Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scuderia-Hanseat, Nürburgring, Autumn 2015

From Sunday, August 30, to Thursday, September 3, I participated in the Scuderia-Hanseat sports drivers training at Nürburgring. This event has become a tradition and a few petrolhead friends participate every year in the autumn session. To those who are interested in learning the "Ring" and want to participate in a great event, I can highly recommend this training.

The weather was as always in the Eiffel region very mixed, from 38C degrees and sunshine to 14C degrees and torrential rain. We had it all, except for snow, which made the training interesting, to say the least :)

There were several GT4s there (white, yellow, red, sapphire blue and black). Everyone seemed to agree that a color which produces much contrast with the black details (white, yellow and red) does make the car look more aggressive. The black one I mistook for a GTS several times and the sapphire blue did not have the shine and intensity which I had seen on the photos. I snapped one photo of the sapphire car, but the color is not this intense in real life.

There were also plenty of 991 GT3 and GT3 RS cars, as well as 997 and 996 versions of the same.

The GT4 surprised me once again with its sublime balance and excellent handling. Once the Michelin Cup2s build up heat, the GT4 can take very impressive speed through the corners. The level of grip is quite amazing. I had the feeling even the 991 GT3 could not keep up through the turns. The over-sized brakes offer a late braking point and you can gently trail-brake it into a corner without upsetting the chassis, throw the car into the apex without any hesitation and then go full on the throttle as you open the steering. The car will understeer lightly and you can play with it on the limit, until you have full grip. Both fun and fast! :) I was pulling 1.5G in lateral force at the most. Pretty impressive, in my humble opinion.

So once again, with the risk of repeating myself for the n:th time, I am super happy with this car! A package of fun with one wheel in each corner ;)
Awesome cars! Looks like you had a ton of fun there. The Nurburgring is arguably the best public driving road in the world.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Nice pics. Enjoyed your comments. Happy to hear you love your new car. BTW, the side decals on the white car look great. Is that one yours?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Nice pics. Enjoyed your comments. Happy to hear you love your new car. BTW, the side decals on the white car look great. Is that one yours?
Thanks! :)

Yes, the white one with side decals is mine. The decals were put on by my local Porsche garage upon delivery, but don't ask me about he parts number (I don't even know if they are for the 987 or 981).

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Thanks! :)

Yes, the white one with side decals is mine. The decals were put on by my local Porsche garage upon delivery, but don't ask me about he parts number (I don't even know if they are for the 987 or 981).
I have those same side decals on my white Cayman R. I'm considering installing them on my white GT4, too. Delivery is expected next month. I may also install the motorsport hood-roof-wing stripe. These decals are available from Suncoast Porsche parts dept. in Florida for $295 each. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981CGT4ST.html

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hello Persy,

We were there on Monday for the NBR Sport Driving School. Sorry I missed you, would have loved to meet you. I took pics of top your car after having a beer at the Pistinklaus (I think this is yours).

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
These are the million dollar questions which I believe many people are asking themselves now. The same questions which have been asked about the GT3 versus Carrera for the past 15 years.

The GT4 is not rough and unsettled, it is however hard. Very hard. Not only from the dampers, but also from the roll-bars. These make a huge difference in road compliance and comfort. Now, where hard turns to harsh depends very much on the roads where you drive. I am blessed with excellent roads in Switzerland which are flat, even and pothole free. Of track quality, if you like. I could imagine that the GT4 becomes harsh as soon as the road surface gets more interesting ;)

The car does however ask for... no sorry, it demands your focus and concentration. I think this is due to the much stronger sensory feedback than in the non-GT cars. You simply feel every little change in the road surface, the direction of the wheels, the engine vibration, the noise, etc. It is always there and you cannot shut it off. Hence, depending on how tolerant you are, this could all become very tiresome on longer trips. The car is built like that, rubber bushings and sound deadening are gone. It is what everyone are raving about in the reviews, it is what will annoy you after a 3 hour trip ;)

The longest trip I did was 3 hours, but with a pause half-way through. You do feel a bit tired and stiff, and that is coming from someone who is very tolerant. My 991 C4S is on a different scale when it comes to comfort. It is as fast as the GT4 too. It is however no where near as sharp and direct.

I don't think there is a difference in the luggage space between the GT4 and the other Caymans. The rear boot appears smaller than my previous 987 Boxster, but it is a comparison from memory. Not side by side.

Road noise is not bad, but it is there. Like all other noises. Part of the sharper-and-more-direct package.

It is really hard to give advice, since it is very subjective and individual. Nor is there a "right" or "wrong" with the choice. I can just say that the GT4 is special and it requires special attention, all the time. The GTS is for sure more forgiving and much more broad in it's usability. If I did not have the luxury of owning the 991 C4S too, then I would have thought twice about the GT4 as the "only" sports car in the garage.
Appreciate your diary very much. You note it's all about driving enjoyment and fun for you. Would you say that the GT4 is more fun around town and on the street than your 9914S?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Hello Persy,

We were there on Monday for the NBR Sport Driving School. Sorry I missed you, would have loved to meet you. I took pics of top your car after having a beer at the Pistinklaus (I think this is yours).
This is indeed mine :)

That is funny. We stayed at the Hotel am Tiergarten and were in the Pistenklause every evening. We have probably seen each other but neither knew :cheers: I hope you enjoyed your time in Nürburg and at the Ring.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Appreciate your diary very much. You note it's all about driving enjoyment and fun for you. Would you say that the GT4 is more fun around town and on the street than your 9914S?

Thanks! :cheers:

The GT4 is far more fun than the C4S around town and on the street. I am exaggerating now, but in comparison the GT4 feels like a go-cart and the C4S like Mercedes S-Class. The distance is obviously not that big, but it is in this direction...

Please don't read that as if the C4S is not a great sports car. It is. A brilliant one. It is just that the driver involvement is magnified in the GT4. The steering, gearing, pedals, suspension, etc. provides instant and direct feedback. In the C4S the same involvement is there, but muted. Having said that, the C4S is much more versatile and comfortable... and if you press the Sport Plus button the C4S is still as fast as the GT4 around a track ;) Not as fun though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I have just joined Planet 9 and finished reading this excellent thread.

I collected my GT4 in France in July and am commenting on issues raised on the thread. It is obvious that everyone has different priorities and perceptions so these are just more impressions to add to the pot. I have not yet been on track but have travelled a few thousand km, many on great roads.

I am 6' 3½" and slim. My first impressions of the LWB, apart from thinking they looked great, especially with yellow stitching in a yellow car, were not that favourable. Fairly hard, with slight pressure from a horizontal ridge across the top of my back, no lumbar support and too wide. However, having now driven six hour days with only a half hour break for lunch I find them to be, together with the buckets in the 996.1 GT3 I used to own, the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in over long trips. In most cars I eventually get a sore backside and numb feet and wrists but I find the driving position in the GT4 with LWBs perfect. You do need to be agile and develop a technique for getting in and out. I find that by placing my outer hand on the sill and pivoting over it it's not a problem but you need to instruct passengers.

I also find the ride excellent. Very occasionally a pothole will be jarring and a very rough road jiggles, but 99% of the time I find it comfortable. For a feeling of precision I wouldn't want it any softer. Even the stiff damper setting is fine at speed.

At low revs with the exhaust in standard mode the motor is quiet, too quiet in fact. On a motorway cruise there is some tyre noise but the only thing I found annoying was gearbox/diff whine. Fortunately by the end of the running in period it had largely abated. With the exhaust button pressed and windows down there is a lovely burble and crackle at low revs and at high revs an amazingly loud and wonderfully serrated bark.

My front spoiler has 12cm clearance and I have crossed most speed humps slowly without scraping. I think the only real impracticality in the car is crossing improperly designed ramps. It's surprising how easily you scrape on them unless you have room to cross the transitions at a sharp sideways angle. The good thing is that when you do scrape, the black lip doesn't fold under and scrape the front. Instead the painted part flexes upwards and only the underside of the black lip is scraped, which you can't see unless the car's on a hoist.

The pedal for my steel brakes is wonderfully firm from the very top and full of feel. The gearshift is exceptionally precise, short of throw and quite light. The clutch is very heavy by modern standards but after a short while I no longer noticed it and once used to the pickup it is easily judged. It did feel weird the first time I got back into a normal car though, like it had no clutch at all!

The cornering grip defies belief but the steering feel, slight understeer with the standard setup and perfect balance of the car make it surprisingly easy to get at least somewhere near it's limits. However it didn't feel as lively as my old GT3. Setting PASM to hard and turning off the nannies helped but I still wasn't satisfied so I had the rear ARB adjusted from medium to stiff. Instead of constant slight understeer unless you really provoked the rear, it is now completely neutral with steady throttle, and both lifting and accelerating lets you straighten the steering. The car feels so much more alive and agile, always on its toes instead of just being steadfastly planted, and seemingly without inertia or momentum at either end. It’s still confidence inspiring but now really holds your attention as you sense the reactions to steering and throttle inputs. Most of the time it feels like the rear tyres are just able to contain full throttle if you apply it smoothly. The steering is lighter and more willing and the front wheels feel directly connected to your hands rather than separated by a couple of metres of mechanical components.

With the rear ARB change it is so good that I haven't yet tried switching the dampers to hard or stability and traction off so there are still layers of thrills to be revealed. Unfortunately that must wait because the car and I are now on opposite sides of the world for a few months but I am constantly reliving my last mind-blowing drives on my local mountain road with zero understeer even in hairpins, the amazing g-forces pressing my shoulders against the welcome rigidity of the buckets, each rifle-bolt up-change giving another thump of torque, and the rabid sound filling the valley.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts

I collected my GT4 in France in July and am commenting on issues raised on the thread. It is obvious that everyone has different priorities and perceptions so these are just more impressions to add to the pot. I have not yet been on track but have travelled a few thousand km, many on great roads.

I am 6' 3½" and slim. My first impressions of the LWB, apart from thinking they looked great, especially with yellow stitching in a yellow car, were not that favourable. Fairly hard, with slight pressure from a horizontal ridge across the top of my back, no lumbar support and too wide. However, having now driven six hour days with only a half hour break for lunch I find them to be, together with the buckets in the 996.1 GT3 I used to own, the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in over long trips. In most cars I eventually get a sore backside and numb feet and wrists but I find the driving position in the GT4 with LWBs perfect. You do need to be agile and develop a technique for getting in and out. I find that by placing my outer hand on the sill and pivoting over it it's not a problem but you need to instruct passengers.

I also find the ride excellent. Very occasionally a pothole will be jarring and a very rough road jiggles, but 99% of the time I find it comfortable. For a feeling of precision I wouldn't want it any softer. Even the stiff damper setting is fine at speed.

At low revs with the exhaust in standard mode the motor is quiet, too quiet in fact. On a motorway cruise there is some tyre noise but the only thing I found annoying was gearbox/diff whine. Fortunately by the end of the running in period it had largely abated. With the exhaust button pressed and windows down there is a lovely burble and crackle at low revs and at high revs an amazingly loud and wonderfully serrated bark.

My front spoiler has 12cm clearance and I have crossed most speed humps slowly without scraping. I think the only real impracticality in the car is crossing improperly designed ramps. It's surprising how easily you scrape on them unless you have room to cross the transitions at a sharp sideways angle. The good thing is that when you do scrape, the black lip doesn't fold under and scrape the front. Instead the painted part flexes upwards and only the underside of the black lip is scraped, which you can't see unless the car's on a hoist.

The pedal for my steel brakes is wonderfully firm from the very top and full of feel. The gearshift is exceptionally precise, short of throw and quite light. The clutch is very heavy by modern standards but after a short while I no longer noticed it and once used to the pickup it is easily judged. It did feel weird the first time I got back into a normal car though, like it had no clutch at all!

The cornering grip defies belief but the steering feel, slight understeer with the standard setup and perfect balance of the car make it surprisingly easy to get at least somewhere near it's limits. However it didn't feel as lively as my old GT3. Setting PASM to hard and turning off the nannies helped but I still wasn't satisfied so I had the rear ARB adjusted from medium to stiff. Instead of constant slight understeer unless you really provoked the rear, it is now completely neutral with steady throttle, and both lifting and accelerating lets you straighten the steering. The car feels so much more alive and agile, always on its toes instead of just being steadfastly planted, and seemingly without inertia or momentum at either end. It’s still confidence inspiring but now really holds your attention as you sense the reactions to steering and throttle inputs. Most of the time it feels like the rear tyres are just able to contain full throttle if you apply it smoothly. The steering is lighter and more willing and the front wheels feel directly connected to your hands rather than separated by a couple of metres of mechanical components.

With the rear ARB change it is so good that I haven't yet tried switching the dampers to hard or stability and traction off so there are still layers of thrills to be revealed. Unfortunately that must wait because the car and I are now on opposite sides of the world for a few months but I am constantly reliving my last mind-blowing drives on my local mountain road with zero understeer even in hairpins, the amazing g-forces pressing my shoulders against the welcome rigidity of the buckets, each rifle-bolt up-change giving another thump of torque, and the rabid sound filling the valley.
Welcome, first post about a car that we all love to see and no pictures!!! :hilarious:

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,651 Posts

Thank you for your vividly eloquent assessment.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very good quick review and the last photo is great. I sold my MRS 265 this Friday (in Black) and GT4 is coming in 2 weeks (in White). So I see I am not the only one who purchased Porsche previously (still) owning Renault. I was very tempted to keep it, but having only rented garages stopped me from doing that. I still hope the Trophy-R will make one day it`s way to my garage.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Ive been swaping back and forth between GT4 and 987.2 a fair bit lately.
Now I really notice the lighter flywheel and also the new clutch engagement torque limiter which can reduce the jolt if you off it too quick which is possible when you swap cars and the memory muscle was set for the other car!
The LWFW really drops revs a lot quicker, which also helps the auto blip be pretty good and quick.
All in all shifting is faster now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Happy Halloween! Lovely autumn colours here in Switzerland and that howling flat-six got some exercise yesterday :)

_DSC0452.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sustenpass

Let's make another photo pitstop before we continue the journey. This time from Sustenpass, 2'224 meters above the ocean. A truly beautiful road
Persy,
Your photos in Switzerland are amazing. I'd like to go there during my ED trip if the roads are open then. Since you're there, what are some good places to drive in Switzerland and what's the best way to get there from Zuffenhausen? When do the roads usually open? I'm going in mid-May, maybe 1st week of June and I'm afraid many of the breathtaking roads will still be closed then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Terrific review and pictures...Bravo!

One question-- parking next to that wall in the garage, it looks like you'd need to be a circus performer to get out of the car; what's your technique? :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the diary and I love the car! Seeing your car has inspired me to do the black side stripe. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not but it looks GREAT. And the photos! Wow! You are one lucky man I must say. The US has some beautiful country for sure but Europe has some amazing photo ops on some gorgeous roads. I hope one day to make it over to experience the scenery and roads in person.

Would you by chance have the photos in higher resolution and would you feel comfortable sharing? I would LOVE to use some of these for wallpaper! 1920x1080 or larger would be awesome!
I was thinking the exact same thing! I have ordered a GT4 in CW and seeing the stripe has got me thinking!

Awesome pics aswell dude.

JP

141 - 160 of 178 Posts