Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in traffic today in neutral, clutch out i noticed a grinding clanking type of noise coming from underneath the car, behind me. When I depressed the clutch, it disapeared. Listening closer, I could hear the noise when moving slowly in first gear, but was soon replaced with the engine noise. I then checked my clutch travel and noticed that the clutch engaging about 4 inches off the floor. There doesn't seem to be any trouble changing gears yet or stiffness in the clutch. I drove to my local porsche repairer and he said it was most likely a problem with the flywheel and given the mileage (36,000 km (22.5K miles)) it would most likely need a cluth replacement too. Was wondering if anyone had had this type of problem, as in the noise and flywheel issue, i searched through similar threads but couldn't find one specifically like this. A $3000+ dollar repair bill 10 weeks after ownership wasn't quite what i was hoping for. That was the price of a plenum/software re-flash and borla........ bummer.:(

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone has a similar noise and are interested. It ended up being the dual mass flywheel had fused together and the thrust bearing needed replacing. Clutch and pressure plate all good, so not as much to repair as predicted.

Better it happened now, than 200+km/h down the straight at Phillip Island in Feburary.:drivingskid:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
thanks for getting back

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would you say that it sounded a bit grindy/whirry when the engine was under load (say accelerating in the 30mph range in 3rd/4th??) I have this sort of noise and its beginning to worry me a bit!

·
Registered
164 Posts
228km/h that was flat in 5th and just about on the rev limiter but you need some big ones coming out of the last corner Pillip Island is so just right for a Cayman at the time i was running Toyo 888 did 247km 2 tanks of fuel, but the best day ever, Porsche Cars AU
Open track day, i am sure it will be the best thing you have ever done in a Cayman! Sorry about your flywheel, you will soon forget it once at the island

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you say that it sounded a bit grindy/whirry when the engine was under load (say accelerating in the 30mph range in 3rd/4th??) I have this sort of noise and its beginning to worry me a bit!
It started out as a grind/ clatter sound (it's hard to describe sounds), then got worse and worse, and was particularly evident when reaching about 2500- 3000 rpm under load in 4th to 6th, like, under load acceleration on the freeway where it was a load vibration/ grinding noise. It was definetly the flywheel, as all good now replaced. I got the car second hand so i have no idea how it was driven previously.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
228km/h that was flat in 5th and just about on the rev limiter but you need some big ones coming out of the last corner Pillip Island is so just right for a Cayman at the time i was running Toyo 888 did 247km 2 tanks of fuel, but the best day ever, Porsche Cars AU
Open track day, i am sure it will be the best thing you have ever done in a Cayman! Sorry about your flywheel, you will soon forget it once at the island
Yes I am looking forward to it, will post some photos and info after the day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yep......mine did the exact same thing the other night....scared the heck out of me! I'm in contact with the local Porsche Dealership. Nothing wrong with the feel of my clutch. I've noticed the "banging" sound while idling.....didn't know if that was normal....obviously it isn't.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep......mine did the exact same thing the other night....scared the heck out of me! I'm in contact with the local Porsche Dealership. Nothing wrong with the feel of my clutch. I've noticed the "banging" sound while idling.....didn't know if that was normal....obviously it isn't.
As i said, had my flywheel repleced, all good now. Apparantly it is a common problem with the dual mass flywheel. My sound though was definetly more of a grinding noise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
well....got my Sally back from the Porsche Dealership. The techs had it for two days (test drove with tech and service advisor) and they could not duplicate the problem. They checked the manual trans oil and did not find any contamination. They also visually inspected everything. It is documented, so if it craps out after my warranty expires in June, then hopefully they'll be able to repair the problem under their "good will" program. I just wish it would have done it while they had it........hopefully, she'll hold up and not ever leave me stranded. I did have them fix the hatch rattle, address the humming speaker, and the discolored weather stripping. Tech said the car is really clean. Salesman called me wanting to buy the car........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts