Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor husband is about at his wits end. His '07 Carrera S died on his way home from work a couple weeks ago. (a 25 mile commute) He said, it just died and when he tried to crank it up, it couldn't hold idle. (it's a 6 speed, btw) He wasn't happy because in heavy traffic, he could of been rear-ended. He managed to get the car into a bank parking lot. It wouldn't start. He called AAA and I drove over to get him. The next day, at the shop, they went out and guess what? It cranked right up! No error codes, nothing. It ran fine. They cleaned the fuel system and we got it back. My husband doesn't drive the car regularly I might add. A few times a week. Fast forward to this morning. He took the car, left for work. About 15 mins later I hear the garage door opening. I thought, uh oh, that's not good. He said he got down the street to the first light and the RPM'S were all over the charts. He left it and took his "beater" as he calls his old car. He's not happy.
I was wondering if anyone had an idea here. The car not holding idle and in another instance, having rpm's all over the chart. I'm no mechanic but it seems related to me.
thanks!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor. If he is is reasonably handy with a spanner try taking it out and cleaning it.
That was done already. I checked and the car is on fumes, no gas light on but I had a bad clanking in my boxster and it turned out to be bad gas. I'm sure my husband thought I was brainless for suggesting that he put some quality high octane in it but I added, you know how sensitive these engines can be sometimes. Helps to eliminate the possibility I'm thinking.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
not a nice feeling to have when you can't trust your car.... maybe its a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body?
hope its not too serious - hope you get it resolved soon....

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
not a nice feeling to have when you can't trust your car.... maybe its a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body?
hope its not too serious - hope you get it resolved soon....
+1. I had a similar issue with a 944S2. Turned out to be a crack in a small plastic elbow in the intake plumbing. Drove me nuts.

You don't mention what fault codes were set. Invaluable for getting a hint on where to start. Much easier than trying to second guess the computers. At least if it's not an in range fault.

Might also check the crank position sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts