Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace front bumper on 2014 Cayman S. A friend suggested trying to enhance it by using a GT4 front bumper. Anyone know whether this is physically possible...and approximate cost (as compared with Cayman S bumper)?

if doing front bumper, is doing the rear required...or simply a good idea....or totally optional?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Need to replace front bumper on 2014 Cayman S. A friend suggested trying to enhance it by using a GT4 front bumper. Anyone know whether this is physically possible...and approximate cost (as compared with Cayman S bumper)?

if doing front bumper, is doing the rear required...or simply a good idea....or totally optional?
Thanks so much!
the fitment issue aside, I personally wouldn't do it. The wider front bumper look would need the smaller fender gap/lower stance, big wing, a meatier rear bumper and the bigger brakes to look good. Just my opinion ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
.I have a cayman 981 s bumper with Techart splitter for sale. A women reversed into me and cracked part of the splitter in 2 places. One part can be replaced at the cost of £200 and the other is a tiny crack in the fibre glass which can be easily repaired. It also has an air outlet I.e. Gt3 style and central vent surround. I find out exactly which bits are being replaced for new tomorrow but I know they've ordered at least the splitter and bumper. The dots on the splitter are dead flies but there is some stone chips on the splitter and bumper paint work.

http://i.imgur.com/zYoZfR9.png
http://i.imgur.com/csEBuFt.png
http://i.imgur.com/Djkui3I.png

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I am interested in doing this. Has anyone out there tried it? My tech will be removing the bumper from a GT4 soon in order to install a radar detector and when the bumper cover is off, we plan on taking measurements to see if the GT4 bumper will fit the 981S. I have several reasons for wanting to do this. More downforce, larger center radiator, and the look is pretty good too.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Does that mean it fits, but it is 5x the cost or that it would take a lot of modification ( and still 5x the cost)?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My friend in Kazachstan have done this. Trimming is required for some details inside, but I don't know exactly how its done. In one word - its possible.
aa56bcas-480.jpg ba56bcas-480.jpg
8556bcas-960.jpg 9556bcas-960.jpg

Reactions: 2nd Chance

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Thank you GrandTourer for that info. I'm looking into the cost. We would expect some minor trimming on the interior pieces. The main issue is whether the bumper cover fits. The rest is doable.
Whether its worth it to someone is highly subjective. On the basis of looks alone, maybe not. But I am more interested in the aero effect, plus even better cooling. Porsche does a real good job designing aero on their cars. Aftermarket splitters are still not readily available for the 981 cars, and those that are, aren't cheap or particularly well made. Often, in order to be strong and stable, they have to be secured to the bumper cover, which means that if the splitter gets ripped off, then severe damage is likely to the bumper cover as well. Now, instead of $500 - $1000 repair bill, you're looking at something considerable more. The splitter on the GT4 is designed in such a way that if some damage occurs, you only have to replace the plastic splitter instead of the entire bumper.
Venting the center radiator up with properly designed ducting, also adds to downforce.
Plus, it just looks right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally I would not swap my already perfect GTS bumper for GT4. But S bumper swap is more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Reactions: GrandTourer

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
If I had a GTS, it would be more difficult for me as well to pull the trigger on a swap. The GTS looks great!. But I am also looking for more downforce which is what the Motorsports versions offer.

Personally I would not swap my already perfect GTS bumper for GT4. But S bumper swap is more reasonable.

·
Registered
534 Posts
7K + paint + labor + incidentals + depreciation hit on your car... At that point you might as well sell your car and buy a Spyder. At least then you'd get the rest of the aero kit, the bigger engine, and all of the other goodies that come along with it.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I agree... the increased down force mentioned is for the front -- but without the "wing" on the rear, I'd think that the balance would be off. The one thing that I've learned about Porsche engineering is that it is a "holistic" approach.. the whole "package" needs to be there or else something else will be non-optimal. Just my opinion.
D

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I agree... the increased down force mentioned is for the front -- but without the "wing" on the rear, I'd think that the balance would be off. The one thing that I've learned about Porsche engineering is that it is a "holistic" approach.. the whole "package" needs to be there or else something else will be non-optimal. Just my opinion.
D
Exactly. That's why I need to find a good front end to balance this:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

Thanks so much!
Certainly possible, AFAIK the GT4/Spyder bumper are the same, only the lower/side lip trim is different. The only difference on the rear is the diffusor, and the Spoiler(s), I am sure that technically the spoiler size is designed to aerodynamically interact with the front, but I wouldn't know at what speed this becomes a real issue. not a city speeds or possibly at normal highway speeds, at 200+ KM/H probably.

There are literally dozens of screws and pieces to do it right as it comes from the factory. Cost is not bad, depends on if the paint and R&R are being covered as you did mention "...need to replace front bumper...), if this is covered I am seeing less then 1/2 what Lemon estimated.

I will let you know how it turns out! ;)

1 - 20 of 273 Posts