Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bumper cover is damaged beyond repair from a track incident and needs to be replaced. I thought about doing a GT4 front bumper conversion to get the larger front spoiler and obviously more aggressive look but OEM parts are pretty expensive. ESC has an aftermarket GT4 conversion kit that is advertised as bolt-on which, yea I know, is typically not the case. Wondering if anyone knows anything about this kit. It would only be a few hundred more than a stock OEM bumper, spoiler, and lower lip. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/13-16-981-cayman-boxster-gt4-front-bumper-conversion-kit/0ecs981gt4ft/ . They have it on sale right now so it is very tempting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm interested as well. I was going to go the OEM route but is too expensive even with a used bumper.

It reminds me of the ads on eBay though or even the ones on alibaba that I've looked at before.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Be careful with these, as you may end up with front sitting too low making the car look really cool but not practical to drive. I would check car-part.com for a low-priced salvaged bumper ...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just for your interest, I compared the images on ECS tuning's site to those on [email protected] and found a remarkable similarity to [email protected] sellers from Taiwan. Considering the free shipping and the LED DRLs included, the ECS price is great. The bumper cover materials are not listed and who knows how long it will last.

V6

·
Registered
84 Posts
If that's the case, the NRAuto bumper might be better. It's the same price and is supposed to be made in the USA. Otherwise, the ECS tuning bumper is good as it's currently on sale at a discount of 22%.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the bumper material is polyurethane, I'd take that over any fiberglass construction...
After two calls and an email earlier last week I never received an answer from ESC on what the bumper is made of, my guess is they have no idea. I decided to stick with the OEM bumper for a few reasons. I am adding a third radiator and had no idea how it would match up to the GT4 bumper kit. Adding front aero without rear aero would probably not be a great choice for track work as I am not ready to do anything on the rear end right now. Last was a lingering fear of an inferior bumper that would not last.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,651 Posts
After two calls and an email earlier last week I never received an answer from ESC on what the bumper is made of, my guess is they have no idea. I decided to stick with the OEM bumper for a few reasons. I am adding a third radiator and had no idea how it would match up to the GT4 bumper kit. Adding front aero without rear aero would probably not be a great choice for track work as I am not ready to do anything on the rear end right now. Last was a lingering fear of an inferior bumper that would not last.
Wise choice, IMO, for the reasons you've posted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
just got my Boxster S back from Turo Rental with front bumper damage and I have the same dilemma already on my plate. I love the Gt4 bumper and was thinking about the NR bumper but then since I do track the car I am also concerned about the aero disturbance. Although the spyders dont have a large wing so im thinking if the ducktail and a good diffuser would do the trick.

OEM base/S bumper cover seems to be only around $800 (my trim/plastics etc are all in good condition and can be transferred over). The GTS or GT4 bumpers are much more plus would need all the accessories, plastics and DRLs. Tough choice but I said I would do this before I even got the car...….hmmm its now or never lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts