Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idiot woman driving a GMC Sierra drove through two stop signs in a parking lot and hit my Cayman - Front left wheel drove up onto front bumper/hood. After hitting me, she had to back the truck up and off of my car. Luckily my wife and I were not hurt and luckily I didn't hurt the moron driving - How effing hard is it to pay attention while driving? TWO )#*)[email protected] stop signs she missed.

Physical damage appears to be low to moderate with a hosed bumper, foglight and grill (obvious damage). The panel gaps along the fenders/hood are off on the hit side, turn signal won't stay attached. The steering and suspension feel "off" and I heard a grinding/rubbing/oh crap noise when turning corners. Because the front left wheel actually drove up onto the car, I'm worried about possible frame/suspension damage.

So instead of asking y'all for ideas on possible damage, claim amounts, diminished value etc… I'm simply asking you my friends to be safe and pay attention ( I know you do) when driving. Had she hit the passenger door, my wife would be injured and I would be in jail right now. Watch out for the other [email protected]$$

Todd

·
Registered
245 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I'm glad she didn't hit the passenger side of your car. Everything else can be fixed.

I actually hope for self driving cars one day because most people on most days just need to be driven around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Be sure to get your sore backs and necks checked right away. U might need the leverage to get adequately compensated for proper repairs and diminished value...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Sorry to hear your car got damaged, glad to hear you're both ok. I live in the land of moron drivers, the worst in the U.S., officially the highest insurance rates. I drive with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. i would call PCNA and ask for a Porsche approved repair facility, then decide if you want to keep your car, if the damage isn't intensive maybe you can live with it, if you're not happy driving a damaged car, consider trading up to a new Cayman...... I would definitely speak to an attorney ASAP.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Glad you and your wife were not obviously injured. I agree with the comment about getting your necks and backs checked. It sounds cliche, but stuff has a way of coming back to haunt you if it goes unchecked.

And I get it that you'd be in jail if the "idiot woman driving a GMC Sierra" injured your wife. I'd be over the top too. It's only a car and can be replaced or repaired, but your spouse is a life long partner.

Had she hit the passenger door, my wife would be injured and I would be in jail right now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with all of the above. The adrenaline tends to make you forget stuff when you're collecting details. But, I've had a neck issue develop from being hit from behind and it took several days to set in. Diminished value is another thing that generally requires legal counsel, as her insurance company will push to take the shortest (and cheapest) path to resolution. I'm glad you and your wife are ok. I wish you the best with the aftermath.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
sorry to hear about the incident. stupid drivers are everywhere and most are driving huge trucks or SUVs.

i would not drive it any further - get a flatbed or tow if you need to take it to the shop.

glad your wife and you are ok - here's to a speedy recovery for your poor car....

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I almost had the chance to post a similar experience. Yesterday I was in the grocery store parking lot. A woman texting on a cell phone pulled out of her parking slot and right into my path. I stopped and laid on the horn. She stopped about two feet from my bumper . . . and then she gave me a pissed look. I probably interrupted her text.

Get checked by your doctor. I'm serious and I'm not just talking about leverage (although that isn't a bad idea). A kid ran a stoplight and took the front end off of my wife's Mercedes SUV. I didn't see a doctor because I didn't think I was hurt. However, a few days after the crash I began to have shoulder pain. Two months later I finally visited my doctor. X-rays showed that I was hurt. It wasn't serious but I did consume a few pain pills until I got better.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I used to tell my wife; "Drive like 50% of the other drivers on the road are idiots." Now I tell her; "Drive like 90% of the other drivers on the road are idiots." With all the distractions that drivers surround themselves with, it's not surprising how little attention they pay to what's happening outside their two ton social media centers.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad no one was hurt. You need to be sure your car is repaired at a body shop that knows how to fix steel/aluminum construction found in the 981. No pulling of the frame is allowed, only replacement of damaged frame members. And make sure you get paid for diminished value caused by the accident.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Another vote for neck and back. Several years ago, we were hit while sitting at a traffic light (9th of 10 cars pinballed by the driver....he was on his roof when he got us....). We had no apparent issues. Two years post accident my wife developed major neck pain that turned into having her 4th and 4th vertebrae fused, donor bone and titanium plate with screws permanently implanted. She is fine, thank goodness but the surgeon said, one more good blow and she could have been paralyzed. It took that long to manifest itself! Sign NO releases for physical injury! We did and that was a big mistake!

·
Registered
102 Posts
So sorry to hear of the accident but glad you are both OK. Red Chili is my pride and joy - to drive, to clean and generally take care of. I know it would pain me greatly to have a stupid driver plow into her. And I second the stories of distracted drivers. I see it so much now; people driving while working on their phones then getting angry with you if you honk to get them back to the reality that they are diving an automobile!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Self driving cars are a great idea...for everyone else.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
this may sound sexist but some women should not drive lifted trucks that they can barely see above the steering wheel. i have one and my wife refuses to drive it because she can not see the bottom of the corners front left and right.. its just too big to control right she says. i don't know, but i see this all the time in soccer events. When soccer mom drives a huge lifted suburban and have no clue on the size of the truck or its power, recipe for a parking mishap. i saw one last month , while backing up took out a fender of a car behind her suburban.. i took down the plate number and stuck it on the banged up car windshield. she was even clueless she hit something..

I am glad your Ok.. and your wife too..

Lemon

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
this may sound sexist but some women should not drive lifted trucks that they can barely see above the steering wheel.
Yeah, but they feel "safe" in such a vehicle. Your safety is immaterial.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Protect and care for yourself and your bride.

The vehicle is metal and they will be able to repair and or you can replace.

I agree with a lot in the thread. Better to be safe that sorry.

If you health is altered in any way that is an issue.

Take care of what matters most "YOU and your BRIDE"

·
Registered
490 Posts
Had to add to the post reply too...

This type of driving and or LACK of it, is another reason why I no longer ride on two wheels. With idiots like this on the road, I want to be in a cage.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad to hear you and your wife is okay. With regards to diminished value, don't take the first offer from the insurance company, it's always going to be a low number. Your 981 pretty much has no value in the used market unless it's free.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts