
Took the 'R' out this morning as it was cold but dry. Went up to Mosport and then back by an alternate route. Looks like it may be cold and dry tomorrow, too!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Ok... so our economy might be in the doldrums due to commodity prices going down the tubes... but if you're in the market for a new Porsche, now may be the time!!

I was thinking about this earlier this morning and, just for kicks, went in and configured my car on the US configurator.

At current exchange rates, even if I don't account for any import duties or anything else, my car is over a couple thousand dollars CHEAPER in Canada than it would be if I bought it in the US! This seems like a rather rare occurrence and almost certainly won't last.

I remember that Porsche was in the news a few years back when our dollar was nearly at par. They adjusted their prices significantly to make more sense in the then-current economic reality. The cars were still tangibly more expensive in Canada, but not as outrageously as they had been.

Well... now our dollar is back down to under 84 cents USD.

Bottom line is if you're in Canada and looking to order... now's the time!! I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a significant price jump when 2016 prices are announced!
Well all you CA buyers know who to blame when Porsche raises their prices even if exchange rate remains the same.:hilarious:
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. Buy now!!

After today's interest rate announcement and subsequent drop in our dollar, the difference is even bigger!

Take the Boxster GTS as an example. Base price is $83,900 CAD and $73,500 USD. At the current exchange rate, that USD price is $90,640 CAD. A difference of nearly $7k!! It gets wider as you add in options.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took your advice and bought one yesterday :)

Haha I was going to buy one anyways. January is a great month to buy, got a great discount. I expect interest rates to move down slightly in the next quarter. Plus better grab one now before they go 4 cylinder with turbo!

·
Registered
562 Posts
On Jan 15, the Swiss National Bank announced that after 2 years of doing so, it would no longer prop up the value of the Euro to EURCHF 1.2 ... by the end of the day the EURCHF dropped to .965, a loss of nearly 30%! Due to the huge downtrend in oil prices, the Loonie has also been in a huge downtrend. Wouldn't bet the downtrend of either currency being over, which one falls faster is anyone's guess. The ECB just announced a huge round of QE (buying back their own bonds), which should artificially prop up the EURO. The best thing for the buying power of the Loonie would be higher oil prices.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't realize that the Euro was also dropping so quick. The Loonie took a dive last week specifically because of the new monetary policy and lowering of interest rates, so I figured it would be a universal drop against all other currencies. Now, if the Euro is also dropping for other reasons, then perhaps they won't be so quick to raise prices here.

Maybe they're just pulling in even higher profits from the US sales rather than much lower ones from Canadian sales.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
the Euro touched $1.11 yesterday before recovering a bit.

Can I here in FL find a Canadian dealer who would let me order a Cayman GTS at a discount, and then convert my US $ to Canadian $ to close at delivery time??
That would sane me money even allowing for covered transport home. If Toronto I would drive it back as I have family in Buffalo area. Any Canadian dealers who will discount a custom order GTS?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
the Euro touched $1.11 yesterday before recovering a bit.

Can I here in FL find a Canadian dealer who would let me order a Cayman GTS at a discount, and then convert my US $ to Canadian $ to close at delivery time??
That would sane me money even allowing for covered transport home. If Toronto I would drive it back as I have family in Buffalo area. Any Canadian dealers who will discount a custom order GTS?
When the exchange rate favoured Canadians buying Porsches in the US, a dealer wouldn't sell directly to someone north of the border under threat of losing their allocation. Used was no problem...and warranties followed the car (including CPO if bought from a dealer or an individual). I've heard stories of people using an intermediary such as a relative to buy the car new from a dealer, then sell it as a used vehicle to circumvent the rule...but I've also heard from a Porsche sales person that Porsche Canada wouldn't issue a clearance letter for a used vehicle that hadn't been registered in the US for less than six months. Street lore aside, I've never actually met or know personally of a Canadian buying a new Porsche from a US dealer, directly or not.

I expect PCNA would have similar concerns about protecting US dealers from buyers scooting to Canada to save a few thousand dollars. Given that this unusual forex situation evolved pretty quickly, PCNA may not have official policies in place, but I'd check before going too far down the road. The former CEO of Porsche Canada just recently joined PCNA, and other ties and communication between the two organizations are pretty close. I'd be surprised if they weren't on top of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts