Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking at a GT4 that has all the options I want, and the price is fair, but the VAL shows some overrevs in range 4 and 5 (detail below). Been reading a lot about this, and the twist here is that they occurred about 150 hours ago. So...should i overlook it and proceed? Also, I’m not sure if 119 ignitions is a lot or not. That would seem like a fraction of a second? Here is data
Range 1: 69 ignitions
Range 2: 10
Range 3: 10
Range 4: 55
Range 5: 119
Range 6: 0

The 2, 3, 4 and 5 all occurred at same time about 150 hours ago.

Thx for any insights.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
My understanding is that it wouldn’t be possible to get to 119 range 5s without having at least the same number in 1 through 4.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi, I’m looking at a GT4 that has all the options I want, and the price is fair, but the VAL shows some overrevs in range 4 and 5 (detail below). Been reading a lot about this, and the twist here is that they occurred about 150 hours ago. So...should i overlook it and proceed? Also, I’m not sure if 119 ignitions is a lot or not. That would seem like a fraction of a second? Here is data

Thx for any insights.
If this is your only concern buy it, and as they say, “Drive it like you stole it!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

Thx for any insights.
The numbers are the number of spark ignitions. Divide by 3 and that is the number of revolutions.

119 (rounded to 120) divided by 3 is 40 revolutions at 8000 RPM * 60 seconds per minutes is 60/200ths or 3/10 of a second.

Normally, as noted elsewhere, it is abnormal for lower ranges to have fewer ignitions than a higher range unless they occurred at a later time than the higher range (you did not provide the hours for the other ranges). Since this happened 150 hours ago, there probably is no affect on the engine - so I would use it as a bargaining chip. I'd have the CAM deviation checked for peace of mind.

An overrev can stretch the timing chain and eventually cause the valve timing to be off. In a severe case the chain can break, causing the engine to self-destruct.

V6

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update: I decided to pass on this car, because I decided the price wasn’t worth the risk and history. I’ve since found a CPO GT4 for less money, with a totally clean DME. So, it’s all working out... thanks all.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quick update: I decided to pass on this car, because I decided the price wasn’t worth the risk and history. I’ve since found a CPO GT4 for less money, with a totally clean DME. So, it’s all working out... thanks all.
I’d say it did. Happy for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts