Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So overall, I am really happy with this feature. Once your phone is plugged in and Aha radio app is running, you can do an online search for a POI pretty quickly...but seems like it has a very limited range, as in less than 10 miles. For example, I will enter 'ABC' about 20 miles from it and the list is empty, but when I like 7 miles away I enter it again and it shows up.

Anyone know of a workaround to increase the POI search range or maybe allow it to search along route as a stopover? It almost seems like it only searches in the current city/state you are in rather than mile radius, which is really annoying when you have small city/towns right next to each other...not sure...

After tinkering with the nav system, I am finding with the right settings, its as accurate as Google maps and if I can get POI online search to work better, I'd be pretty pleased. It takes a bit of learning and getting used to for sure though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So overall, I am really happy with this feature. Once your phone is plugged in and Aha radio app is running, you can do an online search for a POI pretty quickly...but seems like it has a very limited range, as in less than 10 miles. For example, I will enter 'ABC' about 20 miles from it and the list is empty, but when I like 7 miles away I enter it again and it shows up.

Anyone know of a workaround to increase the POI search range or maybe allow it to search along route as a stopover? It almost seems like it only searches in the current city/state you are in rather than mile radius, which is really annoying when you have small city/towns right next to each other...not sure...

After tinkering with the nav system, I am finding with the right settings, its as accurate as Google maps and if I can get POI online search to work better, I'd be pretty pleased. It takes a bit of learning and getting used to for sure though.
The POI search radius limitation is the only aspect of PCM which really annoys me.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I spent like 1 hour tinkering with it and it's just not possible? This is really annoying and obviously designed by Indians (no offense).

Also, today I was messing with routes and realized it's not consistent. I'll enter a destination and on my way back it gives me a different....slower....route. Makes zero sense.

i compared to google, which worked flawlessly. Made me want to shove pcm out the window. BMW nav works way better.

last I noticed traffic is only for interstates not all highways and roads like Google.

i hope an update fixes both of these issues...they are completely software related and fixable.

·
Registered
734 Posts
last I noticed traffic is only for interstates not all highways and roads like Google.
This is the main reason I am not renewing my Sirius subscription once the 3 month trial period is up. There is a ton of traffic on the local roads here and none of that shows up on the PCM nav. Disappointing to say the least.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
So I spent like 1 hour tinkering with it and it's just not possible? This is really annoying and obviously designed by Indians (no offense).

Also, today I was messing with routes and realized it's not consistent. I'll enter a destination and on my way back it gives me a different....slower....route. Makes zero sense.

i compared to google, which worked flawlessly. Made me want to shove pcm out the window. BMW nav works way better.

i hope an update fixes both of these issues...they are completely software related and fixable.
As far as a software update fixing these things, you're bemoaning three different things from three different companies. Aha (POI search distance), Porsche (PCM), and SirriusXM (lack of traffic data).

Not disagreeing on any of your peeves either, I have them as well. In my dream world, Porsche would realize it'd be easier (and better) to have someone else take the reins for this. Ditch the craptastic Aha and add Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. Done.

I'm not holding my breath that they'll ever offer them in an update though, but one can hope.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea you're right it's unlikely its going to get fixed... Pity though this system could be good.

i did some extensive messing around with the nav and am at the point I think I would rather just use my iPhone and the gauge map feature... Comes in handly when Google maps says I need to turn and I can see what is coming up.

i do need the sub iPod port, so bottom line seems like the nav option cost me 1k and I could have gone without. Other things like weather, traffic, or stocks aren't useful when it's so much easier on my phone. Bottom like I can't recommend the infotainment package...get the Bose speaker at minimum and cbr system otherwise (requiried for backup camera and other features).

wish Porsche would just add Apple car play... Probably some stupid license thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts