Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, these seats look so cool but can I fit in them and are they comfortable?

I want to order them on a GT4 but am afraid that I may not fit in them or that they will be terribly uncomfortable. I'm 6'3", medium build at 240#s.

As luck would have it I see a brand new GT3 come to an event I was at this weekend outfitted with the carbon fiber Bucket seats. So, I take advantage of the opportunity to ask if I can sit in them and test them out. No problem he says! I assume they are the same size seats at the GT4

I'm here to report they fit great! Barely, but perfectly well. I can't see sitting in them with a wallet, or cell phone, or keys in your pockets. But, the seat side walls are comfortably snug and the cushioning is really nice. The upright positioning is not adjustable but happened to be perfect suited for me.

My advise; Get 'Em! If you are my size or smaller.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tried some out today at my dealer. I fit just fine (5'9", 160 lbs and 32" waist) and they're snug. As expected, they're difficult to egress from (getting in isn't too bad) but I can live with that. My biggest complain is the lack of lumbar support - they just won't be comfortable for me on a long trip. Consequently, I'm going to go with the 18-ways. Disappointed, as I really wanted to like these.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I tried some out today at my dealer. I fit just fine (5'9", 160 lbs and 32" waist) and they're snug. As expected, they're difficult to egress from (getting in isn't too bad) but I can live with that. My biggest complain is the lack of lumbar support - they just won't be comfortable for me on a long trip. Consequently, I'm going to go with the 18-ways. Disappointed, as I really wanted to like these.
One option to consider:

It probably would not be that hard to get an upholstery shop to make you a set of lumbar pads that would attach via a lightweight velcro to the Alcantara seat inserts. Recaro used to sell those for their bucket seats.

·
Registered
177 Posts
One option to consider:

It probably would not be that hard to get an upholstery shop to make you a set of lumbar pads that would attach via a lightweight velcro to the Alcantara seat inserts. Recaro used to sell those for their bucket seats.
Food for thought. I have some time before my order locks. Thanks 2slow.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You could Oder them try them out.. If you do not like them I bet there is a list a mile long of people wanting them for there 981. Make a trade for their seats and get some cash or sell them and buy some. !:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Well, I'm going to be contrary. I got a ride around the track a couple of weeks ago in a '15 GT3 that had the LWB seats. Not only do the seats have insufficient lumbar support, but the head rest pushes the helmeted head much too far forward. After 10 minutes on the track, I realized there was no way I could stand to own seats like this. The headrest is okay without a helmet, but my head was right up against the headrest when I was sitting in the seat. And, in case you're wondering if it's just me and my freaky-huge helmet, the car's owner actually commented on it before I even got in the car. So, I'm not the only one who wasn't happy about the headrests.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have found no problem with a helmet, 18 way seats and the Track. In fact most of the time, I don't even snug the bolsters and I have no problem staying in position.
I have sat in Porsche buckets, you have to twist getting in and out, the 18 way may not have cachet of the Sport Bucket, but it certainly does the job for comfort on the road and stability and comfort on the track.-Richard

·
Registered
228 Posts
My order includes the 18 ways. I had a bad pinched nerve in the past. The lack of lumbar support would be a potential problem I do not want to risk. I have a portable lumbar support, but they are clumsy and not as effective as a well built seat.

I have found no problem with a helmet, 18 way seats and the Track. In fact most of the time, I don't even snug the bolsters and I have no problem staying in position.
I have sat in Porsche buckets, you have to twist getting in and out, the 18 way may not have cachet of the Sport Bucket, but it certainly does the job for comfort on the road and stability and comfort on the track.-Richard

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Race Bucket seats are what one would want for the track; and the GT-4 is a car for the track. Case closed,almost. There is concern if you are very tall, or too wide for the bucket seats.
Matttheboatman has helped in that area. Items like a phone,keys and wallet, are best kept in the side pocket for any long trip or track event. Guys over 6'3" may have an issue. I'm 6' 1" at 230. It does appear that the GT-4 seat has some kind of lever for adjustment, so we will just have to wait and see for a closer look. I plan to go to The NY car show this week, which will have the new Spyder. Hopefully it will have bucket seats to try out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a 996 GT3 with the sport seats which I replaced after a few years with fixed back buckets. These were the seats offered on the 6.2 GT3 in the rest of the world, and are not that different from the current offering. Those weren't height adjustable, though. The new ones are.

There are definitely trade offs. The seats were comfortable on many long trips to Watkins Glen and VIR. But not as comfortable as the original seats of course.

But the original seats didn't offer the same feel as the buckets. With the buckets you had a much more pronounced feel in your rear end of what was happening to the tires. It's not that I can't feel that with normal Porsche seats, but it is in HD with the buckets since there is less going on between you and the floor. Also, with harnesses and seats like this I tend to relax my legs enough that I can feel everything better.

Knowing the before and after of that feeling, and knowing these are lighter, and knowing that the only long trips I will take in this car are to and from east coast tracks, I decided to get the LWBS.

Proper fitted race seats would be even better, of course, but this isn't a cup car. I still want it to look good.

If I intended to use this car as a DD, I would get the 18-way seats.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys over 6'3" may have an issue. I'm 6' 1" at 230. It does appear that the GT-4 seat has some kind of lever for adjustment, so we will just have to wait and see for a closer look.
I'm 6' 45" at 210. how do you think I will have problems with Full Bucket Seats ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
And, in case you're wondering if it's just me and my freaky-huge helmet, the car's owner actually commented on it before I even got in the car. So, I'm not the only one who wasn't happy about the headrests.
The fact that the owner mentioned it before you got in the car probably had a placebo effect on you :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm 6' 45" at 210. how do you think I will have problems with Full Bucket Seats ?
Well I didn't go to the NY auto show, since the Gt-4 was not there and I was told that the Spyder was not available to sit in. 543bp if you are $210 and tall you most likelywill be able to fit in the seats. However the issue would be your head room when wearing a race helmet and your leg room.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Got to sit in the LWBS in a GT4 on Saturday at the Porsche World Roadshow. I'm 5-foot-8ish and barely under a buck-sixty. Ingress? Fine. Comfort? Fine. Position? Fine. Egress? Less than elegant, but I'll live.

I had brought a guest who was more around 6-foot-1 and in very good shape, who hadn't been in anything sporty since an E36 3-series he owned when he got out of college 15+ years ago (hot laps in Porsches all morning made his day). He made getting out look simple. If you're average height (5-foot-11) or taller, I'm feeling no one will have any issues with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Goofnik. So great to hear that the gt4 is showing up on the Porsche world roadshow. Originally my father in law (who owns a Honda Fit and Honda Civic only) received an invite for the Greater Boston show. I was able to exchange a ticket for one closer to New Jersey for Aug 2nd, but didn't expect there to be a gt4 given scarcity.

PS love your GTS Goofnik, was highly interested in your car after seeing it on multiple jalopnik comment threads and being a boston native. But hopefully I get a gt4!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I end up with the Sport Seats, in part because that was my only option at the time. My allocation came about due to the LWB delay, which caused an allocation to open. Which ultimately resulted in my car getting completed earlier, which resulted in the ability to take European Delivery this summer (end of August). Do I wish I could have LWBs? I am happy to just get the car. No complaints. And, The Sport Seats plus are Porsche's best seats ever, other then the LWBs, and are part of the incredible value proposition of a sparsely equipped GT4.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts