Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

GT4 Dyno with COBB Tune and SOUL Headers

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  joshua@arcflash 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
We installed some Soul Catted headers on this Cayman GT4 last weekend and did a Pro-tune on the COBB AccessPort as well. Super happy with the results :devilish:

See less See more
1 3
#3 ·
Nice results! It also shows how much Cobb leaves in the table with the stock stage 2 tunes. Another 20HP and torque is a huge jump with the Pro tune, and although my car is a cayman S, the difference between the Cobb stage 2 and pro tune was much more noticeable than it was when I went from stock to tuned to begin with

#4 ·
I'm curious what the difference in ambient heat is with the Soul headers. They don't have a heat shield like the OEM's, so without a ceramic coating it seems you would be dumping a lot more heat into the engine bay.

#6 ·
No aftermarket headers for the 981 have heat shields of any kind that I am aware of. Mine are M&M from Germany and they have been on the car for years now in the 100F Summer heat here in GA where I live and no issues so far. I had Fabspeed on my prior Porsche and same thing. Some of the track guys will install the Carrera heat shields since its direct bolt on

#5 ·
Great work - those are some solid gains with your pro tune!

As far as heat goes, it's really not that detrimental to the surrounding components. As part of development we make sure to get the cars up on the lift as quickly as possible after some street testing to check the extent of heat soak and ensure clearances under operating conditions. The factory headers do their best to lock heat in to keep the catalytic converters hot and in the ideal range for catalyzation. We have had some track rats wrap the headers for sustained high RPM use to minimize any chances of heat transfer. We have a great relationship with Jet-Hot if anyone ever wants ceramic coating.

-Mike

#9 ·
We dynoed this GT4 stock, with tune, with headers and off the shelf tune and after our pro-tune.

We're probably going to do a Soul cat back, IPD plenum and runners on this car but for now it's completely stock besides the Soul headers and tune.

Very few cars have a 15% drivetrain loss in my experience. This particular car is under 10%; looking at stock whp vs bhp I'd say 7%. This car is more like 425bhp, still a 45hp gain with tuning and headers is great.

Great results!

Your mod list is COBB protune, Soul long tube street headers only? Anything on the intake side?

Am I reading correctly, based on the bottom left of the sheet, that these are wheel hp and tq numbers? With 15% loss, we're talking 469 hp and 417 lbft at the crank! Very impressive!

#11 ·
I just got a set of the same Soul headers and will be installing them when the weather gets a bit warmer here in PA. I've noticed that in my searches pretty much any dyno results I've found have been header and tune combos only. I have not been able to find a stock 981 baseline Vs 981 with headers ONLY, to show the result of the headers only. Did you guys do that or just went right from baseline to headers and tune combo only too?

I don't have any local or nearby places that tune Porsche so I also purchased the Softronic tune. I'm hoping to be able to arrange a couple of sessions with a local dyno to do stock baseline runs, come back after the headers are installed to run again for a direct comparison, then return again after I do the Softronic tune to have an overall step by step story. It seems like the majority of results out there are just a baseline Vs all at once results instead of the progression from one to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.