Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not getting a GT4, although I'd like to. In reality, I can't stand the wing and don't want to sell my 981 just to get a bigger engine that I desperately want but don't need (nor do I want to embark on a transaction that will make my wife divorce me and take my garage -- I mean house). So, I'm "stuck" with the car I love, that has more power than I really need and I'm just waiting for the code to be cracked so I can have the throttle to open all the way....

That said, I like the ducktail and scoops on the side air inlets. Any ideas on retrofitting those?

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I'm sure they'll be easily retrofitable. Its a stock body on gt4.

The real question is how to retrofit the wing onto my981s BOXSTER?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I'm sure they'll be easily retrofitable. Its a stock body on gt4.

The real question is how to retrofit the wing onto my981s BOXSTER?
Do you think that a covertible with a large wing really looks good?

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Do you think that a covertible with a large wing really looks good?
With large wing - no.
With proper wing... oh yes

GT4s wing is the same proportions as 911S above:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
That last pic showing the back of the GT4 makes it pretty obvious that the geometry will be entirely wrong if you try to slap it on the Boxster.

That said... if you REALLY like the shape of the plane on it, I suppose having new brackets made wouldn't be so hard. I have to think though that there must be dozens of aftermarket options with the same basic look to them that would be cheaper and easier to implement. If you really wanted one, that is.

As for the side scoops... I expect those probably just snap right on in place of the existing trim all our cars came with.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Looks like the ducktail fits where the spoiler does on current cars. Probably easy swap and will require the lift mechanism to be disabled (fuse?). I want the spoiler and the ducktail.

There is a long 20 minute review of the GT4 on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4) where the Porsche Motorsport designer Andreas Preuninger (same guy lead the 911 GT3 team) talks about the GT4 and says the larger rear spoiler was required because at top speed, the Cayman starts developing lift. Sounds as good a reason as any to put one on my car! I don't really like the front end at all.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Anyone know of it's possible to order the side scoops from a supplier or would that only be a dealer item
Seems to me that companies like Suncoast sell pretty much any factory parts that people like to use as upgrades. I don't think there's any reason to believe these will be any different.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
That last pic showing the back of the GT4 makes it pretty obvious that the geometry will be entirely wrong if you try to slap it on the Boxster.

That said... if you REALLY like the shape of the plane on it, I suppose having new brackets made wouldn't be so hard. I have to think though that there must be dozens of aftermarket options with the same basic look to them that would be cheaper and easier to implement. If you really wanted one, that is.

As for the side scoops... I expect those probably just snap right on in place of the existing trim all our cars came with.
Exactly, it's obvious it'll need new brackets. Brackets are easy. I know there are tonns of aftermarket options - I just can't afford to go through all of them to see what works. I want this from porsche, and I want to see it before I buy it, and we've seen it on GT4 now.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Fair enough. I won't argue with that.

·
Noob
843 Posts
I really like the wing, but not the side thingies that look like pimples on skin. Just out of place.
I wish they offer that too, to existing owners as an upgrade.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There is a long 20 minute review of the GT4 on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4) where the Porsche Motorsport designer Andreas Preuninger (same guy lead the 911 GT3 team) talks about the GT4 and says the larger rear spoiler was required because at top speed, the Cayman starts developing lift. Sounds as good a reason as any to put one on my car! I don't really like the front end at all.
I think he said the whole aero kit was designed to eliminate that lift, and then they even ended up with 100kg down at top speed.

But if you add the wing without the front end, aren't you just upsetting the balance of your car at high speeds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Don't like the wing or side scoops so i'm good. The 991 GT3 bits are much more tasteful imo. The ducktail looks cool I suppose, but what I really want from the GT4 are the wheels and mirror housings.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm betting the mirrors will be a simple swap and expect a lot of people will get them. The wheels though... I'll bet those are gonna be hugely expensive!!

·
Noob
843 Posts
But if you add the wing without the front end, aren't you just upsetting the balance of your car at high speeds?

Barely anyone will be using the car over 120mph, let alone top speed. (based on that other poll thread, more likely 0-80mph)
Only needed if you are trying to grab nurburgring numbers.
Its all visuals/aesthetics for most of the people (including me) not part of that niche segment.
Wings do make the car look sportier.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Barely anyone will be using the car over 120mph, let alone top speed. (based on that other poll thread, more likely 0-80mph)
Its all visuals/aesthetics for most of the people (including me) not part of that niche.
Just because a poll (albeit with little or no validity) suggests most GT4 buyers expect it to be a more than 50% street car doesn't mean those cars won't be tracked. I would guess most GT4s will be on a track at some point and those cars will get over 120, probably well over. Indeed, if a GT4 is not to be tracked, why buy it?

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its all visuals/aesthetics for most of the people (including me) not part of that niche segment.
Wings do make the car look sportier.
I think the person to whom I was responding said that he wanted to add the wing to his Cayman (non GT4) because of the lift at top speed. (see his original post). I get putting on the wing on for the look (no problem with that), but if he's actually doing it for function then that may not work so well unless you do something with the front.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
... The ducktail looks cool I suppose, but what I really want from the GT4 are the wheels and mirror housings.
What I really want from the GT4 is the 3.8L engine ! :hilarious:

Reactions: Fentanyl and F.X.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts