Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

GT4 DME/VAL Help

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cobby 
#1 ·
Hi, I’m looking at a GT4 that has all the options I want, and the price is fair, but the VAL shows some overrevs in range 4 and 5 (detail below). Been reading a lot about this, and the twist here is that they occurred about 150 hours ago. So...should i overlook it and proceed? Also, I’m not sure if 119 ignitions is a lot or not. That would seem like a fraction of a second? Here is data
Range 1: 69 ignitions
Range 2: 10
Range 3: 10
Range 4: 55
Range 5: 119
Range 6: 0

The 2, 3, 4 and 5 all occurred at same time about 150 hours ago.

Thx for any insights.

#2 ·
My understanding is that it wouldn’t be possible to get to 119 range 5s without having at least the same number in 1 through 4.

#4 · (Edited)
The numbers are the number of spark ignitions. Divide by 3 and that is the number of revolutions.

119 (rounded to 120) divided by 3 is 40 revolutions at 8000 RPM * 60 seconds per minutes is 60/200ths or 3/10 of a second.

Normally, as noted elsewhere, it is abnormal for lower ranges to have fewer ignitions than a higher range unless they occurred at a later time than the higher range (you did not provide the hours for the other ranges). Since this happened 150 hours ago, there probably is no affect on the engine - so I would use it as a bargaining chip. I'd have the CAM deviation checked for peace of mind.

An overrev can stretch the timing chain and eventually cause the valve timing to be off. In a severe case the chain can break, causing the engine to self-destruct.

V6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.