Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I traded my 07 Cayman S for a stunning 2011 Boxster S with just 7500 miles on it. The car looks and drives like new. Living in Texas means I have a while before I can really enjoy the drop top but I am looking forward to the first cool fall day. It has almost no options other than, Bose, Nav and Convenience Package, which is the way I wanted it. But I was shocked to see the Porsche crests were in the headrests. Silly extra and I don’t see them on many cars.

The Boxster seems a little higher to me than the Cayman did so I am thinking about lowering it a bit. Other than that I am crazy in love with this car!

Yw_640.jpg

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I am kinda contemplating a move from my Cayman R to a Boxster. I am missing the top-down experience again.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Congrats!

I like to drive to work with the top down on a nice summer morning. Makes my mood on the walk into the building a bit better.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats! Tell us more comparing the two. Handling, Rigidity, how's the acceleration- pretty much the same?

Reactions: Macfactor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats! Tell us more comparing the two. Handling, Rigidity, how's the acceleration- pretty much the same?
Only had it for a few days so I am not sure I know the differences all that well yet. I should learn a lot more in the fall when Autocross starts up again.

The power band is much longer in the boxster though. The cayman had to be over 3500 rpm to really start to bite but with the DFI engine you can really feel it at lower rpms.

Can’t say I have noticed much difference in the handling. My cayman had 58K miles so it was a little sloppier. The boxster feels new and tight but I have taken the same corners in both cars and they both stuck like glue. I worried about convertible rigidity but so far I can't see any more flex or roll.

The dealer is throwing in new rubber all around so I will have new shoes at the end of the week. I’ll see if it makes much difference.

Honestly I think they will end up just about the same in the end. There just doesn’t seem to be that much difference, especially at my driving level, between the two.

The only thing that I really notice is the sound difference. The cayman had louder lifters and was very noticeable in the cabin. The boxster is much, much quieter. You hear the engine sucking the air in more than anything else. The exhaust on the boxster is also much deeper and aggressive sounding.

Will update more once I get a few more miles under my belt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
congrats on the new ride!

the crests on the headrests would look nice with the top down.... do you feel the extra horses from the DFI engine?
I think because the suspension is different and I don’t feel the speed as much. The Cayman felt like a rocket at 4k rpm and you could feel the car settle into the speed. The Boxster has a much wider power band and I don’t feel the car adjust to the speed. It just stays planted and goes. At first I thought it felt a little slower but then I realized it was just handling it much better. I will say that I think it gets off the line better. The Cayman always felt a little boggy off the line but the Boxster just grabs and asks for more.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Over the weekend I traded my 07 Cayman S for a stunning 2011 Boxster S with just 7500 miles on it. The car looks and drives like new. Living in Texas means I have a while before I can really enjoy the drop top but I am looking forward to the first cool fall day. It has almost no options other than, Bose, Nav and Convenience Package, which is the way I wanted it. But I was shocked to see the Porsche crests were in the headrests. Silly extra and I don’t see them on many cars.

The Boxster seems a little higher to me than the Cayman did so I am thinking about lowering it a bit. Other than that I am crazy in love with this car!

View attachment 60814
Simply awesome, congrats! So I read the post a few times, so was the reason to go to a convertible or was it something else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simply awesome, congrats! So I read the post a few times, so was the reason to go to a convertible or was it something else?
There were a few reasons for the switch. First and foremost the DFI engine, I really wanted to move to the new engine architecture as I read so many good things about it. Secondly, my Cayman was at a point where I was going to need to put money into it because the shocks were getting old at 58k miles. I was originally looking for a 09-12 Cayman S but those are rare at a good price so I started looking at the Boxsters as well. I have been watching far too many car shows and all these cool old roadsters kept coming up and I started thinking about how much I loved those old cars. Having never owned any kind of convertible it really began to sink in that I may want to try one.

I wasn’t really sure I could though. At 6’ 3” I have never been able to get my head below the windshield in most convertibles, especially older ones. I took the Boxster for a test drive and though it is close I think I am ok.

Finally, it was the deal. The car has 7500 miles on it and looks brand new. It was CPO for 2 years and the dealer threw in new shoes all around. They were really aggressive with the Cayman trade in and lowering the asking price. This is one of the very few car deals I felt really good about driving off.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
^^ I like your answers, I too think the DFI engine was a big step up from my 2006 engine, so smooth and tractable, almost eerie, but in a good way!

Sounds like you brokered a great deal and should have some good times ahead for that new car!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Over the weekend I traded my 07 Cayman S for a stunning 2011 Boxster S with just 7500 miles on it. . .
Congrats! You will need suntan lotion.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Congrats! You will need suntan lotion.
Good point! Since buying my first Boxster I have made it a ritual that no matter the day of the top is going down I apply at minimum a SPF 15 lotion, I start this in the spring and I have yet to get burnt... soon however I may need a hat for the top of my head. :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I made a similar move in April...traded '09 Cayman S in on a new Yellow Boxster...I didn't need the convertible as my wife has a great looking '13 Mustang conv. but I wanted to move to the 981 platform and this car looked soooo great...it is AMAZING...Got some things on this car that were not on the '09 Cayman S...The only time I really miss the extra power is when I'm out riding with my friend who has a Maclaren...If I had the S power, I might be able to stay with him another 1.5 seconds!!!
Waiting for my AWE exhaust and I am D_O_N_E with mods..honest...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Looks like you purchased it from Park Place Porsche from the picture, glad to hear you got a good deal, I've had great sales and service experience with them too compared to some of the other dealers around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on the new ride! Looks like you purchased it from Park Place Porsche from the picture, glad to hear you got a good deal, I've had great sales and service experience with them too compared to some of the other dealers around.
I too am a fan of Park Place. My Cayman came from there as well. They do the little extras when buying and service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts