Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads on others who have added roll bar, six point harnesses, HANS, and sport seats. Having done a few track events, these items offer some "piece of mind" to me. I'm going to purchase a heigo bar, 6pt schroth harnesses, and HANS for sure. The question I'm left with is what seats I should get, gt2 or gt3. None of the threads I've read really discuss pros and cons. From my research, gt2 seats seem like the right solution for my situation...

Gt2 Advantages/Disadvantages:
+ supports 6pt harnesses
+ light weight
+ retain airbag for street use
+ (in my mind) better looking/better finish
+ can use for street and track (no desire to swap for track days)
- since it folds, not as rigid/not as safe as gt3 seat*
- more expensive

Gt3 Advantages/Disadvantages:
+ supports 6pt harnesses
+ light weight
+ No hinge, more rigid/more safe than gt2 seat*
+ less expensive than Gt2 seats
- I would want to swap seats for street driving
- no airbag for street use so less safe with seatbelts

What do others think? Help me spend my money wisely. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Just a note, the GT3 seats you're talking about are probably the 996 GT3 seats which are reasonable in price. The 997 GT3 seats with the fixed back are easily $14,000 a set, similar to the Carrera GT seats. These are the Clubsport package seats that the rest of the world gets, along with an OEM rollbar.

I haven't seen too many of those in the U.S. yet...

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
If the car will be driven on the street and not a dedicated track car, I would stick with the newer GT2 seats with the side airbags.

This is assuming that you are comfortable sitting in them of course. :)

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,661 Posts
Bort are way too much$$. If you are going to track your car get some one piece track seats that fit you and have the harness shoulder strap holes in the right location. One size definately doesn't fit all. put your stock seats back in for the off season.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you are going to track your car get some one piece track seats that fit you and have the harness shoulder strap holes in the right location.
You should be able to get something like a set of HANS compatible Sparco Circuit seats for around $1700. You'll also need rails and sliders. While you're at it check out the Safety Solutions head and neck restraints.

I've driven both the GT2 and GT3 seats on the street. The GT2seat, in my opinion, is the more comfortable seat for the street.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased the 996 GT3 seats with the intention of swapping them back during the off season. I haven't found the need and this is the 3rd season with the seats! I find the nearly as comfortable and infinitely better on the track.

You won't be disappointed with these seats and you will save a bunch of $ v the other seats.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the GT3 seats and am a big fella. Be careful if you get other brands if you require a larger seat. The driver's seat sits off center towards the console (?). A good freiend, also size challenged, is currently installing Sparco seats and has had to modify the seat as it is too snug against the console. Can't go wrong with the GT3. Unfortunately expensive but bolt right in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.