Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today is the day to say goodbye to my Cayman. It's been a good 2 years of fun with it.

I've driven quite a number of entry level to mid-priced luxury sportscars, and I have to say the Cayman tops everything else I have driven. I love how the steering's communicative yet not overly compensated like BMW ones, although some would argue the variable steering was awkward. The way the transmission felt wasn't exactly like an S2000's as Porsches use cables instead of direct linkeage, but then it's no less fun than the two S2000s I have owned before. The way I think of it is that it's a Honda on steroids. It's rare to find a car reasonable priced with all these features: proper manual transmission, linear response in clutch/brake/engine, solid steering, ~3000lbs, comfortable driving position, great handling, and the overall driving experience.

It's been a painful experience to sell the car, partly because of all the effort and money that I have dumped into the car on modifications and maintenances -- yet none of that would come back. I expected to keep this car for many years initially. Just to list a few, the car's equipped with:

- Porsche GT2 bucket seats
- Porsche factor aerokit
- Porsche 3rd radiator kit
- Porsche Motorsport AOS
- Bilstein B16 Damptronics coilovers
- TPC DSC module for PASM capability
- WaveTrac TBD
- Mantis 2.0L deep sump
- NHP headers
- IPD plenum
- Softronic ECU flash
- Brey Krause harness truss + Schroth racing harness

However, as I began to spend countless hours on researching about modifications such as GT3 control arms, sway bars, BBKs, 3.8L engine conversion, further oil safety mods, etc. Then I realized I have spent far too much money and effort on to this car. The problem with modifications is once you start with one thing, it's very tempting to upgrade everything else to match the same level of performance of that modification.

Perhaps I bought the wrong car. The Cayman is a great car with an awesome platform, but that in itself also led me to make the car greater and better. After much thought, I decided to list the car for sale as I needed to put an end to this endless quest and keep my next car stock without messing with it. It's a pity I have only owned the car for a short 2 years. While some would much prefer to modify a car himself, I'm just not that type of guy. All that said, a few months ago I decided to sell the car and start with a clean slate, without having concrete plans of the next toy.

Anyway, there is just so much information on this forum, and there are a lot of very helpful members and posts around here. It's truly a great community. Big thanks to everyone who have helped to make this ownership experience a good one. In any case, here are some pics of my car:

IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_2267.JPG

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
hey zinger, you've probably made the right choice by deciding to upgrade to a more focused car (a GT4 too!)
modding cars is always a slippery slope - however the journey is part and parcel of the fun right?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Do you track your CSS?

Did you mod your S2000s?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hey zinger, you've probably made the right choice by deciding to upgrade to a more focused car (a GT4 too!)
modding cars is always a slippery slope - however the journey is part and parcel of the fun right?
Agreed. Some find the journey a fun one. Unfortunately, there is this thinking in my mind that every time I change one part, there is another part that needs to be changed to match. Maybe the Cayman is a B+ car from the get go. Once I through in some A- coilovers, I would need all the bushings, control arms, and everything else to go up a notch to A-. Obviously modifications don't necessarily have to work that way, but I can't get over that mindset. So it is a personal preference. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying others shouldn't mod. I'm only saying that modifying a car isn't for me. There are many capable drivers who have modded their Caymans well and put a GT3s into shame.

Anyway, the GT4 didn't come into the picture till very recently. I put the car up for sale when all the quotas in my area were gone. I didn't think that I could actually get one. The General Manager of the China managed to grub a few more cars when PAG decided to extend their production. But again, that wasn't till very recently.

Do you track your CSS?
Did you mod your S2000s?
1. The CSS never saw the track. I spent a lot of time reading on forums about preparing the Cayman for track and knowing about the different mods that are available for parts that needed replacement soon. And yes, from my friends' experiences, they did manage to overflow the AOS in the first day with street-legal R tires on both the 2 tracks nearby. So it does look like the track conditions could put all the oiling stuff at the limit. Due to the low accessibility and high cost of going to the track in where I live (around 1600-2000 USD for a weekend before consumables), I wanted to have the car prepped properly before going to the track. Tracking here involves driving a few hours with a China border in between. It involves applying temporary China licnse as a good chunk of driving is within China borders. So I really don't want to have to tow the car back with a flatbed @ some 700 USD of cost. Anyway, I made the decision to sell the car before my first scheduled track day from a few months ago.

One of the S2Ks was bone stock except for tires, pads and brake fluid. That one saw a fair bit of track miles. The other one was mostly a street car with CR coilovers + sway bars from Honda. So arguably the second one was modded, but it wasn't anything far from a CR.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I recently came to the same cross roads with my 987.1 Decision between modifying Cayman to my liking and keeping for the long haul or moving on to another vehicle [ preferably a Porsche]. I found exactly what I was looking for in a 2009 911S. Good luck on your sale and search for your ideal ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts