Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just wanted to find out if anyone knows how many inches or mm of ground clearance there is for a Cayman S (without PASM or Sport Suspension). I know those option lower it by 10mm and 20 mm respectively, but I've not seen anything that stated what the actual ground clearance is?

Thanks,
Dino

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I just wanted to find out if anyone knows how many inches or mm of ground clearance there is for a Cayman S (without PASM or Sport Suspension). I know those option lower it by 10mm and 20 mm respectively
Excellent question man. I'm also interested in that, especially at the front (bottom of bumper to ground). I'm also curious on the front overhang, which makes a big difference how easy the front drags on inclines. I doubt it can get any lower than the Vette GS, which clears my garage's 4" 'step' by millimeters (the other spoiler in front of the tires actually hits, since it's only 3" high). Hope it's not too bad because I really want the sport suspension. And no, I haven't hit the Vette's chin spoiler; it's still pristine. Thank you folks.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The Boxster manual states 101 mm (4") for stock suspension. Should be the same for Cayman.

The lowest point is immediately in front of the front wheels.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Boxster manual states 101 mm (4") for stock suspension. Should be the same for Cayman.

The lowest point is immediately in front of the front wheels.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I believe the old 987 manual indicated those were 3.9 inches (I forget the mms) and then with PASM it was 10mm lower. On occasion the black plastic behind the front wheel would rub when negotiating steeper inclines, so I wanted to learn about the 981's clearance.

Thanks,
Dino

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this was a thread i created a while back, and the forum members helped me gather some info regarding different suspension setups. I hope thats what ur looking for

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-configurations-ordering/85368-981-cayman-s-sport-suspension-too-low-dd.html
Thanks for the link. The info you had was also very helpful, as most people talk about the SS or PASM lowering the car, but it really only has meaning in terms of deciding if its reasonable for my local roads & driveway if I know what the grounds clearance measurements are. So thanks again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
this is a quote by Andy, who has a sport suspension and posted on my thread.

The difference between normal suspension and sport suspension is 20 mm, so just add that on top of the below numbers.

If there is anything more please let us know

In front of the front wheel: 2.5"
Behind front wheel: 4.5"
In front of rear wheel: 3.75"
Behind rear wheel: 6"
Mid car: 4"-4.5"

The height in front of the wheel is to the bottom of the air dam that is about .5" below the bodywork.

It's no SUV, but if your sensible then it's not a problem

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good thread, useful info.

The main "reason" I sold my GT3 and ordered a CS, was that of usability.

The front lip was barely more than 70mm off the ground, making it near impossible to go into Multi-storey car parks, onto my Daughters drive, over any form of speed hump or mount a curb (kerb?) without horrible, expensive sounding grinding noises!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
that why i made and sell the scrape bar.
What's the purpose of it? You're only reducing clearance, since the bottom of the car is flat. And if you already messed up the front chin spoiler, why would you want to hit an even lower metal bar? Am I missing something?

Anyway, need to do more research about the 2.5" clearance in front of the front wheels. That's with sport suspension, right? Seems awfully low, but if it's IMMEDIATELY ahead of the wheels, it shouldn't hit regular speed bumps. Hey, can somebody post the clearance from the bottom of the chin spoiler to the floor? Just measured the clearances on the Vette, which looks on the floor, and it has 3" from the spoiler in front of the tires, and 5-1/2" from the bottom of the chin spoiler to the ground. I've managed to still have my front chin spoiler still pristine, but the one in front of the tires hits everywhere. Even in dips when don't have time to switch the magnetic shocks to 'sport'. And I'm not talking about huge dips; normal ones that don't even feel that bad. The good news is that spoiler is practically invisible, and it's flexible, so no biggie. How about the one on the CS? I plan to order mine with sport suspension, but need to make sure I wouldn't leave the thing at the first dip or speed bump. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts