Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Can't say that I like sound of that, though, since my car's original delivery was 8/15. I am not changing this because I deserve to look like an idiot. Just realized my build date was a good thing instead of bad.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
The conversations on Rennlist are all over the place on what Porsche might do about the transmission problems with 3rd gear. (Here is a RL link to one of the threads: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure - Rennlist Discussion Forums). It appears the problems might be isolated to specific manufacturing dates (March-June 2015) but there are repeated reports from GT4 owners of the repairs/replacements taking months to complete. Given VW's emissiongate, I would think they would be jumping through hoops to get these transmissions back in service but that doesn't appear to be the case. No word on a recall, nor it seems, much hope for one.
Sorry forum readers - It looks like the transmission problem are indeed 2016 production dates- March - May, and there is a Rennlist data base collecting specifics so it should be more definitive soon.

As someone interested in a used GT4 when (and IF) they drop to a price range I can afford, the transmission issue is a game changer. Is it the Gt4's IMS? I hope not.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My apologies. I really screwed things up. The next time I see something that I think is incorrect, I will simply assume that it is I who is wrong. Though I don't deserve it, the silver lining here for me is that my car was actually built in 7/15. Again, please pardon my error.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Actually the problem in track use is that many don't understand the need to move the seat forward a bit to make sure the clutch is fully engaged. G forces and stresses are heavy, and drivers tend to shove themselves further back into the seat than in street driving.
I should also mention that, when I was up in Chicago this past summer I saw the same GT4 in the shop twice for a transmission replacement.
One thing I notice that could hurt some future GT4 resales - more and more are popping up FSBO and at non-Porsche dealerships where no CPO is possible. It won't be long b4 this mode of sale results in lower prices, because many GT4 buyers won't want one without a substantial warranty...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually the problem in track use is that many don't understand the need to move the seat forward a bit to make sure the clutch is fully engaged. G forces and stresses are heavy, and drivers tend to shove themselves further back into the seat than in street driving.
I should also mention that, when I was up in Chicago this past summer I saw the same GT4 in the shop twice for a transmission replacement.
One thing I notice that could hurt some future GT4 resales - more and more are popping up FSBO and at non-Porsche dealerships where no CPO is possible. It won't be long b4 this mode of sale results in lower prices, because many GT4 buyers won't want one without a substantial warranty...
Can 't help but wonder if the overrev boogieman is at work here. Porsche won't certify anything above level 3, despite a nanosecond duration and dealers are reluctant even to wholesale a vehicle whose engine warranty has not expired on paper but is voided by overrevs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Never an over-rev issue in my 911, per my ECU reports. I have noticed this effect even in hard street use. When pushing the limits, u should move the seat forward a bit to make sure clutch completely disengages. A natural instinct is to push ones tush back into the seat. This leaves the clutch less than fully disengaged.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Never an over-rev issue in my 911, per my ECU reports. I have noticed this effect even in hard street use. When pushing the limits, u should move the seat forward a bit to make sure clutch completely disengages. A natural instinct is to push ones tush back into the seat. This leaves the clutch less than fully disengaged.
Not referring to you, sorry. Just meant that cars with reported overrevs are getting the hands off treatment so uniformly with dealers--Don't ask how I know--that this could explain some of the FSBO's and Indy dealer cars.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Not referring to you, sorry. Just meant that cars with reported overrevs are getting the hands off treatment so uniformly with dealers--Don't ask how I know--that this could explain some of the FSBO's and Indy dealer cars.
One thing I learned from my SA, who was a Porsche Tech at that dealership for many years - there are certain over-revs on the ECU report which can be an issue for immediate CPO, but if the engine can go another 80 hours with no issues, (I'm pretty sure that was the number of operating hours), the dealer is then allowed to CPO it bcause those over-revs have proven to Porsche's satisfaction to be non-fatal events.

·
Registered
564 Posts
One thing I learned from my SA, who was a Porsche Tech at that dealership for many years - there are certain over-revs on the ECU report which can be an issue for immediate CPO, but if the engine can go another 80 hours with no issues, (I'm pretty sure that was the number of operating hours), the dealer is then allowed to CPO it bcause those over-revs have proven to Porsche's satisfaction to be non-fatal events.
I have heard of that principle, here and elsewhere, and that may well be a Porsche policy as well. All I know is that I heard the same spiel, verbatim, from two separate dealers to the effect that not only can they not CPO a car with revs past Level 3, regardless of how infinitesimal, but they .can't even sell it retail. This is because the customer, seeing the factory warranty, will assume his engine will be covered, and naturally come back to them if something happens and he discovers it isn't. I personally think this is an overreaction if not so mere guise on Porsche's part, but it leaves owners of the affected cars with fewer options for selling them. I may be exaggerating the potential impact of this, for sure.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I certainly agree with you about clutch operation and seating position at the track, I don't think the "third gear" issue with the track drivers on Rennlist can be linked to clutch operation or seating position. From the thread is appears the actual third gear was not built to the expected standards. What is making the issue more noteworthy is that Porsche is repairing the problem with new transmissions, but there are few available transmissions available. And because dealers are not opening the replacement transmissions when they arrive, no one knows if the "third gear issue" has actually been repaired in the replacement transmission. I believe I read recently that some repairs were taking up to 90 days. Here is the rather sobering thread: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure - Rennlist Discussion Forums

·
Registered
564 Posts
In the course of researching for a Diminished Value claim, I checked the locator. If demand for the GT4 is falling, here are 22 dealers who apparently haven't picked up on it yet. Link works despite the message.

ERROR

·
Registered
897 Posts
In the course of researching for a Diminished Value claim, I checked the locator. If demand for the GT4 is falling, here are 22 dealers who apparently haven't picked up on it yet. Link works despite the message
ERROR
FYI the link doesn't work. For some reason whenever I post a link to the Porsche Pre Owned Locator on P-9 it does the same thing.

Anyway I keep tabs on that site as I'm feeling the urge to switch my CGTS up to a GT4 or a Spyder.

This one keeps catching my eye based on the price plus it's local to me. I can't understand why it hasn't sold at that price. The only reason I haven't persued it is the mileage is a lil bit high for my tastes.

FS: 2016 Guards Red GT4 // LWB // XPEL - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Here's one that's not even broken in yet - barely over a 1000 miles.

PTS 2016 GT4 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

·
Registered
564 Posts
FYI the link doesn't work. For some reason whenever I post a link to the Porsche Pre Owned Locator on P-9 it does the same thing.

Anyway I keep tabs on that site as I'm feeling the urge to switch my CGTS up to a GT4 or a Spyder.

This one keeps catching my eye based on the price plus it's local to me. I can't understand why it hasn't sold at that price. The only reason I haven't persued it is the mileage is a lil bit high for my tastes.

FS: 2016 Guards Red GT4 // LWB // XPEL - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Here's one that's not even broken in yet - barely over a 1000 miles.

PTS 2016 GT4 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Sorry about the link. The first car is the cheapest I have seen for a while. 8000 NYC miles is a lot. The range on the 22 above was roughly $105k to an utterly nuts $139k. Even with some "come down" built in that's pretty high dollar. One ATL dealer sold one new at $91.5, reacquired it and sold it at $108.5.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts