Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinkin' about pickin' up a set of these in 18" when I change my wheels out on my Cayman. Good decision or not?

I have experience with the F1's on a Ford Lightning, but I don't think that experience can really relate to how they'd be on a car like this.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
See the test report on the Eagle F1 compared to three other tires at Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. The F1s were rated about even with the Michelin PS2s overall, a bit behind the PS2s on a dry track, and a bit above the PS2s on a wet track. I was considering buying F1s before the Bridgestone RE-11s came out. In short, the F1s seem to be very good tires, but not quite as performance oriented as the RE-11s.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the RE-11's, and liked them. They just didn't seem to perform as well on the wet roads as the F1's. Not sure when or if I'll take the car to the track, especially since I can have fun on mountain roads around here. The car will mostly be driven around town. That's why I figured the F1's would be a good choice. Just wanted to check with others to make sure.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I looked at the RE-11's, and liked them. They just didn't seem to perform as well on the wet roads as the F1's. Not sure when or if I'll take the car to the track, especially since I can have fun on mountain roads around here. The car will mostly be driven around town. That's why I figured the F1's would be a good choice. Just wanted to check with others to make sure.
Per a dealer I spoke with these tires in the 18 inch size are not Porsche N rated if that makes a difference to you. I ended up sticking with the Michelins when I needed new tires despite the cost advantage of the Goodyears.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the N rating somehow voids a warranty, I'm not really worried about it. I know the tires are good, since I've run them before on another vehicle. And I read another thread where someone said their 19" wheels came from the factory with F1's with an N rating, so Porsche must be alright with the Goodyears, even if they haven't rated the 18" tires yet.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yes, F1s has OEM 19" sizes (and two 17" sizes) that are Porsche N0 rated. Another inexpensive, but correctly-sized, 18" tire that has been mentioned here over the last few months is the Sumitomo HTZ III. I don't remember reading of any complaints with any of these three tires here, but my memory is no longer completely trustworthy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really love the nice balance between dry/wet grip, ride, and tire noise that the F1 asyms have. Perfect for a year round DD tire. I will try out the Re-11s next time just to try a different tire, but if anyone is unsure about trying the F1 asyms I say go for it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been driving on 19" F1 (N0) for about 300 miles. Previously i had PS2s, the rears were very worn, the fronts about 50%. As far as noise, the F1s are much quieter. As for the ride, handling, and in rain, these tires are rock solid stable. As far as price, much lower. The local Goodyear tire shop ordered me a set in 2 days and matched the tire rack posted price. And i had them mounted and balanced at Tru-Line in Seattle (highly recommended). I am 100% satisfied with these tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I concur with the last post....much quieter tires than the contis that my dealer put on. They have good traction and so far wear seems good (only have about 500 miles on them though). I would buy again. I have 19s and they are N rated.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've had my 18" sizes on for 2 years and am pleased with the tire. Rears are about 6-7/32 with 10K on them; fronts are 8-9/32. I've got a pretty aggressive alignment-- -2Deg. rear and have gotten even wear.

Coming from PS2's these tires are very close in all traits, save flat spotting when cold. I tried them at a DE last fall and they hung in there for 15 minutes--just keep your pressure under 40PSI.

When the rears are done they will be replaced with F1's.

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
666 Posts
I really love the nice balance between dry/wet grip, ride, and tire noise that the F1 asyms have. Perfect for a year round DD tire. I will try out the Re-11s next time just to try a different tire, but if anyone is unsure about trying the F1 asyms I say go for it!
My rear PS2's are already at the wear bars but the front ones have about 60% rubber left on them... I am tempted to install the F1's on the rear with the PS2's on the front (it rarely rains over here...)

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
666 Posts
different tire diameter..?

Would using a 275/35/19 on the rear (instead of the 265/35) with a 235/35/19 on the front (4.34% difference in diameter) cause issues with the ABS..?

I have a friend that has two of these (almost free) with about 70% tread left
On them and I am very tempted all 4 tires will be PS2’s

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: different tire diameter..?

Would using a 275/35/19 on the rear (instead of the 265/35) with a 235/35/19 on the front (4.34% difference in diameter) cause issues with the ABS..?

I have a friend that has two of these (almost free) with about 70% tread left
On them and I am very tempted all 4 tires will be PS2’s

Some run as high as 295, checking for rubbing. This is not a change in diameter. Diameter is the measure of a line drawn across the circle. Changing from 265 to 275 would only change the width of the tire.

If you were to go from 265/35 to 265/30, this would change the diameter. In summary, no issues going to a 275.

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
666 Posts
Re: different tire diameter..?

Some run as high as 295, checking for rubbing. This is not a change in diameter. Diameter is the measure of a line drawn across the circle. Changing from 265 to 275 would only change the width of the tire.

If you were to go from 265/35 to 265/30, this would change the diameter. In summary, no issues going to a 275.

Coal,

According to the Tire Rack specs
diameter of the 235/35/19 is 25.5 @ 817 rpm
diameter of the 265/35/19 is 26.3 @ 790 rpm
diameter of the 275/35/19 is 26.6 @ 783 rpm

the difference between 235/35 and 265/35 is +/- 3.14 %
the difference between 235/35 and 275/35 is +/- 4.34 %

I remember reading somewhere here that a difference of more than 4 % could cause issues with the PSM computer, this was my concern and this does not include the fact that the 275/35's are about 2lb heavier than the 265/35's..!

However, I am still tempted to install the 275/35's...

·
Registered
502 Posts
You are referring to the rolling diameter, which will change depending on the weight of the tire, amount of sidewall, and material used. Notice they list the rpm range to show they are spinning. The standing diameter will be the same on all of those tires is the same. Search around here and you will find a lot of people that have upgraded to 275 and more. I think I saw someone go 305 with spacers. I have never heard of any negative comments going a little wider. Some guys that are lowered and with an agressive offset will need to check for rubbing issues.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I'm thinkin' about pickin' up a set of these in 18" when I change my wheels out on my Cayman. Good decision or not?

I have experience with the F1's on a Ford Lightning, but I don't think that experience can really relate to how they'd be on a car like this.
I put the F1 on my '06 last summer, replacing the OEM PS2's. I've since put almost 5000 miles on them and they have been great. They are also more complient (don't ride as hard) but don't seem to give up anything as far as handling. And the best thing about them was that they were about $100.00/tire less than the PS 2's at that time. I'd get them again in a nano second.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad to see people are so happy with them. I wound up orderin' a set for 19" wheels. I was originally gonna get 18's, but decided to go 19's instead. I look forward to gettin' 'em on the road.

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
666 Posts
You are referring to the rolling diameter, which will change depending on the weight of the tire, amount of sidewall, and material used. Notice they list the rpm range to show they are spinning. The standing diameter will be the same on all of those tires is the same. Search around here and you will find a lot of people that have upgraded to 275 and more. I think I saw someone go 305 with spacers. I have never heard of any negative comments going a little wider. Some guys that are lowered and with an agressive offset will need to check for rubbing issues.
Coal;
I was not worry about getting a wider tire, my concern was about installing a slightly taller tire (from 165/35 to the 175/35's)..

Ideally I would like to choose the 170/30's (on the 9.5 wheels) or wider, on bigger wheels.

But the 175/35's is what my friend has offered...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.