Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to GT3 owners, how do you feel about the butt you carry behind you?

I remember my 987 was an absolute go-kart by all means. Railed to the ground but felt light at the same time. The 997.1 GT3 RS I test drove few years back, had MT, no 4WD or 4WS, was glued to the ground but I could feel the rear engine at the back and could feel the weight despite being an RS. I feel my turbo reminds me more of the RS than my 987. So I guess it's the location of the engine, not the weight after all.

Not to confuse our members, let me put it this way. The 991 turbo is a GT cruiser all the time as I drive it like a sedan. The torque is there all the time. The gear upshifts before 2000 revs, jumping gears till 7th gear. But once I drive in Sport/+ mode I could feel the engine is at the back. And I get the sense the car is heavy. Agile like a rabbit, nailed down to the road, fast like a bullet but still the weight is there. I understand the weight is from the 4WD, 4WS and PDK. But the GT3 RS was far lighter and had none of them, yet felt the same. Therefore I'm questioning GT3 owners. How do you feel about the rear you carry behind you?

If you feel the same, then both of our cars are very much alike. The only difference would be the NA/turbo engine and the exterior shape.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I understand we only have a handful of GT3 owners here but I was hoping both GT3 and turbo owners (even 991 GTS and 4S) would chime in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
How do you feel about the rear you carry behind you?

For me in the GT3 if I just go out and get in and drive on the street I don't really notice it. Porsche has done so much engineering and development of the rear engine platform the rear bias is not that noticeable. If I drive the Cayman R and the GT3 close together, then I really notice the distance from the driver seat to the engine. In the Cayman the engine is right behind, in the GT3 it seems a mile away. The GT3 seems huge in comparison even though they are not that much different. Just the added space behind the driver seat makes it feel big.

On the track the GT3 is much much faster and that's the overriding difference in feeling. Coming out of corners the GT3 puts the greater power down so much harder. Also the grip level is much higher. But as good as the steering is in the GT3 I think the Cayman R is better. Hard to describe, but it just feels more sensitive. I know I'm getting away a little from the question- point is I don't find the weight bias to be that noticeable and I'm conscious of other differences more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts