Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Once again I was perusing ebay for GT4s and came across this one:
2016 Porsche Cayman | eBay
I'm looking thru the photos when, to quote Foo Fighters, "one of these things is not like the other". Does anyone else see the anomaly?
Here's my take on this GT4 after a quick glance.
It says two keys but only shows one in the photo. When I see one key, Im probably wrong but i immediately think "repo". For a $110k car, why wouldn't an owner or dealer buy a second key for $450 or whatever?
The one photo looks look like All Season tires to me, which seems strange for a low mileage GT4. Why would u want to drive a GT4 in cold weather? It seems strange to me.
This car would be worth more as a CPO. The final eBay bid of $90.4k (reserve not met) was not impressive.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The one photo looks look like All Season tires to me, which seems strange for a low mileage GT4. Why would u want to drive a GT4 in cold weather? It seems strange to me.
Ding, ding, ding - winner. Why would you put all seasons on a GT4? Oh the humanity!
Sport Cup 2s are supposed to be a gumball qualifying tire, but you'd think they'd last more than 3300 mi.

I missed the 2 key part. Guess I was so confused by the tires.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Local dealer is selling a stripper track used 89k MSRP silver gt4 for 110k... It has film and obvious rock impacts. The door panels are more warped than my replacements too.

i suppose there is always a fool with money to burn.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
There's no reason a stock GT4 couldn't be driven in winter...and with proper winter tires would be fine on icy and snow-covered roads. The Porsche NA flat sixes really like cold outside air.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just looked at the Porsche Car Locator. There's 29 GT4's and. 5 Spyders for sale.

Ive been occasionally looking at that site as I maybe looking to sell my GTS and switch to a GT4.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Saw a gorgeous Red GT4 advertised in the past few days with nearly all options, MSRP of $100+k, asking $105k. Very low mileage and he claimed no track use whatsoever. It had many options including LWBS and all that gorgeous Red stitching all over that Black leather interior. Seemed a very reasonable asking price...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Saw a gorgeous Red GT4 advertised in the past few days with nearly all options, MSRP of $100+k, asking $105k. Very low mileage and he claimed no track use whatsoever. It had many options including LWBS and all that gorgeous Red stitching all over that Black leather interior. Seemed a very reasonable asking price...
Relative to the current market, I certainly agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I wonder what the transmission issues with 3rd gear on tracked GT4s will do to GT4 prices overall? Could that issue and the long delays in getting the transmission fixed / replaced, and perhaps reports of some front strut failures, be partially responsible for some price drops in the resale of GT4s?

·
Registered
231 Posts
when the new gt4 rs comes out say good bye to about 10k to 20 k on current gt4's

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wonder what the transmission issues with 3rd gear on tracked GT4s will do to GT4 prices overall? Could that issue and the long delays in getting the transmission fixed / replaced, and perhaps reports of some front strut failures, be partially responsible for some price drops in the resale of GT4s?
So I have been trying to find more info on this issue. Does anyone know if Porsche will do a recall? From my understanding they are covering this under warranty.

·
Registered
751 Posts
when the new gt4 rs comes out say good bye to about 10k to 20 k on current gt4's
Not necessarily true as a GT4RS would have a higher starting price than the GT4. Porsche has been consistently slowly increasing the base price across all their models which somewhat helps with depreciation of the previous models.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
So I have been trying to find more info on this issue. Does anyone know if Porsche will do a recall? From my understanding they are covering this under warranty.
The conversations on Rennlist are all over the place on what Porsche might do about the transmission problems with 3rd gear. (Here is a RL link to one of the threads: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure - Rennlist Discussion Forums). The problems are being repaired under warranty. It appears the problems might be isolated to specific manufacturing dates (March-June 2016) but there are repeated reports from GT4 owners of the repairs/replacements taking months to complete, given a shortage of spare transmissions. Given VW's emissiongate, I would think they would be jumping through hoops to get these transmissions back in service but that doesn't appear to be the case. No word on a recall, nor it seems, much hope for one.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I wouldn't expect a recall on the 3rd gear issues since there's not a safety concern. It's an inconvenience and cost (loss of track time) for those flogging the GT4. Same reason there's not going to be a recall on the 991 GT3 E/F engines. The cam wear isn't a safety issue just reduced power due to the misfires and again inconvenience/ cost. The stop sale and recall on the first batch of 991 GT3 E engines was different due to the risk of fire. No issues with trans or strut mounts on mine so far but only about 1000 track miles to date. I'm also not getting as aggressive on the curbs at COTA as some drivers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The conversations on Rennlist are all over the place on what Porsche might do about the transmission problems with 3rd gear. (Here is a RL link to one of the threads: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure - Rennlist Discussion Forums). It appears the problems might be isolated to specific manufacturing dates (March-June 2016) but there are repeated reports from GT4 owners of the repairs/replacements taking months to complete. Given VW's emissiongate, I would think they would be jumping through hoops to get these transmissions back in service but that doesn't appear to be the case. No word on a recall, nor it seems, much hope for one.
Not saying you are wrong, but is there any chance you meant "2015" instead of "2016"? I was under the impression that the problem was most common with earlier production cars.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just noticed a gentleman in the Panorama classifieds who indicates he might be willing to part with his GT4 for a mere $150 k. Is that "flipping" or "ripping" as in "off"?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Not saying you are wrong, but is there any chance you meant "2015" instead of "2016"? I was under the impression that the problem was most common with earlier production cars.

Yes, sorry about that typo, it should be 2015 indeed and I corrected that on my earlier post :thanks:

OOPS, no the production range is March thru early June 2016 after all.

Reactions: cobby

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Sorry to correct you, but I've been following the GT4 3rd gear failure threads on Rennlist and it is fact late production cars that show this problem. It has been isolated to cars manufactured after Feb 2016 (March through May when production ceased or thereabouts.)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts