Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that we should keep track of the changes between the first year GT4 models and the next year models

1) Backup camera - Aren't these federally mandated in the US starting in 2017?
2) PDK - Porsche is already strongly hinted that you'll see the PDK come to the GT4 in the future

What else do you think might be different between the 1st and 2nd year GT4's? Enter your educated guesses below!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Actually, since final implementation is 5/1/18, it can be a MY19 model, just as the Macans sold early in 2014 were 2015 models.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
An additional 15 HP to reach the magical 400HP mark if marketing will allow it? I haven't kept track but won't the new turbo engines in the 991.2 cars put even the base Carrera over 400?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I'm not sure if my input would count as an "educated guess". However, I think the next year GT4 will have more street comfy options. The track guys are going to jump on the first year. The second year is going to get the DD guys. Maybe a front axle lift system like the GT3?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if PDK becomes available in year 2 if future resale demand will be similar to current market for 997 Spyders: cars with manual transmissions and LWB seats sell quickly while those lacking either seem to be a harder sell even at lower asking prices even though 2011 PDK Spyders were " quicker".
IMO , in the used market, quicker when new doesnt mean as much 4-5 years later when newer less intense models may be faster anyway

·
Registered
41 Posts
Assuming that 1) there is a second year of production, and 2) it includes the same naturally aspirated engine, then my guesses for changes would be the following:

- Front-axle lift system
- PDK
- LED headlight option
- Color Porsche crest center caps
- Backup camera and/or front/rear parking sensors
- Additional/different paint options
- 981 dark taillights (standard on GTS) option

·
Registered
7 Posts
Assuming that 1) there is a second year of production, and 2) it includes the same naturally aspirated engine, then my guesses for changes would be the following:

- Front-axle lift system
- PDK
- LED headlight option
- Color Porsche crest center caps
- Backup camera and/or front/rear parking sensors
- Additional/different paint options
- 981 dark taillights (standard on GTS) option
you have been able to order the 4th, 7th and possibly the 3rd item at any dealer parts counter or many on line sellers for any 981 version

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Given this chart someone put up elsewhere regarding the car's intention, should there be a MY17 car I see no new options coming that are not consistent with this chart. The strategic intent has been clearly identified. No luxury stuff. Only stuff in line with the intentions of the vehicle.

I do not think there was price increase between the MY14 and MY15 GT3 or if there was, it was nominal. Considering this is a halo car and they are bound to lose money on it, there is no point in increasing the price. It's not like they are going to generate any profit. I doubt there will be any significant price increase, if anything, a token. One of its purposes is to generate interest in the model lineup and increase sales of the other cars where the money is made.

Oh, and the early MY16 adopters will think they got screwed when the MY17 GT4RS comes out instead of a second year for this vehicle ;) Don't forget the facelift plays a role here and its not clear how that plays out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless Porsche is planning on bringing LEDs for hte 981 platform in general, do not think we will see it for the GT4.

Also, a point of clarification: aren't the GT4 taillights already smoked black slightly (as opposed to pure red as the standard units)? Thought I read that somewhere. Obviously they aren't semi-clear like on the GTS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless Porsche is planning on bringing LEDs for hte 981 platform in general, do not think we will see it for the GT4.

Also, a point of clarification: aren't the GT4 taillights already smoked black slightly (as opposed to pure red as the standard units)? Thought I read that somewhere. Obviously they aren't semi-clear like on the GTS.
Yeah, there are three 981 taillights. The standard all-red ones on the 981 and 981S; the standard red outline with a darker center on the 981GTS (optional on the 981 and 981S); and the all dark-red ones on the GT4 (darker than the standard tails, but not as dark as the center portion of the GTS tails).

Personally, I prefer the look of the GTS taillights, but they're easy to retrofit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought it's only going to be one year? Is this official? If so we all should be able to get a car if we are on the list.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
It occurred to me that we should keep track of the changes between the first year GT4 models and the next year models

1) Backup camera - Aren't these federally mandated in the US starting in 2017?
2) PDK - Porsche is already strongly hinted that you'll see the PDK come to the GT4 in the future

What else do you think might be different between the 1st and 2nd year GT4's? Enter your educated guesses below!
The reason these two go together is that with PDK, Porsche can give you 7 reverse gears instead of just one, since they don't need extra positions in the shift pattern.

Too bad the 986 didn't have PDK--could have used this feature.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I doubt that there will be any big new options offered until the facelifted cars are on the market.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Consider all the expense to develop the GT4. It is certainly more than a parts bin special with the completely new rear suspension and the adapting the 3.8 to mid-engine configuration. It does not seem reasonable that Porsche would offer it for only one year and be able to recoup the development cost, especially at the price point of the GT4. Porsche is not known for generosity to the customers.

williamr

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Consider all the expense to develop the GT4. It is certainly more than a parts bin special with the completely new rear suspension and the adapting the 3.8 to mid-engine configuration. It does not seem reasonable that Porsche would offer it for only one year and be able to recoup the development cost, especially at the price point of the GT4. Porsche is not known for generosity to the customers.
I have no idea if it will be a two year run of the same car (i.e., exact same car produced for two years) or an updated version offered next year, or none at all. No clue. I have been told that there is no "official" word. Maybe they are deciding.

But as to your point about recouping R&D costs, it is reasonable if you believe the car is meant to increase "buzz", create foot traffic into dealers, boost sales of not only the Cayman model but all Porsche cars, etc., not to expect a different MY17 model considering its the facelift year.

I do not believe they make a penny on this car (nor the GT3). The cars are meant for racing and to increase sales (i.e., a halo car). If all the car does is generate enthusiasm, create a buzz, drawn in NEW customers and get old ones to buy another car, get people to walk in and buy that base Boxster as a more practical alternative, then it will have done its job. The indirect sales can easily surpass the direct profit from the vehicle. In other words, I do not believe its about the per unit profit for this car, likely because its very little, none, or negative. But if they wait and see, then if indirect sales do not increase, then that weaken the point of selling it (other than for racing in GT4). Why sell cars at a loss? OTH, if their profit is the normal $23K per car, then no company could be foolish enough to not crank out as many as possible. They should be building factories and building them as fast as possible.

The truth will come out in the number of vehicle actually sold. This is why I believe they said wait and see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts