Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Shared plenty of track time with various Lotus cars, great handling cars with enthusiastic owners. :burnout:

Sadly I would not consider owning one given the inherent instability of Lotus as a company.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Perfect matchup for magazine and video comparisons!

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not a huge fan of that Evora 400... I was eagerly anticipating the Elan a few years, but that sadly turned out to be nothing more than a pipe dream.

. image.jpg

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
It's a fine looking car and I'm pretty sure it'll drive awesome. So I wouldn't say no if somebody would give it to me... But seriously thinking Lotus can compete with Porsche? They probably sold less lotuses alltogether than Porsche will sell GT4s

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Due to low sales volume, we frequently don't get reliability data on Lotuses from the usual sources. When we do hear about Lotus reliability, however, the message historically has mostly been dismal. The major exception, of course, has been the Toyota engines added some years back to the no-longer-available (in North America) Elise. Who makes the Evora engine?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had my Elise for 10 years and it's very reliable. Toyota engine and transmission. Never burned a drop of oil and it's super cheap to service. $800 set of tires last 8+ track days. Same goes for a $350 set of pads. Great car. The thing you have to remember is there's nothing to break on the car. Double wishbones all around, proper suspension.

Toyota engines are also the Evora. The Evora has some quirks to it though that make things like clutch replacement pretty time consuming.

This Evora 400 is still a regular street car and I wouldn't say it's as focused as the GT4. Still, Lotus knows how to do driver focused cars. The Evora's steering will wipe the floor with the GT4's. If they had Porsche's development budget, would be pretty awesome to see what they could do. But they don't, and that is why Porsche makes a more all-around developed car that appeals to a wider market. But with Lotus I don't get that feeling like they are sucking me dry for every last $$ in options.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've had my Elise for 10 years and it's very reliable.
That's great to hear, and except for the Toyota parts, a real surprise. (I remember when a Europa would break as frequently as a pre-Ford Jaguar, which is to say almost constantly.) HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE ON THIS CAR?

Toyota engine and transmission. Never burned a drop of oil and it's super cheap to service.
What else would one expect from Toyota. In the 20 years I owned an MR2 Turbo, I had virtually no problems (though at the end it did have only 50K miles on the clock). VERY smart of Lotus to counter their historic reputation for unreliability with engine/transmission from the most reliable auto maker in the world!

$800 set of tires . . . Great car. The thing you have to remember is there's nothing to break on the car. Double wishbones all around, proper suspension.
'Can't beat that!

Toyota engines are also the Evora. The Evora has some quirks to it though that make things like clutch replacement pretty time consuming.
Thanks for the answer to my question. About the clutch, I don't track my car, put on about 2,500 miles a year, and I'm 67. Said differently, I'm guessing I'll be dead before there's a need for a clutch.

This Evora 400 is still a regular street car and I wouldn't say it's as focused as the GT4.
For some of us, that's actually a plus. If the car is kept only on the street, what good is a flywheel light enough to make idle lumpy, or a ride height so low we can't get up into the driveway? I'd never get a GT4 and indeed have troubles with the low bottom edge of the front bumper on my 981 CS even without sport suspension.

Stil l, Lotus knows how to do driver focused cars.
Indeed that's their reputation. One part does concern me, however. Why does the Evora weigh soooooo much more than the Elise? Is this not a move in the sad direction all manufacturer's have gone, including, alas, Porsche?

The Evora's steering will wipe the floor with the GT4's.
Does that mean it's still hydraulic?

If they had Porsche's development budget, would be pretty awesome to see what they could do. But they don't, and that is why Porsche makes a more all-around developed car that appeals to a wider market.
Would you please be more specific about those aspects of the 981 that you feel are "more . . . developed" than those found on the Lotus? I'd find the comparison from a real Lotus owner quite interesting and I suspect some other P-9 people might as well.

But with Lotus I don't get that feeling like they are sucking me dry for every last $$ in options.
Can you say anything about the details? Ya know, the myth is that what you've said here is at least partly true because Lotus (at least historically) doesn't offer 10,000 options (e.g., leather-covered air-conditioner vents, etc., etc.).

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. I suspect despite all the occasional talk about Corvettes here on Planet-9, underneath it all, there may be a whole lot more curiosity about the Evora than about a C7. Unlike the C7, the Evora's definition of "mid-engine" is putting the engine where F1 and LMP1 cars put it. Unlike the C7, as heavy as the Evora is, it's not obese. Unlike the C7, the aesthetics of the Evora do not suggest that front view was designed by an adolescent Japanese anime cartoonist. Unlike the C7, the Evora would still fit in my garage.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvr38OOAOE is a link to an on-the-track comparison between a 981 CS and the current Evora (not the 400-HP version about to come out). What surprised me was finding out that the Evora weighs even more than the CS. Remember the days when Lotus's big advantage over everyone else is that it's models were pretty much all feather-weights???

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvr38OOAOE is a link to an on-the-track comparison between a 981 CS and the current Evora (not the 400-HP version about to come out). What surprised me was finding out that the Evora weighs even more than the CS. Remember the days when Lotus's big advantage over everyone else is that it's models were pretty much all feather-weights???
Isn't Evora a 4 seater? Than weight comparison would be about right

·
Registered
955 Posts
Isn't Evora a 4 seater? Than weight comparison would be about right
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Price-wise, the Evora is probably similar to a Cayman. But car-wise, I’ve always looked at it more like Lotus’ 911, not Lotus’ Cayman ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
2015CS:
Lost my original reply, so let me try to duplicate:

- mileage: I have about 30k miles, some long driving trips like LA to Monterrey and plenty of track days.

- weight: Evora is based on an aluminum tub and similar to the Aston Martin architecture (Lotus designed that). I suspect there's a lot of extra weight from the Toyota engine and transmission, supercharger / chargecooler, and some superfluous items that they have removed in the Evora 400. The Elise is light in large part due to its size and minimalist design. Yes it has lightweight materials too, but if someone were redesigning the same sized car today, it could be made 200 .lbs lighter without too much trouble. Only so much development Lotus can do on their budget.

- Steering feel: yes, the Evora uses hydraulic steering. A bit more quick than the Porsche rack and smaller diameter steering wheel (Porsche sometimes has bus sized wheels)

- Porsche more developed than Lotus: It comes down to development budget. Lotus has a limited budget so they focus more on how the car feels as a sports car and the suspension (generally tuned very soft for road use). Their cars tend to be used more as weekend toys as well. So what you get is a more lively feeling car that at times also feels more special (more exotic looks, aluminum tub, race car feel), except for the engine. 50mph feels like 100mph. Handling will feel a bit more edgy. On the downside, you can tell the car is handmade with the fit and finish (not perfect), and there is a more toy / kit car feel to it. This has improved a LOT in the Evora. Definitely does not feel as if the car has been produced in the tens of thousands though. I'm actually impressed with the quality of the Evora, much better than I was expecting. Feels as if though a small team designed it. Comes in colors like bright blue, green, yellow, orange.

Porsche is the opposite. With Porsche you get a car that has more mature feel to it. Interior feels higher quality and more logically laid out, it has a bespoke engine, less NVH, more technology in the cabin, more safe / less edgy looks, more sterile feeling, and the edges are bit more rounded off to make the car appeal to a broader audience. However, dynamically, Porsche is excellent tuning their cars, so the car will be very fast and also easier to drive. Less edgy handling. Less sense of youth in the car. But also more competence, prestige, luxury, and the car is probably faster too. The shifter will feel like a well engineered item vs. some rope that is attached to the transmission. The engine will sound and feel expensive. So a more complete car from top to bottom.

- Options: Porsche charges what they think you will pay, so the same option costs more on a 911 than it does on a Macan. $800 for automatic climate control? Why isn't this standard in 981s? They package performance items in the Sport Chrono pack so you are forced to pay a bunch of money for a useless clock on the dash. Why do I have to pay $1700 to get a USB input when that's standard on a KIA? Saving weight is not the reason. Lotus used to have a trim shop where someone would hand cover any interior piece with leather / deviating stitching / etc. It took forever because it was a small operation, but prices were actually reasonable. Ironically, I think the Evora 400 will probably be a bit more expensive than the Cayman GT4. Economies of scale.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
VANTAGESC: Thank you for your helpful reply. (As I'm sure you know, PAG rips us off on accessories because they've discovered that, despite our near-universal frustration, they can get away with it.)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
If Porsche is ever to create an entry level model below the Boxster one day, it should be as basic as the Lotus (with no technical aids) but with the superior looks of a Porsche.

Sorry, but Lotus doesn't get my attention nowadays. I rarely see them even if I come across one. Maybe track focused guys here are interested in the Lotus. But I wouldn't even test drive one or have one in my garage at whatever price. The looks are very very very much dated and overly busy for my taste. And I remember sitting in one 15 years ago, and it was extremely uncomfortable to get into.

Even if they produced a version that smokes the 911, just like the GT-R, it won't move me a bit. But that's just me.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Who's here wouldn't like basic lightweight Porsche two-seater...

If Porsche were to create something that would be below 2500 lbs, with minimum or no electronics/assistance and great looks I'd be the first to get it. 981 is way too big for a two seater.

If Porsche is ever to create an entry level model below the Boxster one day, it should be as basic as the Lotus (with no technical aids) but with the superior looks of a Porsche.

Sorry, but Lotus doesn't get my attention nowadays. I rarely see them even if I come across one. Maybe track focused guys here are interested in the Lotus. But I wouldn't even test drive one or have one in my garage at whatever price. The looks are very very very much dated and overly busy for my taste. And I remember sitting in one 15 years ago, and it was extremely uncomfortable to get into.

Even if they produced a version that smokes the 911, just like the GT-R, it won't move me a bit. But that's just me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts