Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GPS of my 981 sucks. (The GPS on my wife's Mercedes sucks too. Must be something to do with German GPSs.) It will tell you where you are (unless you are on a new section of highway) but it is almost impossible to enter a destination. Yes, I know I can use my cell phone but I shouldn't have to.

My rant for the day. That is all. :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the funniest thing I've read on the internet all week.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
The GPS of my 981 sucks. (The GPS on my wife's Mercedes sucks too. Must be something to do with German GPSs.) It will tell you where you are (unless you are on a new section of highway) but it is almost impossible to enter a destination. Yes, I know I can use my cell phone but I shouldn't have to.

My rant for the day. That is all. :cheers:
Just for reference... entering destinations on the 981 GPS is easy compared to our Acura RDX... just say'in..
D

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whats the issue. Never had an issue with mine and use it a decent anount as mine is a DD.
Two issues:

1. The Mercedes and the Porsche GPSs are at least two or three years behind on data. For example, Charlotte has several new sections of beltway. Those sections are several years old but they are not on either of my car's GPSs. So I use my iPhone to guide me. :( Come on Mercedes/Porsche, make it easy to update your information.

2. The Mercedes and the Porsche GPSs are not intuitive. It is a pain in the a$$ to enter a destination. (Yes, I know how to use a GPS. I have been using a GPS since they were first made available to the public. My first GPS sent you to a coordinate and directed you there with an arrow. :crazy: There was no street-by-street guidance.)

Like I said above . . . That was just my rant for the day.

(By the way, I stopped using a GPS on my motorcycles. I found that I have a more enjoyable ride without a GPS. If I get lost I look at my phone. :) )

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rarely use it but it generally works okay for us when we do. It is a bit counter-intuitive though. But I was surprised that it could navigate on dirt state forest roads here in PA.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say it's impossible. It can certainly be done. I'd also call it counterintuitive. Maybe it's intuitive if you're German?
A large percentage of my ancestors are German. I lived in Germany for four years. I visit Germany once a year. All you need in Germany is a good ADAC (their version of AAA) map and good road signs. :cheers: "GPS?" "We don't need no stinking GPS." :)

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
you know the technology is moving so fast that 4 year old products are now almost obsolete.. i mean 4 years ago was 2013 .. iPhone 5 was out.. i think i have given my iPhone 5 to my 7 year old son for calling me after school.. now.. Waze is a lot better than 4 years ago.. i use it more than my caymans gps..and sad to say its more accurate..

Lemon

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'll see your sucky German GPS and raise you the C6 corvette GPS, everything I've got. :) It was so bad they included a 90 page (yes ninety pages) separate manual to try and help.
My Audi has a completely different way of entering data than the Porsche and that can be confusing. Considering they are both owned by VW, why don't they have similar systems? Seems like the economy of scale savings could apply.
While I understand your beef with out of date maps, all 3 of my cars are out of date, I never go on a long trip without a good old-fashioned analog map along for the trip.

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't get it why Porsche and for that matter all other manufacturers don't include a GPS with the option to create a route? Why do I have to rely on phone apps or a motorcycle navigation to accomplish this..

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't get it why Porsche and for that matter all other manufacturers don't include a GPS with the option to create a route? Why do I have to rely on phone apps or a motorcycle navigation to accomplish this..
With Mercedes you are supposed to be able to create a route on your computer and send it to your car GPS. I have never been able to make that work. There is a person at the dealership who's one job is to show you how your car's "features" work. She couldn't show me how to save a route from my computer to my car.

I had a Mercedes loaner last month . . . while my wife's 2017 E300 was in for over a week getting new suspension parts. :wall: The loaner had a Garmin based map . . . but you could hardly see the little lines that were supposed to be roads.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've never understood why auto makers insist on rolling their own GPS navigation applications. I realize maybe at one time it was necessary, but you'd think it would be cheaper to license the core software from a known company such as Garmin, having a set of maps that could be updated from a cell phone over the USB port. I realize that they would want to standardize the interface, but there should be a way to do that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've never understood why auto makers insist on rolling their own GPS navigation applications.
They don’t. Automobile manufacturers couldn’t make a head unit if their lives depended on it. Your PCM was made by Harman:

Harman International | Connected Car | Lifestyle Audio Solutions

Porsche would contract with them and would spec what they wanted including customization. Garmin software does show up in other after-market units (I think Clarion uses them).

What I am curious about is who Porsche have contracted with to build the systems in the Mission-E. Could be Harmon again, but I guess we’ll see. They sure wont be doing it themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.