Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all of the talk about the GT4, the natural gravity of magazine articles (and P9 discussion in general) is heavily weighted towards the Cayman. What about the sibling 981 Spyder? Is there any news if this will actually exist or will there only be GT4 Cayman? I know somebody will say that it is a track based car and thus a Cayman, but enthusiasts would want a Spyder version anyway.

Anybody have any info?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
GT3 cabrio FTL

Reactions: pmonkey

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not going to happen for a few reasons. I am actually breathing a sigh of relief because I would have taken a huge depreciation hit and got it. My SA and I have become close "acquaintances". Nearly 2 years after sealing the deal, we are LinkedIn buddies and I get invited to all the cool Porsche events. I know for a fact that he was briefed on the GT4 but he declined to provide details because of what happened with the Atlanta dealership that leaked the 981 GTS details. He had to sign legal "secrecy" paper work that signed his life (or at least career) away. He said no way to a GT4 Spyder. :(

Frankly, that makes sense for Porsche anyway. There is not a GT3 cabriolet. The hard top is more rigid and a GT4/GT3 is meant as a track car.

We wont see it.

For a few hundred more sales, it is not worth it for Porsche to build it.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! Which is why people like us are seeking comfort in the fact that at least all of your Boxster fans will be BGB fans hopefully once the warranty expires...OR SOONER! Email me directly and I will explain to you why your Boxster GTS will be the most potent mid-engine roadster for several years to come.

1.) there is not a potential Boxster race car that would require a road car for homologation.
2.) I can't tell you #2, you have to email me!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
A 981 Spyder following the 987 Spyder would have nothing to do with the GT4 cabriolet. A sexy looking 981 Boxster Spyder maybe a challenge to design since the 981 Boxster is very sexy already. But I'm sure doable if Porsche wants it.

Why did you guys consider the Spyder to be a convertible GT4?

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
A 981 Spyder following the 987 Spyder would have nothing to do with the GT4 cabriolet. A sexy looking 981 Boxster Spyder maybe a challenge to design since the 981 Boxster is very sexy already. But I'm sure doable if Porsche wants it.

Good point. That was just an assumption on my part and perhaps a bad one. Maybe they wont call it a GT4 but call it a Spyder with the same engine hopefully!

Reactions: Steff BGTS

·
Registered
966 Posts

Because for the 987, the Spyder was the convertible equivalent of the Cayman R. So for the 981, people are hoping for a convertible version of whatever the hotter Cayman will be called. For lack of better info, we’re calling the convertible the “Spyder” and the hardtop the “GT4.”

:cheers:

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I was thinking in terms of the Cayman R and Spyder from a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I honestly don't understand the spyder's appeal. Yes it saves weight, if that is the case, get a hardtop. I'm not paying 80K plus for a car that I have to manual remove and add the fabric top.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I honestly don't understand the spyder's appeal. Yes it saves weight, if that is the case, get a hardtop. I'm not paying 80K plus for a car that I have to manual remove and add the fabric top.
I think most of the Spyder’s appeal is aesthetic, not weight savings. From the rear ¾ view, it is gorgeous, especially compared to the somewhat awkward-looking 987 Boxster. The 981, IMHO, needs much less improvement from this angle, but the dual-cowl rear deck would nevertheless look cool: image_zpse31251c9.jpg Photo by asimpledesign | Photobucket

But there are other ways of getting the dual-cowl rear deck that don’t involve the Spyder’s ridiculous top (eg, the F458).

If Porsche had been truly serious about weight savings on this car, they could have found better ways of doing it. Instead, they focused on gimmicks like fabric door pulls and a cowl-less instrument cluster.
:crazy:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 981 Spyder will come, my dealer confirmed that today. But no date, no technical specifications.
I hope it will come with the Cayman GT4 engine.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I would rather save money by getting a carrera s engine and other upgrades in my boxster. Bet it would be faster than a spyder too.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There are a lot of Hofbräuhausen in Stuttgart, and just as in pubs in most other parts of the world, they are occasionally the settings of world-shaking wagers. "I'll bet my tanks can be in Leningrad by October." "I'll bet I can start a lucrative religion." "I'll bet we can charge even more for a Boxster whose top requires several minutes' of labor, factory technical support, and a degree in physics to install."

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would guess that whatever the top, it will be unique German Engineering and Style.
Hope fully the 981 Spyder will have 350hp.
If so, I will purchase a PTS model in, of course, Mexico Blue!-Richard

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have ever seen a Lotus Evora and a Lotus Exige, the Evora is relatively finished inside where the Exige is a big time stripped out version with an interior that more resembles a race car (a lot of bare aluminum comes to mind). And of course the Exige S is faster. It is a stretch of a comparison to the BGTS vs Spyder, but you get my meaning. If the Spyder is more 'raw' and they give it a real top, it will be one heck of a car.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
But there are other ways of getting the dual-cowl rear deck that don’t involve the Spyder’s ridiculous top (eg, the F458).

If Porsche had been truly serious about weight savings on this car, they could have found better ways of doing it. Instead, they focused on gimmicks like fabric door pulls and a cowl-less instrument cluster.
:crazy:
Although the proportions in the picture you included made the 981 look terrible IMO, but I agree if back in the 987 Boxster days Porsche created a Boxster Spyder like the 458's, I don't think anybody in his right mind would buy a 987 Boxster over the Spyder version... unless he buys it for his 'Devious Maid' ;)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with Sportwagen that aesthetically it looks a lot better than the 987 Boxster and the few times I've seen this car I've done a double take because it really does look great from the back and rear 3/4 view. I spent some time researching the car and its a real PITA to remove the top so I agree with your sentiment Ynot. Here is a Youtube of the top removal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8qcnhrkBs

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree with Sportwagen that aesthetically it looks a lot better than the 987 Boxster and the few times I've seen this car I've done a double take because it really does look great from the back and rear 3/4 view. I spent some time researching the car and its a real PITA to remove the top so I agree with your sentiment Ynot. Here is a Youtube of the top removal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8qcnhrkBs
I agree it does look good, I was behind one going home about three weeks ago. A manual top might be fine in California but it does not work here. It could be 68F sunny and within an hour, drop to 41F and raining cats and dogs and change to snow. So basically by the top one is able to get the top on, he'll be drench and frozen. lol. Reminds me of a couple of years ago, when it started to rain hard. I saw a Solstice pulled over to put the manual top up, he was completely drenched, I just drove by with my smarttop, press a button and the top went up, drove right by the guy and smiled. Yes I am bad. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts