Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last I got my Cayman and started my trip from the UK (where I bought it) to the South of France (where I live).

Driving this thing is unbelievable! My English is not good enough to describe feeling and performance.

On the plus side there is the confort, which is better than expected with 19" and no PASM.

Also the sound from the Bose seems OK to me (not an expert): I have got the Poly-fill (actually the Acusta-Stuf) but I really don't know if I'll bother doing the subwoofer mod.

On the minus side: I have got a failure of the spoiler control unit and the think is stuck high all the time, with an annoying failure on control panel (white on black below 70 mph, red on black above it).

So here you go: new car and I already have to visit Porsche Garage as soon as I get home!

This is not the first time that somebody with a CS-II reports about a failure of the spoiler: I wonder if they cost reduced something that used to work on GEN-I.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Felicitations! Elle est super belle!
J'ai toujours aime la Cayman en blanc.

Si tu as l'occasion d'aller sur circuit, tu ne le regrettera pas. J'y suis alle lundi dernier et c'est impressionant!
Salut!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Looks beautiful.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Felicitations! Elle est super belle!
J'ai toujours aime la Cayman en blanc.

Si tu as l'occasion d'aller sur circuit, tu ne le regrettera pas. J'y suis alle lundi dernier et c'est impressionant!
Salut!
Merci,
c'est vrai qu'elle super belle mais je suis un peu déçu par l'histoire du spoiler: je m'attandais à plus de qualité chez Porsche.

Pour le circuit, je vais voir: pour l'instant c'est une joie de l'amener sur la route normale.:banana:

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Great looking car!.....wheel choice is great. Glad to hear ride is OK with the 19"s and no PASM,.....that is the config I will probably be ordering on my next one.

Yeah, Bose is decent for the money. I've wanted to "stuff" my subwoofer, but still haven't gotten around to it.

Sorry to hear about the spoiler issue,....the dealer should have it solved quickly. Don't fret.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
On the minus side: I have got a failure of the spoiler control unit and the think is stuck high all the time, with an annoying failure on control panel (white on black below 70 mph, red on black above it).
I'm not sure if the GenII is the same, but the GenI manual seems to indicate your spoiler is not extending completely:

from 2007 Owners Manual

Warning light
The warning light in the on-board computer lights
up when the rear spoiler does not extend over
75 mph (120 km/h) or its end position is not
reached.

Automatic control
The rear spoiler extends at approx. 75 mph
(120 km/h) and retracts again at approx. 50 mph
(80 km/h).
If the automatic control fails, the warning light lights
up and the rear spoiler must be manually extended
before driving.
Best of luck with your new purchase, and hopefully it turns out to be a minor problem.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Congrats on your new car - hope they get the spoiler issue sorted out to your satisfaction. You won't be disappointed in the car otherwise . . .

P.S. Now you have to change your signature ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
White is one of my favorite colors on the Cayman. The car looks great. On the spoiler problem i your last photo from the rear it appears that the spoiler is stuck in a mid position.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your new car - hope they get the spoiler issue sorted out to your satisfaction. You won't be disappointed in the car otherwise . . .

P.S. Now you have to change your signature ;)

:cheers:
Donea:dance:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
A

So here you go: new car and I already have to visit Porsche Garage as soon as I get home!

This is not the first time that somebody with a CS-II reports about a failure of the spoiler: I wonder if they cost reduced something that used to work on GEN-I.
You must have missed my post a few days ago
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/38854-my-baby-has-arrived.html

This is a known problem & Porsche are sending out the code within the next day or so. You can lower the spoiler via the button in the mean time, hang in there brother.

·
Registered
111 Posts
At last I got my Cayman and started my trip from the UK (where I bought it) to the South of France (where I live).

Driving this thing is unbelievable! My English is not good enough to describe feeling and performance.

On the plus side there is the confort, which is better than expected with 19" and no PASM.

Also the sound from the Bose seems OK to me (not an expert): I have got the Poly-fill (actually the Acusta-Stuf) but I really don't know if I'll bother doing the subwoofer mod.

White Cayman S + roads in the Alpes Maritimes = about as close you can get to driving Nirvana.

Might see you some day on the Col du Turini.

Bonne route!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
White Cayman S + roads in the Alpes Maritimes = about as close you can get to driving Nirvana.

Might see you some day on the Col du Turini.

Bonne route!
Nirvana would include Monaco's plate 987S but that is next to impossible.

See you somewhere between the Promenade et la Haute Corniche!

(les cols du SanRemo ont beaucoup moins des flics et les radars ne connaissent pas les plaques étrangères: essaie la Castelvecchio-Bardineto!) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
This is a known problem & Porsche are sending out the code within the next day or so. You can lower the spoiler via the button in the mean time, hang in there brother.
Problem solved yesterday!, my dealer loaded an updated program now all is good :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nirvana would include Monaco's plate 987S but that is next to impossible.

See you somewhere between the Promenade et la Haute Corniche!

(les cols du SanRemo ont beaucoup moins des flics et les radars ne connaissent pas les plaques étrangères: essaie la Castelvecchio-Bardineto!) ;)
D'accord, merci. Mois je suis en Vaucluse et je fais le Mont Ventoux et les Gorges de Vernon et de Nesques souvent. Je vais essayer la Castelvecchio-Barnideto quand je serais dans le coin.
Avec toutes cettes bonnes routes, pas de besoin d'aller sur le curcuit a mon avis.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved yesterday!, my dealer loaded an updated program now all is good :)
Can't be the same problem because Porsche garage in Monaco could not even 'understand' it in 2 days (then I needed the car again).

They are going to try again next week but they say that it may not be until the following one before they can fix it!!

By the way, my manual switch has no effect on the spoiler.

In the meanwhile I start to like the shape of the car 'spoiler-up': if it wasn't for the annoying red failure above 70mph hides (that any other message on dashboard) I would keep it as it is.

The rest of the car is just fantastic with PDK being the best part, followed closely by the push and the sound that you get above 4krpm.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The main controller for the rear section sits underneath the passenger seat. This controller module sends the signal to the rear spoiler. If the spoiler is constantly in the up position and the fault registers on the dashboard then its either coding or control unit. If both of these are found to be in working order then it's the spoiler motor it self. The spoiler mech is bolted down with 3 bolts underneath the rear boot trim, easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info (I saw the extraction the CU from underneath the seat) but I won't dare touching a car that is 7 days old: I expect Porsche to fix it.

I am already disappointed enough that they can deliver a car of that cost with that high performance and such an obvious failure.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Porsche garage could finally fix this through new software download: now all seems to work ok.

A shame: I started to like the 'spoiler-up' shape... I think I'll use that Manual switch more than once!! ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts