Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the GT2 seats I purchased from Suncoast in my 2008 Cayman S which had the non-sport electric seats in it originally, and now my Passenger Airbag Deactivated light will not go off and after reading some of the other posts on the forum I called my local dealer to see about having them de-activate the Weight Sensor as many have suggested. They informed me I would have to purchase a deactivation device from them and have them install it along with the reprogramming of the ECU. They want $611 total to do it for me! OUCH!!!

Would any of you have any information on this so called de-activation device by chance? I can not seem to find it mentioned in the other posts on Airbag issues.

Thanks so much!
Ed

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Not true, they only need to go into PIWIS and turn off some items in POSIP, you can see this in our articles section in the GT3 seat install that shows the PIWIS settings. I'm not sure whether Durametric will turn these items off or not as well. Some dealers do PIWIS changes for free, others charge you for them.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks K Man!

I have called my local dealer back and explained exactly what they need to do, and they kept going back to this supposed "deactivation device". It took me a while but I finally got them to understand what they actually needed to do, and that it has nothing to do with that device, and then they admitted they had never installed a set of these and was just going off what they were told. I am going to have them give it a go using only the PIWIS, perhaps it is just the learning experience they need to understand this better. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again, really appreciate the help!
Cheers, :cheers:
Ed

PS: Once I get this all straightened out, next up on my mod list will be installing a TPC Racing stage 3+ PASM suspension. I can not wait!

2008 Cayman S sport Red\Black:
Mods -
Quaife diff, front grilles (Alan at Motordrive), Gyrodisc rotors and Pagid Yellow 29's (Craig at Rennstore), short shift, GT2 seats, RSS Harness bar, GT3 harnesses (Ric at Suncoast), BK Sump extension, SS Brake lines (FVD) 18" Champion RG5's (Dave at Wheel Enhancement), shoed with Toyo R888's. Thanks to all the Planet 9 sponsers! :thanks:

·
Registered
362 Posts
GT2 seats have airbags, and should be a direct bolt/plug in to the Cayman without any warning lights. I installed a set and have no problems with airbag warnings. GT3 seats are a different story since they have no air bags.

Maybe check installation and electrical connectors to make sure you got them all fully connected?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi,
I just installed the GT2 seats in my '06 that originally had the sport seats (with airbags). I am having the same issue with the passenger airbag light staying on. I agree that it shouldn't be a problem since both the original sport and GT2 seats have the same airbag and the same connectors.

from what I have read it seems like half of the people that perform this install have the same problem and the other half do not. Not sure why this is happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on what needs to be done to resolve the issue? Going into the DME and changing the settings so that it thinks that there is no airbag doesn't seem like the right approach. Maybe it just needs a DME reset?

I have the Softronic flash so if I have to go to the dealer to get the DME reset, should I flash it back to original first? Seems like a PITA to go that route so any other suggestions would be helpful (maybe turn the car on with the seat unplugged for a bit to see if that helps?). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
. . . Does anyone have any ideas on what needs to be done to resolve the issue? Going into the DME and changing the settings so that it thinks that there is no airbag doesn't seem like the right approach. Maybe it just needs a DME reset?

I have the Softronic flash so if I have to go to the dealer to get the DME reset, should I flash it back to original first? Seems like a PITA to go that route so any other suggestions would be helpful (maybe turn the car on with the seat unplugged for a bit to see if that helps?). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:
The passenger airbag light is related to the passenger seat weight sensor being present (activated) or not. If the GT2 seat has a weight-sensor (it may not) then it might be as simple as clearing the error code with either a PIWIS (dealer) computer, or a Durametric cable. There is a separate small connector for the weight sensor (it is gray IIRC) apart from the large yellow connector for the airbags/power.

If there is no passenger seat weight sensor, then you can disable the weight sensor (AWS) warning by using either PIWIS or a Durametric Professional cable (some individuals and indy shops have).

I don't think you need to worry about your Softronic flash if you take it to the dealer since it has no bearing on these programming functions.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fix for me on this issue was disconnecting the battery, and then reconnecting it. We had everything set right for all the sensors, but it still was not working correctly, this seemed to trigger it into taking the new settings.

Not sure why, but I am not one to question success.

Hope this helps!
Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. The seat does have a weight sensor with the exact grey plug as the old seat so it should just be plug and play.

I tried disconnecting the battery and unplugging the seat, then plugging it back in and reconnecting the battery and the light still came back on. I may put the old seat back in and plug it in just to see if I still get the error (if I don't then it would seem to have something to do with the sensor on the new seat). I may also try disconnecting the battery a couple more times to see if that fixes it. Worst case scenario, I should be able to take it in to have someone access the PIWIS and reset the sensor.

I'll definitely post when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FYI, still not fixed... I plan to install the roll bar in a couple of weeks and will need to take the seats out again so I am going to wait until that installation is complete to take it to the dealer. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same issues here.

I have a set of seats from Suncoast, and one delivered with the R. The Passenger Airbag Off Warning lit is consistently lit with the Suncoast seat.

Dealer ran diagnostic on the seat which passed. Next attempted to calibrate the weight sensor, which caused the computer to crash every time.

If I were a dealer, I'd be a bit hesitant to start messing around with software. I doubt that Porsche has a lot of visibility on the issue, so the dealers probably do not have a clear path to correct the issue. Without knowing how to fix the problem, i wouldn't want to mess with it if I were the dealer, especially since it is a safety system.

Maybe its time to take the problem higher up the chain. Has anyone contacted PCNA to let them know of the issue? We purchased genuine porsche parts with a 2 year warranty, from a Porsche dealership for cars that regularly leave the factory with the same seats.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Anyway to reset the AWS without going to a dealer?
My Durametric cable/software will not change the AWS state at all.
Porsche says 167 dollars to use the PWIS thing-a-ma-jig..

Now to plan a road trip to San Antonio Porsche

·
Registered
39 Posts
Long overdue update - I called Suncoast and they graciously sent me the instructions for how to properly program the new seats following installation and I then went to the dealer and provided these instructions to the technician. The dealer then used the PIWIS to change the setting so that the car would know that the new sport bucket seats did not have heaters and then attempted to calibrate the weight sensors. Unfortunately, the weight sensors would not calibrate properly.

The dealer asked me to verify that the car was not the problem so I had to bring in my old passenger sport seat to the dealer so that THEY could reinstall it and see that the airbag light did in fact go off when the original seat was installed as it should, which it did. Total pain in the *** though to drag my old seat to the dealer just so that they could install it and verify that the car was not the problem (it was the new Suncoast sport bucket seat). So after doing this, they determined that the weight sensor in the new seat was bad and they ordered a new one from Porsche. The new weight sensor was covered under warranty but the dealer still wanted to charge me for the labor to "troubleshoot the issue", which consisted of them putting my old seat back in to verify that the problem was in fact with the new seat (which I had already told them), and then the labor to replace the sensor. After some haggling back and forth they only charged me a couple hundred bucks and replaced the sensor in the new seat and after that, the passenger airbag warning light worked fine.

The one strange thing that remains is that now my dash airbag light flashes 10 times before going off every time I start the car. It used to simply light up and go off after a few seconds (no flashing). I was told by the dealer that this means that it is set so that the passenger dash airbag will not activate in a collision if there is no weight in the passenger seat, which would be a good thing as it would save my dash if I wrecked on the track. I haven't read anything about this so I guess I'll have to take their word for it... Does anyone else have a dash airbag light that flashes 10 times before it goes off when they start the car? I have friends with the same seats and they do not have the flashing dash light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts