Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I witnessed something very cool. The initial shake down of a brand new Grand-Am CaymanS prepaired by BGB Racing. As this is a new car and today was the first day that the wheels turned in anger, driver Craig Stanton who has been with the team for several years did only a limited number of laps but it was enough for the crew to get a preview of the car's capabilities. There were abundent smiles as the team left the track.
BGB Racing is known for preparing 911s and winning the Daytona opener a couple years ago with a 911. Now that team owner John Moore has decided to field 2 Caymans for this season, I think that it is only a matter of time before we see one of our beloved Caymans win a race. Debut of the racing Caymans is set for the 3 Hour Daytona opener prior to the Daytona 24 Hour race in late January 2010. I can't wait.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Grand-Am CaymanS

Here are some more photos of the Grand-Am CaymanS by BGB Racing.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Very cool.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Re: Grand-Am CaymanS

Looking forward to the race now.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Can you give us some insight into the preparation of the car besides the roll cage, racing seats and Hoosiers? THanks. Ed

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Shhhhhh this wasn't supposed to be made public yet. :)

We'll have an "official" announcement on the site this week, you know after all the results come back, etc. but yeah this has been a long time coming and my sources tell me they are pleased thus far and cannot wait until race season begins!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
So what is the major differences between the Grand Am Race Caymans and the Interseries Race Caymans?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Nice! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to hear more.

-Moto

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
So what is the major differences between the Grand Am Race Caymans and the Interseries Race Caymans?
Spec differences, you'd have to see the rules from each and compare, I know I posted the Grand Am rules back when they were decided. The CI cars are mostly built by Napleton whereas Grand Am cars are being built by different race teams across the country. CI cars have the cool 917 style liveries too, not sure how the GA cars will be dressed. All black is kind of cool in a Darth Vaderish sort of way...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Don’t the Caymans in Interseries only race against each other?

From the BGB site, their cars will be up against the Porsche 996 and 997, Nissan 350Z, BMW M3, and other foreign makes along with the Pontiac GTO and the Ford Mustang FR500C.

Welcome to BGB Motorsports

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ed, I was asked not to give out more information. I am sure that the team will release more information as it gets closer to the racing season. I am planning to visit the race shop in the near future. I'll ask for more information that can be released. I think that the important thing at this point is that BGB Racing has made the commitment to prep and race two Caymans. At least one car is complete and initial shakedown is out of the way. January will be here soon.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
The 2010 Grand-Am Koni series schedule will feature eleven Events with 10 races, across North America. Nine of those races will be held in conjunction with Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16, with one standalone Koni Challenge Series event. The complete schedule is listed below. The accompanying 2010 SpeedTV broadcast schedule is not yet available.
2010 Koni Challenge Series Schedule

TEST DAYS AT DAYTONA
January 8-10, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida

FRESH FROM FLORIDA 200
January 29, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Length TBD - Combined GS & ST

March 6-7, 2010
Homestead, FL
KONI Challenge at
Homestead-Miami Speedway
RACE LENGTH TBD

April 9-10, 2010
Barber
Birmingham, AL
Porsche 250 by Bradley Arant
RACE LENGTH TBD

May 28-29, 2010
Lakeville, CT
Grand-Am GT Classic
RACE LENGTH TBD - GS ONLY

June 5-6, 2010
Glen
Watkins Glen, New York
6 Hours of the Glen
RACE LENGTH TBD - Combined GS & ST

June 19-20, 2010
ohio
Mansfield, Ohio
EMCO Gears Classic
RACE LENGTH TBD

July 17-18, 2010
NJ Motorsports Park
Millville, NJ
Koni Challenge at NJ Motorsports Park
RACE LENGTH TBD

August 13, 2010
GP3R
Trois-Rivières, Quebec
Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières

September 11-12, 2010
Tooele, UT
KONI Challenge at
Miller Motorsports Park

October 24-25, 2010
Alton, VA
Koni Challenge at VIR
RACE LENGTH TBD - Combined GS & S

·
Registered
524 Posts
Love Craig, He is a Great driver in the cayman and will do us all proud! As a car over all Craig said he likes the car and how it feels compared to his normal 911 rides.

The week Before he was at Botton Willow for the EuroTuner GP driving the FrankinCayman! riding with him compared to my driving.. HAHA, I felt Like was doing 20 mph.. Was always on the edge when Craig was driving ( and he said he was only doing 92% of what the can can do. )

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Bodhii,

didn't I just see you post this on another forum:

"And the Alzen Cayman that finished 4th in the 2007 24hr Nurgburgring, the Cayman's very first big race! Immediately after race, Porsche declared it would permanently withdraw any and all support to any independent team that continued to race the Cayman!"

Does not look good, especially if you race against 911s.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Schwabe, BGB Racing and their Caymans are not eligible to race in the Rolex Series, which is the top Grand Am series, and where you will see the preeminent standard of Porsche Motorsport Racing. They are racing in the very limited KONI Challenge Series. This represents no direct challenge to the 911 as did the 2007 24hr. Nurburgring race. Porsche, I'm sure, will wish good luck to any such KONI Series Caymans, knowing well that Cayman's setup for the Koni Series are not competitive threats to the current 911 997.2 GT3R's,

Grand-Am Koni Sports Car Challenge Series

The Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge Series is Grand-Am's showcase for the latest in international and American-made high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans straight from the dealer showroom floor. With major modifications permitted only in the area of safety, the KONI Challenge Series is home to the same cars seen on streets and highways around the world every day. The 2007 season marked the seventh year that Grand-Am has owned and sanctioned the KONI Challenge Series, which was previously known as the Grand-Am Cup Series before KONI signed-on as the title sponsor of the series in late 2006.

The starting fields for KONI Challenge Series races typically feature more than 50 of today's hottest import and domestic production cars that usually race together while competing for both class honors and the overall victory. Series races--which range from 200 to 250 miles in length except for the three-hour season-opener at Daytona and twin six-hour events to close the season at Virginia International Raceway--are primarily run as the featured support events for the Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve. The KONI Challenge Series however did step into the spotlight with a few feature races of its own in 2007. The trend will continue for 2008 as they spotlight some of their own races and support the Rolex Sports Car Series for their mid-atlantic debut at the inaugural Professional event at Thunderbolt Raceway at the New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Like the Rolex Series, the KONI Challenge Series is made up of two classes of race cars. The big-bore Grand Sport (GS) class features a rules package that allows exotic international machines like the Porsche 996 and 997, Nissan 350Z, BMW M3, and others to go head-to-head with American iron such as the Pontiac GTO and the Ford Mustang FR500C. The smaller Street Tuner (ST) class is Grand American's offering to the import and compact car crowd, with the Mazda RX-8, Chevrolet Cobalt SS, Dodge SRT4, Mini Cooper S, Acura RSX and TSX, a variety of BMWs 3 series and Z4s and other models eligible. In 2008, the GS and ST classes will run separately from each other in every race with the exception of the Daytona opener in January, Watkins Glen International in July, Iowa Speedway in August and Miller Motorsports Park in September.

All KONI Challenge Series classes run on Hoosier tires, and at least two drivers must drive in each competing race car under green flag conditions, making at least one driver change mandatory.

Beginning in 2007, the KONI Challenge Series included a separate points race for competitors using KONI shocks, which was considered an independent championship throughout the season. This "championship within a championship" was worth $10,000 to the top point earners in both the Grand Sport (GS) and Street Tuner (ST) classes using KONI shocks.

GRAND SPORT (GS)
The Grand Sport (GS) class is made up of several factory sports and muscle cars from around the word with minimal performance modifications, but full safety systems. Minimum weights range from 2,900 lbs. to 3,300 lbs.

Engines are tuned to produce between 350 and 405 horsepower depending on the car, and the competition is further equalized by a variety of fuel tank capacities that range from 19 gallons for the Porsche 997 to 20 gallons for the BMW M3, Pontiac GTO, Cadillac CTS-V and Ford Mustang. Top speed for most GS cars is 160 mph.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I am no racing expert, but it sounds like there are a lot of variables that will determine how competitive a Cayman can be in the series. This is the reason I need to subscribe to SPEED. GO BGB!

Keep this thread updated, Daytona. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Did some googling and found that the Grand Am Koni series is now the Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and Continental have a 5 year deal as title sponsor and exclusive tire supplier.

Speed TV has not posted their schedule for 2010 apparently. I hope they broadcast live. I may have to go to some of these races in 2010.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts