Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm writting from italy and I own a Boxster S MY 2009.

I'd like more front camber that the stock setup offers (I'm -0,8° right now, moving the struts inward), I've heard you can use the 996/997 GT3 strut mounts (the stuff between shock and chassis) to get another 0,5°-1° of negative camber.

First, I'm wondering if it's possible and then if you have already done that and if it's an effective modification.

Or maybe you could rotate the strut mounts to get more camber and more caster?

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english. :)

PS: this is my car:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
The top mounts are Camber Plates. I have GT3 Lower Control arms and I have -2.5 deg up front. It really helps the tire wear on the track. I went from -1.2 with PSS9s, I don't think the handling improved by a noticable amount.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys.

I thought than the GT3 had a different strut top mount, maybe stiffer and with a little gain in camber/caster over a stock 987/997???????

My car with front max camber and 0 front toe still understeers during the corners.

I haven't check the rear alignment (toe specially) yet.

Pressure, I set to 2.3 bar front and 2.4 bar rear.

Those Michelins have a very soft sidewall.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
You can spend days reading about understter and oversteer. I have both front lower control arms and adjustable front and rear sway(antiroll) bars

To adjust the balance of the cars the best way is with adjustable sway bars with adjustable drop links front and rear. The car comes from the factory adjusted to understeer. Understeering is the accepted design point for general public use, and lawyers.;)

Camber will have an effect in understeer and oversteer, but camber adjustments are best to even out wear and increase tire contact patch in turns.

With all that said go out and get a good 4 wheel alignment with the maximum negative camber up front(about -0.8 to -1.0 stock). Go out driving. If you start rolling your tires over with 40 psi(2.72) hot tire pressure, it is time to look for more negative camber.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Maybe the Pilot Sport PS2 works bad with temperature of 4-6° (chelsius).

After a couple of miles driving hard, I had 2.65 bar front and 2.8 rear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have if you want two new camber plates for front, they will increase 1+degree camber front, you will be able to go to 3 degrees.

I did not use them as I baught a suspencion which already had adjustable top mounts.

They are tarrett engineering, excellent qualkity in their bags and I live in Greece, so we are near. PM me if you wish

·
Caymudgeon
705 Posts
To get -1.8 to -2 degrees in the rear, are the rear GT3 LCA's required?
You can get to -2 in the rear without adding GT3 LCAs. You really only need them in front. I'm set at -2.5 front and -2.0 rear and find it to be fine on street and great on track.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about rear toe?
I'd like to be closest to 0 but I'm worried about the possibility for the external rear wheel during hard cornering to become "negative toed", is that possible with a special Porsche MacPherson at rear axle?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can get to -2 in the rear without adding GT3 LCAs. You really only need them in front. I'm set at -2.5 front and -2.0 rear and find it to be fine on street and great on track.
This is actually what am I going to do, frist I was going for Tarret top mounts but then I decied to go for Gt3Lcas and the same camber as yours. Good to know that you like it on track I will definitly do the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about rear toe?

Another question, I have standard suspension (non PASM), will the tarett camber plates raise or lower front axle?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I run the GT3 LCA with about -2 degrees camber in the front. I probably will run a little more negative next season. I'm maxed at -2 in the rear on one side. Regarding toe, I run 0 in the front and 1/32" in the rear measured at the rim. This is about .1 degree.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thank you.

In italy and europe we use millimeters instead of inches, so 1/32 of inch is 0.8mm.

You mean rear total toe in, or per wheel?

Does this configuration may give you snap oversteer during hard cornerings or just gives you a very agile car? :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks.

Maybe the Pilot Sport PS2 works bad with temperature of 4-6° (chelsius).

After a couple of miles driving hard, I had 2.65 bar front and 2.8 rear.
PS2s are useless at that temperature, especially in wet. Anything under 10° C and they just loose traction. Swap to winter tires, and see how much better it gets.

I think your question still has not been answered, do the GT3 upper mounts provide any more camber? It would be an interesting option for someone looking for just a tad more at minimal cost. I think we should compare part numbers to start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe they give you 0.5 camber, 0.3 caster and they are stiffer than a normal 987/997 top mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts