Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my Base Cayman build date today. Delivery is slated for late May early June not sure if it is going to be a 2010 or 2011. This car is going to be a DD replacing my Infiniti G35X which I hated. My other car is a Lexus IS250 AWD so i have bad weather covered. I think I have my options picked out. Think is the key word because I am probably wrong. Here is what I am thinking any suggestions would be welcome.

2.9L Base Cayman:

Standard Black Paint
Black partial Leather
Power Standard Seats with Memory or Full Leather Sports Seats
Sports Chrono
PDK
Automatic Climate Control
Heated Seats
18" Cayman S Wheels
Colored wheel Crest
Self-Dimmed Mirrors and Rain Sensor
Rear Windshield Wiper
Black Floor Mats

TPC Springs and Sway Bars
10mm Rear Spacers and 6mm or 5mm front Spacers

I am going to stick with the base stereo for now and then put a Kenwood 9140 in with Back Up Camera, Blutooth, XM and Ipod Connection with 2 sets of Focal KRX2 Speakers, 2 6" JL audio Subs and 2 JL Audio Amps a 250 and 450 Slash( I already have the stereo eqipment except the headunit.)

Let the Fun Begin,

Dave-T

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks like a good plan to me, but I'd think twice about the rear windshield wiper. You see very few Porsche's with them.....I'd spend the money elsewhere. Rain does not obscure my rearward vision at all. If it was a near vertical pane, then yes, the wiper is a utilitarian tool.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am going to stick with the base stereo for now and then put a Kenwood 9140 in with Back Up Camera, Blutooth, XM and Ipod Connection with 2 sets of Focal KRX2 Speakers, 2 6" JL audio Subs and 2 JL Audio Amps a 250 and 450 Slash( I already have the stereo eqipment except the headunit.)

I bought my CS off the lot and love everything about it but my stereo. I do not have navigation or bluetooth, ipod connection etc. I want to upgrade and find your choices interesting. I live in Houston and do not know who I can have do the work. Don't trust just anybody to make such huge changes to my car.

gm

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Personally, I would take the Sport Seats over the Power seats with memory, especially if you are going to be the only (or principal) driver, since they are lighter.

It seems there have been a couple of members recently trying to find a way to remove their rear wipers - I agree with Silverback, buy some Rain-X and save the money for something else.

My :2cents:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I would second the sport seats over the comfort power seats, In fact I went with the sport bucket seats after my wife sat in them and was happy (that said we have the adaptive sport seats in our C2S for traveling) I would also agree that the rear wiper is not that worthwhile unless you plan on backing up ALOT!. Instead spend the money on the LSD. My base Cayman left production on 10 Dec and is configured as follows:

PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, LSD ( which requires the 18" wheels on the base car) bluetooth and sport bucket seats. Outside is Carrera White and inside sea blue. Should be here around the third week in January.

For others if don't get PDK I don't think Sport CHrono is worht it but with PDK it re-maps the shift points. Oh yes it gives you launch control which I will NEVER use. Enjoy your new toy. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in the Pacific NW. There are few areas in the US where there is more rain, if any. I haven't wished to have a rear windshielf wiper yet. I agree with other saying its not neccessary. For some reason it just seems odd to have one on a classic porsche sport car shape. IMHO.

I have the base stereo and if you like your music you won't be happy with it. I listen to alot of talk, sad there is not sat. radio.

Most of all have fun when you get it. I know you will be happy. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice on the rear windshield wiper. A great advantage of this site is how members share their expedience and advice. Things can get overwhelming and I am sure many of you know and have experienced what I am going through. Based on everyone's advice I am going to pass on the Rear Windshield Wiper.

Another dilemma I am having is the Adaptive Sports Seats with memory or Standard Power Seats. I have to have power seats with memory because my wife is going to drive the car as well. I know the power feature is going to add some weight but my wife has to be happy too. I have not had a chance to sit in the sport seats yet. Are they comfortable for long trips and are they difficult to get in and out of? I do medical sales so I am in and out of the car a lot during the work day. Are the the Adaptive Sports seats worth the $3k.

Anything else that you think I should have to get full enjoyment out of the car please let me know. What is the benefit of the LSD? Will it help with snow?

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE ADVICE SO FAR IT HAS HELPED

Dave-t

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the base seats and find them them not particularly comfortable. I haven't sat in the sport buckets but really like the sports seats and adaptives. I would go for it if you can. But seats are a personal thing and everyone's opinion will vary...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Another dilemma I am having is the Adaptive Sports Seats with memory or Standard Power Seats.
I have a wide back. I noticed in the standard seats, my lats stick-out on each side, and I get soar on each side of my back where the the top of the standard seat is too narrow. (I didn't notice this until I took a long drive in standard seats).

I like the way the sports seats have more up-top to wrap around my back. I have yet to take a long trip in a car with sports seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also have a wide back, and I am about 6'2" 230. I find the basic seats a little thin up top. However, I was expecting things not to be very comfortable on a long ride, especially with the 19" wheels. I live in portland and drive to seattle once every couple weeks for the Seahawks game, about 180 miles each way of freeway driving. I also have a sore back from time to time. I was very surprised at the comfort of the seats through a 3 hour trip. Very surprised, maybe my expectation was to low. But it made me happy that the seats turned out to be that comfy, no tired back or anything.

Getting in and out of the basic seat is pretty easy for me, I have very long legs. what makes it difficult is when you can't open the door up the full amount. Then getting in and out is significantly more difficult. A handle would have been a nice touch i think.

of course with a low riding sports coupe you can't expect getting in and out to be like pulling on a snuggy.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I have the adaptive sport seats and find them highly adjustable and very comfortable. That said, I've not spent much time in other p-car seats to provide a legitimate comparison.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the stock seats and find them comfortable enough...no aches or pains because of them. I do know that if you are in and out of your car a lot, the bolsters on the sport seats might become an annoyance. I had a R32 with them and while they are a snug fit once seated, those bolsters made it a challenge....and I'm 5'9" x 165 lbs and in good shape. Just my 2 cents. You will LOVE your 2.9 liter Cayman. Oh, the CDR30 stock radio isn't all that bad once the speakers have some time on them and you turn up the volume. Kinda lousy at lowest volumes. I think the amp section is weak in the unit. I don't remember your build at this writing, but by all means get the Bluetooth and iPod options. Ipod sounds good through the unit, and the CD's are fine as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
out of curiosity, why did you hate your G35?

I just went from my 04 G35 sedan to the CS but I loved my G35. I had virtually no complaints at all. I thought it was a great car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess we're all having different opinions on the seats but here's my 2 cents.

First off, this was one of my biggest concerns when buying the CS. I have major back problems with 3 ruptured discs and had surgery last year. I'm also a very large guy having been a personal trainer most of my life.

I'm 6' and about 250 with very wide shoulders and back. I was convinced the standard seats were going to hurt but they're fine for me. The farthest I've driven is about an hour each way and no problems. I noticed the sides of the seats a bit at first but then you get used to them and don't notice them at all anymore.

Getting in and out is probably the only pet peeve I have about that car but the seats are no problem and not many guys are going to have a bigger back than me.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Dave,
i order a 2010 Cayman S recently and had the same questions as you, about the different seats. As many have already said it is a personal choice, I was able to sit in all three and found the bolsters in the Sport Seats were a problem for me. The comfort of adaptive did not impress me and and they weight more. After a long test drive with the standard seats I order Cayman with the standard seats. The second personal choice is manual or PDK, again I would suggest that you have a long test drive with both types of transmissions to avoid any regrets later.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all of this valuable info.

I now have to goto the dealership and really test out the seats now. You all have had a lot of positive things to say about the Adaptive Sports Seats. PASM was on my short list however, I am not sure if it is going to give me enough of a drop vs what I could get out of TPC Stage 2 Suspension.

Here is the next question. Now that it is confirmed that I am getting a 2011 Cayman does anyone know anything about the changes? Is the 2011 going to be a completely different car due to the new deal with Austria’s Magna Steyr? Is this the year that they were talking about a 4 cylinder turbo or is it going to be a flat six boxter engine?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts