Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not a big fun of a stock brake pedal feel.
i think it robs some time at auto-x/track.

i thought to go for the GT3 master brake cylinder - but suddenly saw "ice pedal" mentioned in relation to it.

currently i've yet to experience this on my Boxster - and i'me very happy about this.
with my previous car i had this quite a few times and it robed my brakes' confidence for the 100% of the time :crazy:

so - what's chances to ruin my brake confidence with master cylinder "upgrade" ?

the setup is: PSS tires (will move to PSC2), stock rotors, DS2500 pads, braided lines, rbf600.

·
Registered
432 Posts

i thought to go for the GT3 master brake cylinder - but suddenly saw "ice pedal" mentioned in relation to it.

currently i've yet to experience this on my Boxster - and i'me very happy about this.
with my previous car i had this quite a few times and it robed my brakes' confidence for the 100% of the time :crazy:

so - what's chances to ruin my brake confidence with master cylinder "upgrade" ?

the setup is: PSS tires (will move to PSC2), stock rotors, DS2500 pads, braided lines, rbf600.
I took interest in your post as I recently installed the 997 GT3 MC in my CS. I googled around about the Ice Pedal description. Let me say up front I've not been tracking my Cayman though as we've chatted before I've raced a lot in Shifter Karts. So I'm kind of sharing my thoughts but I'm not really knowledgable about this specific issue.

I read more speculation that a too small of a MC was a possible cause than a larger one. Some folks were saying it was a loss of Vacuum due to the stock MC moving more fluid than intended when paired with larger calipers.

To me what it sounds like from the descriptions is a locked up tire. When tires lock up all the vibrations of the pads against the rotors stop and the pedal feels 'numb' and there's zero pedal modulation at that point (especially with steel braided brake lines).

So when some others suggested it was an ABS failure that resonated with me, though as I said, I haven't experienced this in a Cayman.

I can say for me, the GT3 Master Cylinder has firmed up the pedal and I was able to engage ABS and its been a nice upgrade, but I realize you're asking for considerably harder driving feedback than that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Typically you want the booster matched to the master cylinder. Waiting for everyone to get GT3 boosters now.

Does sound more like a running out of vacuum from booster supply.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts

Your car is a 987.2 as such it does not suffer from the ABS module getting confused, one of the many reasons folks moved from the 987.1 to 987.2 for cars that see the track frequently.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I tracked my previous '06 CS with a GT3 MC for years in advanced/instructor groups without any issues and just enjoyed a firmer, shorter, confidence inspiring pedal. About the best mod I did to that car.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I have experienced Ice Pedal in my old 2001 Audi (At T 5 Road Atlanta coming out of the esses) two or three times but never a hint of it in the 987.2 Cayman. Yes the pedal is soft compared to my Audi which has Boxster Brembo conversion front brakes. Several months ago I found this video seminar by PFC brakes competition director Darrick Dong. It is long but there is a good discussion of ice pedal and why it happens.

https://vimeo.com/88285081

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your car is a 987.2 as such it does not suffer from the ABS module getting confused, one of the many reasons folks moved from the 987.1 to 987.2 for cars that see the track frequently.
thx a lot for this info - i didn't know this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts