Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm the proud new owner of a 981 Aqua Blue Cayman S PDK. I used to drive a 987 Cayman S before this and was wondering if anyone knew the difference in ground clearance between the 2.

With the 987 I had zero issues at all with almost all carparks & humps. The car was on stock suspension.

Fast forward to the 981 and upon visual inspection the car looks to be slightly lower than the 987. It seems to have a worse ground clearance and I was wondering if anyone knew the actual numbers?
I will definitely get a chance to try out all the carparks & humps in the near future, but I would rather know before taking the risk of scratching up my front lip & if so avoid if necessary

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm the proud new owner of a 981 Aqua Blue Cayman S PDK. I used to drive a 987 Cayman S before this and was wondering if anyone knew the difference in ground clearance between the 2.

With the 987 I had zero issues at all with almost all carparks & humps. The car was on stock suspension.

Fast forward to the 981 and upon visual inspection the car looks to be slightly lower than the 987. It seems to have a worse ground clearance and I was wondering if anyone knew the actual numbers?
I will definitely get a chance to try out all the carparks & humps in the near future, but I would rather know before taking the risk of scratching up my front lip & if so avoid if necessary
That will depend on which suspension your 981 is equipped with and which one was in the other car. There is a standard suspension, PASM or SPASM and the X-73 Sport suspension. There is no one size fits all 981 height, so you may very well have a lower version suspension option on your 981 vs. a standard height suspension on your previous car that you are noticing. The lowest option suspensions can be 20 mm lower than the standard versions

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry, I cannot speak to the 987 model ride height. On the 981S models however you have three car ride heights: standard sits the highest, PASM rides 10mm lower than standard, and X73 (sport suspension) sits 20mm lower than stock. PDK has no effect on ride height. You don't mention which suspension is on your 981, but I imagine the standard suspension would be very similar for both models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I cannot speak to the 987 model ride height. On the 981S models however you have three car ride heights: standard sits the highest, PASM rides 10mm lower than standard, and X73 (sport suspension) sits 20mm lower than stock. PDK has no effect on ride height. You don't mention which suspension is on your 981, but I imagine the standard suspension would be very similar for both models.
Sorry I forgot to mention, both cars have the standard suspension!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hi everyone!

Based on my recollection of posts I have read on this forum, the ground clearance for a 987 is 3.9" and 4.0" for a 981 with stock suspensions. So if you didn't have a problem with your 987, you'll have no problem with the 981.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on my recollection of posts I have read on this forum, the ground clearance for a 987 is 3.9" and 4.0" for a 981 with stock suspensions. So if you didn't have a problem with your 987, you'll have no problem with the 981.

Great to know! Thanks a lot for the reply

·
Registered
87 Posts
But don't you need to consider overhang?

If the 981's front overhang is longer than the 987's, the .1" of increased height may not make a difference, and the 981 could still have issues with speed bumps and driveways that the 987 didn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.