Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to improve the sound of their base stereo by simply installing a cheap graphic equalizer? Since my main issue is the lack of midrange, this seems like the GE might be a simple fix to improve the system without tearing it completely apart, buying all new components, and spending a lot of dough. I want improvement, but not necessarily a killer sound system like the car stereo guys want to sell me. I'd just put it inside the hood compartment and play around with it until I got the sound right. It's cheap enough that I'd be willing to give it a try except I am kind of scared to wire it in. What would it wire to? Would I need to cut battery power, and what would that do to the car? Any ideas? Good idea or complete waste of time?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a particular graphic EQ that you are looking to add?

I would assume that the base audio system in your car is simply the head unit's internal power amplifier applied to the speakers in the door and dash. You'd have to buy an eq that accepts the head units speaker level output and then have it's own internal amplifier after the graphic eq section.

You'd have to splice into the wiring behind the head unit in order to "patch in" the eq. It can be done if you remove the head unit and have a wiring diagram to tell you which wires are for which speakers. You could easily wire in a constant on source for 12 volt power by going right to the battery positive terminal and a ground is easy enough to find, but you'd then have to find a 12v + remote on source to switch on the EQ whenever you powered up the sound system. You may gain some control of select frequencies, but depending on the unit, you may or may not gain fidelity if the powered EQ is not of high quality.

It's all kinda "old school", but this basic concept has been done for years. I started my car audio experience with a powered eq in my first car back in '84.

You may find that simply replacing the head unit with a higher quality aftermarket unit would probably yield better results and would be a cleaner and more simple installation that won't negatively affect the wiring harness of your car. Most of the current head units that fit our cars have some pretty robust graphic eq's built in them. Even my cheesy Pioneer has a 7 band graphic EQ built in. These OEM Becker units are not very robust in power outputs or fidelity.

There are install kits available that make swapping out a head unit in a Boxster/Cayman pretty darn easy and allow for a factory look. I got my install kit from Euro-Motorspeed.

Good Luck!

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911

1 - 2 of 2 Posts