Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon Prime carries a full line of Braille Intensity Lithium Carbon batteries, which are the real deal 10-19 pound batteries you can use in daily drivers without getting stranded. These batteries only require 20% of the energy to charge as a lead acid, so it reduces the strain on the alternator and frees up horsepower (though this would be impossible to measure on a dyno since it's dynamic). It also turns over the engine (to start it) several times faster. The battery should last 10 years.

It's $1500, which is a significant discount from retail and includes free 2 day shipping or $9 one day shipping. I think the "Group 48" is the proper size for the 981, but I don't have confirmation.

http://www.amazon.com/Braille-Batte...&qid=1417971676&sr=8-1&keywords=i48cx+braille

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. That's a lot for a battery!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cool. Let us know how the fitment worked out. I looked into lithium batteries for my 2013BS but ultimately didn't pull the trigger. Pls weigh the oem battery once you have made the swap. I'm curious about the weight savings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was also concerned about how a lithium battery would respond to the demands to the start stop technology we have in our cars - how I hate it. I sometimes forget to switch it off.

i was considering between Braille, Voltphreaks, Lithium Pros and one other brand (forget which). Low voltage (over discharge) protection and overcharging protection, cell balancing, remote startup ability (so you are not left stranded if your battery drains) were considerations for me. The OEM lithium batt from the 987 gen cars lacked those features and went dead quite often it seemed.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also concerned about how a lithium battery would respond to the demands to the start stop technology we have in our cars - how I hate it. I sometimes forget to switch it off.

i was considering between Braille, Voltphreaks, Lithium Pros and one other brand (forget which). Low voltage (over discharge) protection and overcharging protection, cell balancing, remote startup ability (so you are not left stranded if your battery drains) were considerations for me. The OEM lithium batt from the 987 gen cars lacked those features and went dead quite often it seemed.
I think this car would do better with a lithium than a lead acid with start/stop. The reason being is it's easier to recharge the battery than a lead acid, because the conduction is 5x greater. It's very inefficient to charge lead acid and it's a big draw on the motor (via the alternator), 2nd only to air conditioning and maybe power electric steering.

The only regression of a lithium battery over lead acid is cold starts below 20F, and the mitigation is to run some draw on the battery before cranking (e.g. turn the headlights on for 15 seconds).

I actually put this particular battery in my S4 as that car is approaching 5 years old. I like it so far and if it's solid after a year I'll do the Boxster. I saved 49 pounds in the S4; in the Boxster I'd imagine it'd save ~39 pounds. But more importantly it would take strain off of the alternator.

Reactions: Arch and jwwu

·
Porsche Newbie
170 Posts
I actually put this particular battery in my S4 as that car is approaching 5 years old. I like it so far and if it's solid after a year I'll do the Boxster. I saved 49 pounds in the S4; in the Boxster I'd imagine it'd save ~39 pounds. But more importantly it would take strain off of the alternator.
What do you like about it in your S4? Noticeable difference with anything in particular?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What do you like about it in your S4? Noticeable difference with anything in particular?
It's just light, high tech, stable, doesn't have lead, isn't a bucket of acid, will last for the rest of the life of the car (like the car will go to the landfill with this battery). It makes me feel like I don't need a 2015 because I can bolt this new car tech into a 5 year old car.

IMG_20141212_213312.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts