Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings to all , i was reading this forum for quite long time and i think its very helpfull with a good Porsche community.
I own a Cayman S (987 2008 model) and lately i was thinking about making some mods.The problem is that i got limited knowledge about mechanical and engine things (but willing to do my "homework").
My budget right now is 2.000 Euro (thats for start i'll add more in time i just want to see what happens with my first mods).
So lets better get to my questions...
With 2k budget , what could i add to gain more Hp and Torque ? Somebody said that i should propably install a Software and an exhaust for start and by that i'll get immediate improvements.
So... what software should i install ? A friend of mine told me he knows a shop where they install Techart program , whats your opinion on that ?Should i prefer something else ?What about the price ?
For engine parts , what exhaust should i prefer ?I know that some good exhausts that give Hp plus good sound are Capristo , Fabspeed , Milltek etc , but which one would be within my budget range ? Is there any better solution value/upgrade wise ?

So , to sum everything up , im looking primarily for an exhaust plus a software, if some money is left i could add a plenum ( but propably i dont think my budget is enough right now)
With an exhaust and a software should i be able , in normal circumstances , gain a solid 15-20 HP and 5-10 torque ? Will i have some difference in driving ? I drive my car in city roads plus highways and country roads and never in circuits , so i guess i propably need an improvement in both lower (up to 4k RPM) and higher RPM ... right ?

Thanks in advance , sorry for any language mistakes since im not a native speaker... !

·
Registered
162 Posts
depends what you want from the exhaust. different exhausts have different sounds and some have drone or even a feature to open and close valves (usually mroe expensive though). if you just want horsepower and torque id go with fabspeed race exhaust. Theres a thread on this forum dedicated to exhausts so give that a look before purschasing. good luck with your car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will fab speed give me also a better sound than stock ? Also what about software ? How much improvement will I have with fab speed ? Will I get 10-15 hp ?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I know many here will hate me for saying this. You admit you have limited knowledge about mods. My advice is stay away from modifying your Porsche.

Attempt mods first on a cheaper car that you can afford to lose.

Porsche is an expensive car to maintain and expensive to lose and expensive when depreciates with mods. If you can afford the bill of modification you still won't afford the bill of headache especially with your limited knowledge.

Those who mod their cars are usually with deep pockets, experienced or DIY kind of person... if not all together. Just like high risk investments, you need to be able to afford losing it all... or else move on.

Reactions: ReconTrojan

·
Registered
25 Posts
you saidSo ," to sum everything up , im looking primarily for an exhaust plus a software,"

Have a look on the carnewal website under gt catback exhaust, they do an exchange item for about 500 euro. Then look up softronic and consider one of their ecu maps. I have both on my car and I recommend both as do many on here. You will still have change from your 2000 EUR, a great exhaust with just the right sound and no drone. In the meantime do lots of searches on here and you will find a mine of information for what to do next..

·
Registered
425 Posts
How much improvement will I have with fab speed ? Will I get 10-15 hp ?
I'll offer this from my experience. If you are trying to make power, you need to do dyno runs before and after.

Quoted horsepower gains like 10-15hp are very misleading. I used to think if I got an exhaust that advertised 'up to 15 hp' and a cold air intake advertised as 'up to 10 hp' that if my car was making 200 bhp that after the mods it would be up to 225.

The reality is the horsepower estimates are applied under ideal conditions, which might mean that when they tested the exhaust they had already installed a cold air intake but that the cold air intake really needed a free flowing exhaust to make improvements. So the power gains were amplified when the exhaust was installed. They would do the same when determining the hp for the cold air intake, test it on a car already with a free flowing exhaust installed. The result is that a lot of those numbers are overlapping.

The second point to make is that they say nothing about peak horsepower. Saying I got a 15 hp gain doesn't mean peak horsepower went up 15 hp. It just means somewhere in the power band there was a power jump. Peak horsepower may have gone up or it may have gone down. It is very likely you will lose power somewhere to gain power somewhere else. This is why you need to dyno.

A dyno will also introduce you to the concept of 'horsepower at the wheels'. In my experience sports exhaust on normally aspirated cars lose a little low end torque but breath better on the high end, so the power band moves up a bit. That's great if you like to work the upper parts of the RPMs, not as good if you are stuck in traffic a lot.

But there's no other way to learn than to do your homework and give things a try, but I do recommend verifying your results. I've seen some idiots make 'cold air intakes' out of things that looked like shop vac hosing and claimed it was making more power than stock. Porsche does employ some pretty sharp people, so the only way to find power they haven't is to be willing to make trade offs that the engineers at Porsche weren't willing (or allowed) to make.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will fab speed give me also a better sound than stock ? Also what about software ? How much improvement will I have with fab speed ? Will I get 10-15 hp ?
"better" is very subjective. find some youtube vids or see if there is a forum member near you with one so you can hear it in person. it will definitely be louder lol.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
€2k is basically the installed cost of an exhaust mod, which is entirely reversible. There are lots of choices, none "perfect" due to drone issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
you have a lot of options for exhaust so it's probably best to find some cayman owners in your area to see how each sound where available. probably best to sit inside since they sound different in cabin versus outside. boxsters probably won't have as much resonance since caymans have a rear window that reflects. most aftermarket exhaust will give some sort of drone within the 3k range. fabspeed race is the loudest, lightest, and free flowing but to some, like myself and wife, it is unbearable for everyday driving. i had one installed and took it off 3 days later. i was really heartbroken. the maxflo is probably much less subtle. remus i hear doesn't resonate as much but never had one installed. they have a titanium version too that will last the duration of the car but $$$. i also had a miltek but it looked weathered after awhile and could have some rubbing problems if you plan to lower the car. capristo is very nice and expensive. armytrix is the new kid on the block but i haven't tried looking at the cost and availability. there is a thread from a member here on p9. carnewal gt is a good bet for close to oem and sounds good without the unwanted attention for some. i've done quite a bit of trial and error, research, and decided to remain stock for now due to smog but will probably have a go at it again. first for me would be a softronics tune as the base. then go for carnewel, remus, or fabspeed maxflo. and finally followed by a upgraded plenum. like you, i an 08 987.1CS but with tiptronic and sport chrono.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wanted to lightly mod my 987.1 Boxster S 6spd MT and get some extra growl and power. Decided on an ECU tune from Vivid Racing (Scottsdale, AZ) combined with a Borla catback race exhaust. Come sell time, I can reinstall the stock exhaust (which I kept) and reflash my ECU back to original stock (just need a Win7 laptop). The ECU tune comes in it's own case, so it can be an added feature come sell time.

The ECU/exhaust combo behaves/sounds like stock around town, sings loud gorgeous notes when pushed, and provides a little bit more rumble while increasing throttle response. You can definitely feel the increased performance. If you are interested, search "borla boxster" and check out my stock vs. Borla video on YouTube. As many will tell you, you have plenty of high quality exhaust options out there to choose from. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
162 Posts
armytrix is the new kid on the block but i haven't tried looking at the cost and availability.
Cost is comparable with capristo i think. Ive got the armytrix installed on my car and i really like it. remote function is great so you can minimise drone in the car (still a bit of drone when u are slowly accelerating uphill but nothing unbearable) and noise levels so you dont wake the neighbours, open the valves and sounds aggressive at low rpm and very f1-like at high rpm. you can definitely raise some hell with this one. id be happy to show you if you are near sydney australia :p

Reactions: cheech

·
Registered
684 Posts
Here is another line of thought- If you dont plan on tracking your car you will not really feel 10-15 HP on the street. What about just a sport muffler for some sound and some tactile mods that are pretty easy like, Short Shifter (if you have a manual). It is a great "feel" mod. And the GT3 master cylinder. Although mostly a "track" mod, it really improves the brake feel. Then there are tons of interior mods to do to the cockpit. These are all pretty easy to do and would help you get your feet wet in modding your car and stay on budget.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your opinions , i will think about them.
@ Flybot , a sport muffler will give me some better sound without any problems , right ? (like orange engine light)

For a software upgrade , shall i prefer softronic ? @PR36 you got a PM my friend !

My car is also with tiptronic , is there any software/hardware to make it respond a bit faster or to upgrade it , and if yes at what cost ?
Thank you

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know many here will hate me for saying this. You admit you have limited knowledge about mods. My advice is stay away from modifying your Porsche.

Attempt mods first on a cheaper car that you can afford to lose.

Porsche is an expensive car to maintain and expensive to lose and expensive when depreciates with mods. If you can afford the bill of modification you still won't afford the bill of headache especially with your limited knowledge.

Those who mod their cars are usually with deep pockets, experienced or DIY kind of person... if not all together. Just like high risk investments, you need to be able to afford losing it all... or else move on.
+.5, I half way agree with Hassaan on this one. Logically making a small mod or two doesn’t make sense however emotionally it can be very gratifying. You’ll barely notice 10 to 15 HP and you won’t notice it for long but it will still be fun to brag about your mods.

If you’re going to do it the best way to approach it is to set goals and work it backwards, say ‘I want this much HP, I want this sound, I want the car to handle like this, etc. ’ then build the car on paper then start buying stuff. This way you don’t spend a lot of money now on say an ECU flash then next year find out the ECU flash isn’t compatible with your next upgrade so then you have to buy a new ECU flash again. That’s just quick example. If all your after is a better sound it will be a short build list but I think you'll find once you start you cant stop, its like crack, you'll always be looking for the next 5 or 10 HP.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cost is comparable with capristo i think. Ive got the armytrix installed on my car and i really like it. remote function is great so you can minimise drone in the car (still a bit of drone when u are slowly accelerating uphill but nothing unbearable) and noise levels so you dont wake the neighbours, open the valves and sounds aggressive at low rpm and very f1-like at high rpm. you can definitely raise some hell with this one. id be happy to show you if you are near sydney australia :p
guess i'm going to sydney!! the armytrix exhaust looks really nice and i'm sure it sounds [email protected]$$!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thank you for your opinions , i will think about them.
@ Flybot , a sport muffler will give me some better sound without any problems , right ? (like orange engine light)

For a software upgrade , shall i prefer softronic ? @PR36 you got a PM my friend !

My car is also with tiptronic , is there any software/hardware to make it respond a bit faster or to upgrade it , and if yes at what cost ?
Thank you
porsche has a sport mode that you can have dealer install. check out suncoastparts.com. it has a more aggressive mapping so it improves throttle response and holds your rpm longer. believe it or not, the best mod i did for the tip was install Raid steering wheel with paddle shifters. shifting is easy and fast compared to the clunky switch buttons that you can accidentally hit when making a u-turn. poor poor design porsche!

847 Posts
Greetings to all , i was reading this forum for quite long time and i think its very helpfull with a good Porsche community.
I own a Cayman S (987 2008 model) and lately i was thinking about making some mods.The problem is that i got limited knowledge about mechanical and engine things (but willing to do my "homework").
My budget right now is 2.000 Euro (thats for start i'll add more in time i just want to see what happens with my first mods).
So lets better get to my questions...
With 2k budget , what could i add to gain more Hp and Torque ? Somebody said that i should propably install a Software and an exhaust for start and by that i'll get immediate improvements.
So... what software should i install ? A friend of mine told me he knows a shop where they install Techart program , whats your opinion on that ?Should i prefer something else ?What about the price ?
For engine parts , what exhaust should i prefer ?I know that some good exhausts that give Hp plus good sound are Capristo , Fabspeed , Milltek etc , but which one would be within my budget range ? Is there any better solution value/upgrade wise ?

So , to sum everything up , im looking primarily for an exhaust plus a software, if some money is left i could add a plenum ( but propably i dont think my budget is enough right now)
With an exhaust and a software should i be able , in normal circumstances , gain a solid 15-20 HP and 5-10 torque ? Will i have some difference in driving ? I drive my car in city roads plus highways and country roads and never in circuits , so i guess i propably need an improvement in both lower (up to 4k RPM) and higher RPM ... right ?

Thanks in advance , sorry for any language mistakes since im not a native speaker... !
If you are looking for an increase in horsepower and a more aggressive exhaust tone for under $2k- here it is!

Porsche 987 Boxster / Cayman Supercup Race Exhaust System - Fabspeed Motorsport 987_Race_Exhaust_Product__79082.1405423220.1280.1280.jpg

We also offer an ECU tune, but this will put you over your current budget by a few $$ if you would be doing it in conjunction with the exhaust.

987 Boxster / Cayman EVOMSit ECU Tune - Fabspeed Motorsport

·
Registered
659 Posts
The amount of HP gain IMHO is not worth it. If you're tracking the car the money would certainly be better spent on becoming a better driver. If its just a cruise around car and you want something faster you're far better off investing the money in the market and buying something else later. The 2006-2008 which I also had one is a drivers car that benefits from better tires, suspension parts and quick shifter. I have read countless threads over my 6 years on here and outside of total commitment like KMan and a few others in putting together a full compliment of mods the entry level ones just don't do much. If you want sound then a cutback will give you 15HP and a lot of noise but software is a joke and I wasted more than your initial budget plus 1000 on two different ones.

Sure your butt dyno lies to you to make you feel better about the money but now that we're on 2nd, 3rd and even 4th owners of our previous cars trust us early buyers on this. Take a look at how much Hassan spent and get ready to cry.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen
1 - 20 of 20 Posts