Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around with the configurator and am trying to decide whether or not to order dual-zone climate control on the GT4. I know previously (my 2014 981) when you didn't opt for the dual zone you ended up with an old-school fan/red-blue controls without a temperature setting. That said, from the looks of the renderings on the GT4 configurator, I'm seeing temp adjustment akin to the dual-zone just without the two zones:

Capture.JPG

Am I crazy or hase Porsche finally defaulted to a proper temperature climate control system as expected in a $85k car?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well Porsche wants you to think you can customize your car as you see fit, so they generously don't throw in options...thinking you might not want them.

Sarcasm aside, the dual zone auto climate control is indeed an extra option you must pay 750 for.

I'd get it, but again, maybe someone else doesn't care for it so... you have the option.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In a cabin that small, I'm not sure how much a dual climate control option would be worth it?

Now the auto climate control I have on mine is 100% worth it IMHO. Its been set at 72 for the last year and half. Its one of the best a/c's I've ever had here in AZ, but again the tiny cabin probably helps out.

Machog

·
Registered
245 Posts
In a cabin that small, I'm not sure how much a dual climate control option would be worth it?

Now the auto climate control I have on mine is 100% worth it IMHO. Its been set at 72 for the last year and half. Its one of the best a/c's I've ever had here in AZ, but again the tiny cabin probably helps out.

Machog
That's the problem. You can't get single zone automatic climate control on this car. It's either manual control (set the temp of the air flow and the flow rate) or manual sans AC or full dual zone climate control. Those are the choices.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even if i came for free, I wouldnt hasitate to opt it out.

Even in a sedan , I put it in sync. Why would I bother in a lot smaller cabin?

We also have vent shutters. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426397179.804831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
550 Posts
As stated, the system seems to be the same as is available in every other 981. Not sure what you saw on the configurator that made you think different, but here is what I see on the Cayman S and Cayman GT4 with no options selected:

Cayman GT4 AC.jpg Cayman S AC.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
Even if i came for free, I wouldnt hasitate to opt it out.

Even in a sedan , I put it in sync. Why would I bother in a lot smaller cabin?

We also have vent shutters. View attachment 56970

But the point is if you opt out of dual zone climate control you are also opting out of automatic climate control at all. You are then left with manual control which not everyone wants to deal with.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It's been mentioned a few times here, but I'm going to chime in to add my two cents and try to make it clear as day.

ORDER THIS OPTION.

Some people may appreciate the "dual zone" part of this, but that's completely irrelevant to this conversation. You can set it to lock the sides together and just control it as one. The key aspect here is that this gives you automatic climate controls, and YOU WANT THAT.

This is one of the most mis-leading and poorly worded options available. It should be called Automatic Climate Controls and then have a little footnote about also including a dual-zone feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been mentioned a few times here, but I'm going to chime in to add my two cents and try to make it clear as day.

ORDER THIS OPTION.

Some people may appreciate the "dual zone" part of this, but that's completely irrelevant to this conversation. You can set it to lock the sides together and just control it as one. The key aspect here is that this gives you automatic climate controls, and YOU WANT THAT.

This is one of the most mis-leading and poorly worded options available. It should be called Automatic Climate Controls and then have a little footnote about also including a dual-zone feature.

That's what I'm getting at here-- from the renderings (see post from Blinsc above) it appears if you don't choose the dual-zone option you still have a temp and fan speed controls. It looks like you still have automatic climate control, no? Or is that "temp" switch just a hot/cold adjuster?

·
Banned
550 Posts
That's what I'm getting at here-- from the renderings (see post from Blinsc above) it appears if you don't choose the dual-zone option you still have a temp and fan speed controls. It looks like you still have automatic climate control, no? Or is that "temp" switch just a hot/cold adjuster?
It's just a hot/cold adjuster. All automatic climate control systems have an "Auto" button or setting to regulate fan speed even if they aren't dual zone.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I have dual zone climate control and I didn't pay extra for it! How you ask?

See those two switches on the driver's door? Those control the climate on either side of the car, dual zone, right switch rolls down right window thereby heating or cooling the passenger zone depending upon ambient temperatures, and likewise the left switch cools or heats the driver's zone. Dual zone heating and cooling and at almost any infinite level from full up to full down....

I guess if I want I can reach to the center console and turn the temp up or down and turn the fan speed up or down and turn the system to heat/cool too, but my gosh in a car with this small of a cabin do I really need some computer to tell me if I am comfortable or not? Fresh air, check into it, oh and all the better to hear the roar of the exhaust from my Capristo as well! :) :)

·
Banned
550 Posts

ORDER THIS OPTION.

I think your location has some bearing on this decision. I live in Houston (and have always lived in this region) and I don't like automatic climate control. Every car I had before the Porsche had it and I never, ever used the Auto setting. The reason, and again, this is probably region specific, is the excessive fan noise in the summer when you first get in the car. I can't stand it. I would rather sweat for the 2 minutes it takes to cool down than listen to a vacuum cleaner. I purposefully opted to not get the automatic climate control for this car and after almost a year of ownership, I'm perfectly happy*. About half the year I have the windows down and the system completely off anyways. But I can appreciate you bringing to light Porsche's poor description of the feature.

*This is a lie. The rocker switches are not good substitutes for good ole' twisty dials, but other than that, I'm good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
But the point is if you opt out of dual zone climate control you are also opting out of automatic climate control at all. You are then left with manual control which not everyone wants to deal with.

First of all, excuse me for not having congratulated you on GT4. I wish I could have one too.

I gave you my humble opinion on your question. Putting another two cents, I prefer the old school climate control. I hate it when the fan blow the cold air hardest when the engine is still cold in winter due to the auto cliamte control. I also dislike the moldy smell from the vent in summer when the set temp is around 24degrees Celsius even though the temp is the recommended indoor temp in summer.

Good luck with your configuration and have fun. ( I still use the configurator more than one time a day)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426608241.509656.jpg

( a macan blocking the fire truck.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
First of all, excuse me for not having congratulated you on GT4. I wish I could have one too.

I gave you my humble opinion on your question. Putting another two cents, I prefer the old school climate control. I hate it when the fan blow the cold air hardest when the engine is still cold in winter due to the auto cliamte control. I also dislike the moldy smell from the vent in summer when the set temp is around 24degrees Celsius even though the temp is the recommended indoor temp in summer.

Good luck with your configuration and have fun. ( I still use the configurator more than one time a day)
Thanks! Yep, you are right, automatic climate control is a trade off. Automatic anything is a trade off. It never really gets it right. But on the other hand, it is set and forget if you can live with the mistakes here and there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My current BMW auto climate control has independent fan control which is a nice touch so you aren't blasted by cold or hot air when you get into the car during extreme weather times.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I hate it when the fan blow the cold air hardest when the engine is still cold in winter due to the auto cliamte control.
It does that?? I haven't driven mine in temperatures that cold, but my Mazda never did that and neither does my Jeep. It knows the engine/coolant temp and doesn't start blowing until there's warmth to be blown. Does the Porsche system just blindly start blasting whatever air is available with the hopes of getting it right once everything comes up to temperature??

·
Registered
474 Posts
The reason, and again, this is probably region specific, is the excessive fan noise in the summer when you first get in the car. I can't stand it. I would rather sweat for the 2 minutes it takes to cool down than listen to a vacuum cleaner.
That is a funny reaction to living in this area - I can relate growing up and living in AL most my life. I'd take a leaf blower in front and vacuum behind for two minutes if it cooled down a hot/humid/miserable car just a tick faster! ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts