Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my new GT4 at Lime Rock Park last week. The set up was standard - as the car still has break-in miles. I kept revs below 5000 rpm (except for the odd foray up to 6 when temptation was too great).
I don't have to tell you what a hundred journalist have already said - this is a fantastic track car. My comparison is against a much modified 2006 Cayman with a full track set-up so the GT4 felt a little soft compared to my old car, but even at lower rpm's the car felt strong. Mainly I noticed the increase in torque and could almost attain same speeds up the hill in 4th as I could in 3rd in the Cayman S. My best time with Hoosiers in the S was a 2.00.6, I managed 2.03 on street tires using low revs in th GT4. I drove with the traction control on and it allows quite a bit of slip angle before it intervenes (actually it didn't intervene at all, whereas I had to switch it off in the S because it intruded all the time).
I took a fellow instructor out and he said that it felt amazing from the passenger seat - he noticed the sharp turn in and how the car could be made to rotate on the throttle around big bend.
I have the steel brakes and they feel superb. Even compared to the GT3 brakes with Pagids which I had on the S, these feel sharper and have very good modulation. The car still wiggles its hips under heavy braking but it seems all Cayman's do to some extent - it will be interesting to see if this can be helped with a more track oriented set-up.
Subjectively, the car feels fantastic, I drive everywhere with the exhaust button on and the windows open (I have to, I have no air conditioning) it handles the North-East's bad roads better than you would expect,which is good news for owners that will use their cars mainly on the street. It looks great to my eyes too. It has the best components of a GT3 and a981 in combination and I can't help sneaking a glance back at the car when I walk away.
If any of you are thinking of buying a GT4 and hesitating. Don't.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Thanks for the insightful review.

It really helps that you have a frame of reference and that you are very familiar with the Cayman platform.

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
No A/C...that's committed...

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
You must be the owner of the GT4 at the Cars and Croissants event today that spoke to my friend Retired-Teach (also a member here).

Thank you for the report.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
I have a few track records in my 2010 CS with modifications.
Super soft tyres, LCA, exhaust etc

Will be interesting to see what a stock GT4 can do.
I kinda suspect if I cant get the super softs on the GT4 it will be slower.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels and tires are proving complicated - as the GT4 has a modified rear suspension, it results in an unusual rear wheel offset, so it looks like 19's will be necessary - trouble is there isn't a great variety of competition tires in 19's - best fit so far are Hoosier 19 X 265 in front and 19 X 305 in rear. It is important that the diameter of front relative to rear remain close to stock so as not to confuse ABS.
CCW wheels in the US are looking into the sizes and fitment and as soon as they have come back to me with a solution, I will post the result.
So for now, it looks like we are stuck with Michelin PSC 2's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wheels and tires are proving complicated - as the GT4 has a modified rear suspension, it results in an unusual rear wheel offset, so it looks like 19's will be necessary - trouble is there isn't a great variety of competition tires in 19's - best fit so far are Hoosier 19 X 265 in front and 19 X 305 in rear. It is important that the diameter of front relative to rear remain close to stock so as not to confuse ABS.
CCW wheels in the US are looking into the sizes and fitment and as soon as they have come back to me with a solution, I will post the result.
So for now, it looks like we are stuck with Michelin PSC 2's.

Are you using the stock wheels on the track? My brother is waiting for his GT4 to come in and is starting to look for a track set, he would like 19's but unsure of fitment.

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
My experience is limited to 15 laps at 7/10ths at Nurburgring and 1 lap at 10/10ths. I learned so much when I took a lap with a local pro. The car is soooo much more capable than I would have ever guessed. He stayed on the throttle in turns when I would have at least lifted and may have braked. Also, the general respect the car gets on the "Ring is equal to that of a GT3, which I find amazing. The tires are Dunlops on my car and although I can't compare them to the Michelin Cup 2s which I have no experience, the Dunlops are extremely sticky and give you an unreal level of confidence.

The Pro driver's comment was he felt he need to make the steering adjustment to have a bit less understeer, and that the back end was too bouncy. He had some ideas of what he would do on his ordered GT4 to overcome the bouncy issue.

I can't wait to get the car back to my home circuit NOLA Motorsports park so I can make a head to head comparison to my last 2 981 Caymans. As a complete newbie I got down to 2:15 lap in a Cayman S. In my Cayman GTS 1/2 day I got to 2:07. I think the GT4 will love NOLAs fast chicanes and long curves where I expect to hold a lot of speed - so I hope to get to sub 2:00 with the GT4. We'll see and report back.

Reactions: Persy

·
Registered
540 Posts
My experience is limited to 15 laps at 7/10ths at Nurburgring and 1 lap at 10/10ths. I learned so much when I took a lap with a local pro. The car is soooo much more capable than I would have ever guessed. He stayed on the throttle in turns when I would have at least lifted and may have braked. Also, the general respect the car gets on the "Ring is equal to that of a GT3, which I find amazing.
Matt did you or the pro turn off any of the nanny's while tracking ?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Matt did you or the pro turn off any of the nanny's while tracking ?
We did not. Honestly, I couldn't feel them kick in if they did. The Nurburgring has a set of very slow corners which are taken at very slow speeds combined with incredible high speed corners which are really just a slight change of direction. Never felt anything such as even a small slide correction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience after almost 2months of ownership and about 5-6 trackdays (and 1 round of tyres!) is that it is fast, and easy to drive fast. I improved almost 5 sec on both of my local tracks, wich both are around 1:30 laptimes. My old car was a 987.2 S.

there is also a lot of understeer, more than i had expected. Also my car needed som more neg camber on the front wheels.

Its a great car on the track!

·
Registered
540 Posts
My experience after almost 2months of ownership and about 5-6 trackdays (and 1 round of tyres!) is that it is fast, and easy to drive fast. I improved almost 5 sec on both of my local tracks, wich both are around 1:30 laptimes. My old car was a 987.2 S.

there is also a lot of understeer, more than i had expected. Also my car needed som more neg camber on the front wheels.

Its a great car on the track!
What are your current settings ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are your current settings ?
Front camber
was: left -1deg 23min, right -1deg 20min
now: left -1deg 54min, right -1deg 52min

front toe
was: 0 deg 05 min and -0 deg 01min, total 0deg 05min (one side + and the other - !!)
now 0 and 00 both sides, total 0 and 00

rear camber
unch -1deg 25 and 29 min (left/right)

rear toe
unch 0 min 12 and 21min (left/right)

its not a big change, and I wanted to go in quite small steps and not make any major changes befor my upcoming trip to the ring and spa. I'll see how it feels on those faster tracks and then i have all winter to think about it, and then try some new adjustments (sway bars) next season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts