Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to ride in one today at a Hooked On Driving DE at Laguna Seca.

I was able to compare the LightWeight almost directly to my RS60 Spyder: Same tires, very similar configuration: My RS60 has a little more power, and the LightWeight is just that, about 200 plus lbs lighter. Both cars were running the same size and model Bridgstone N spec tires.

I think the most impressive aspect of the LightWeight on the track is how "flat" the handling is, must have much stiffer a/r bars.

The car at Laguna was Silver with an all red interior. Seats are 997 GT3 Sport Seats with carbon fiber weave in the body.

I was told that PCNA brought 13 or so of these very special cars into the Country. They are all going to be shipped back to Germany in the near future.

It was a really treat to see this car in person, and to get a few hot laps on board too!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the same model as was shown at the LA Auto show last week (although the one that I got the ride in was silver w/red interior

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not have my camera. gotbluemilk.com photo service took a bunch of pictures. type in gotbluemilk, go to their website, go to the calandar, The Boxster Spyder is car #46. My car is #90.

Pictures on the front straight fo the #46 Boxster Sypder that have two persons in the car: I'm the passenger (Porsche emblem on side of my helmet is the tip off).

I bought the 8 1/2 x 11 print of that one!

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I a bit at a loss with respect to the appeal of a light weight Boxster. Boxster's in general are not the best choice for a track car since quite a few clubs don't allow them. So, a lightweight Cayman, to me, makes a lot more sense.

Personally, I'd rather have a normal Boxster to enjoy on the roads and not have one so focused on the track. Ever try to drive with the top down in city traffic on a hot day? Not fun without AC and being able to put the top up when you're overcooked by the sun.

Bring on the LTW Cayman :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun!

The more I see pictures of the Boxster Spyder, though, the more I don't like the styling. I agree that making a track car out of a convertible was probably not the best choice.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Agreed, a lightweight Cayman would probably hit a larger market if you are truly going for the track crowd. Pop a CF roof on it (M3 like) strip it down, racing seats, etc.

I don't doubt that they would go that route sooner or later, unless they are worried about messing with the GT3 market.

Better yet: Find some way to hardtop convertible the Cayman.

·
Registered
620 Posts
....Better yet: Find some way to hardtop convertible the Cayman.
The Cayman chassis is aprox twice as torsionally stiff as the Boxster - largely due to the fixed roof. For a given chassis, any convertible configuration reduces chassis stiffness (compared to a fixed hardtop). Hardtop convertibles generally weigh more than fabric ones.

While I won't be buying a Boxster Spyder, I definitely think it has it's place, and I aplaud Porsche for building it. I don't think it's literally meant to be a serious track car - more a very sporty and nimble street car. I think we'll see a lightweight Cayman in due course.

Just my two cents. Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the ussual: IPD intake/mass air sensor. Flash the DME to recognize the 100 octate racing unleaded. The 330 hp figure was deturmined by using the Traqmate program (acceleration data with car weight info)

Go to the Sharkwerks website and follow the links to the Boxster section (pictures and track video are of my car!) They did my mods and are the best around the Bay Area, even though most of their work is on the 911 and Cayman.

On youtube: RS60 thunderhill search will also show our RS60 at full song.

I get comments at the track like: "what have you done to your car, it sure is fast" This is often from other Porsche drivers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts