Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nope, they literally slide right out. Obviously, I'm assuming they are using the OE washer retainer plate.
This thread has been very helpful as I’m about to jump into this swap: this may be a moot question once I get my stock cover off, but I’ll ask for now anyway: Is there a trick to removing the stock headlight washer pumps and jets from the stock bumper and swapping them onto the GT4 bumper, or will it be straightforward and self-explanatory once I see it for myself? FWIW, I’m using a DarwinPro bumper, not the OEM pieces, so I’m aware there will be some concessions and fabrication/improvisation for things to bolt up and connect here and there... Thanks! Jeremy

·
Registered
201 Posts
The New bumper has no mounting equipment attached from the manufacturer. I will be transferring everything that I can or need to

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I decided to delete my AC so there are a couple of AC lines that are unique to the GT4 setup that are different. I have those lines available that I can sell for a lot less money than what the dealership will charge.
i also have the center GT4 radiator which is still in very good shape. I decided to replace all my radiators with high-efficiency types.
PM if interested.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Project Complete!

So, after 6 months of acquiring parts, repairs, paint and assembly I have finally put this project to bed.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the outcome and how well everything went together. In hindsight, I probably would have went with a higher end paint shop, but the basalt black was pretty forgiving. All work was performed by me except for the painting.

In the end, this was just a cosmetic job and my purpose was not to create more downforce, cooling or anything performance related. Aesthetically, the car just looks "right" now. Of course I have to give thanks to Westcoaster for his experience, help and assistance for those times I was stuck. Also a shout out to getporscheparts.com, as I order 90% of my parts from them. Their prices were unbeatable and they never charged me extra for the large pieces such as the fender liners.

I've not tallied all the costs, but I'm quite a bit less than others due to the used Spyder bumper and not having to address the cooling system and 3rd radiator. I can't really say the end result was worth the cost, but this was more of a project I wanted to tackle and I feel rewarded by the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's sooooo nice. I still need to get my bumper shipped. Do you live in an area where you don't need a front plate? Just wondering if you swapped out the crash bar too for the GT4 to line up the tow hook and the hole for it on the bumper?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's sooooo nice. I still need to get my bumper shipped. Do you live in an area where you don't need a front plate? Just wondering if you swapped out the crash bar too for the GT4 to line up the tow hook and the hole for it on the bumper?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I live in GA, and like many other states in the south, no front plate is required.

In regards to the crash bar, no....I did not replace. With the Spyder front bumper cover, the tow hook hole aligns correctly with the bumper hole. Upon assembly, trimming was required to the foam piece due to the upper vent. However, once the majority of the bumper was installed, I forgot the re-install the foam so I just left it out.

As a side note, I did notice that the low horn (passenger side) was no longer functioning. Instead of paying for the $90 Porsche replacement, I found a very similar one for Mini/BMW that come with the correct connector. Best part, only 18 bucks!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Project Complete!

So, after 6 months of acquiring parts, repairs, paint and assembly I have finally put this project to bed.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the outcome and how well everything went together. In hindsight, I probably would have went with a higher end paint shop, but the basalt black was pretty forgiving. All work was performed by me except for the painting.

In the end, this was just a cosmetic job and my purpose was not to create more downforce, cooling or anything performance related. Aesthetically, the car just looks "right" now. Of course I have to give thanks to Westcoaster for his experience, help and assistance for those times I was stuck. Also a shout out to getporscheparts.com, as I order 90% of my parts from them. Their prices were unbeatable and they never charged me extra for the large pieces such as the fender liners.

I've not tallied all the costs, but I'm quite a bit less than others due to the used Spyder bumper and not having to address the cooling system and 3rd radiator. I can't really say the end result was worth the cost, but this was more of a project I wanted to tackle and I feel rewarded by the work.
Great job, more refined and somehow tougher looking at the same time!

I see by the last two photos that you are already giving just a bit more room to those unforgiving parking stops/curbs, also watch out for the entry/exit to parking lots from the street, that front end gets there a whole lot sooner then the wheels! ;)

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
Project Complete!

It does look stunning! What's next? :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks!

Up next......tires? Of course then the question becomes if I buy new tires, wouldn't that be the time to buy new wheels? :)

Other than that, I'd like to do some interior work such as the Carplay mod or some alcantera accents.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
Thanks!

Up next......tires? Of course then the question becomes if I buy new tires, wouldn't that be the time to buy new wheels? :)

Other than that, I'd like to do some interior work such as the Carplay mod or some alcantera accents.
If doing carplay mod - just throw away factory PCM junk and install nice aftermarket Pioneer. Easier,cheaper and more features. There are a few threads here about it. That's what I'm doing this winter!

Dark wheels will look work. But then I'm partial to all-black color scheme...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Project Complete!

That looks great! I'm also in GA over in Hamilton Mill. I used to live just off Haynes Bridge Rd in Alpha.

·
Registered
115 Posts
T-Design
I'm still interested in hearing more feedback with the CarPlay addition to the existing CDR. If that can be done for around $500, then I may just go with that. As for wheels, I am considering black. Are your wheels gloss black or something else? My car is actually basalt black, so it looks totally different in direct sunlight.

Flatsickx
Thanks! Years ago we used to live in Flowery Branch, now just north of downtown Alpharetta off Hopewell.....let me know if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the parts (thanks for the list Art!). Could someone please share any assembly instructions or documentation. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Some parts are very clear how to put togethers while others left me puzzled. The best source of information I could find so far is Scuderia's parts finder (e.g. https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/porsche/cayman/oe/360/2369/45243).

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the parts (thanks for the list Art!). Could someone please share any assembly instructions or documentation. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Some parts are very clear how to put togethers while others left me puzzled. The best source of information I could find so far is Scuderia's parts finder (e.g. https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/porsche/cayman/oe/360/2369/45243).
I think that it is best that you take your time and use the parts page graphics as a guide, you haven't said what car you are doing, although they are similar there are differences between the Cayman and the Boxster... Additionally you haven't mentioned the scope of the project either, all in, or only some of the parts... There can be so many questions and processes described and some might not apply to your situation, so it is probably best to simply come back and ask when you have a question.

AFAIK there is no definitive guide because of all of these variables, so a particular process shared may tend to cloud the process and mislead you as what you need for your application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that it is best that you take your time and use the parts page graphics as a guide, you haven't said what car you are doing, although they are similar there are differences between the Cayman and the Boxster... Additionally you haven't mentioned the scope of the project either, all in, or only some of the parts... There can be so many questions and processes described and some might not apply to your situation, so it is probably best to simply come back and ask when you have a question.

AFAIK there is no definitive guide because of all of these variables, so a particular process shared may tend to cloud the process and mislead you as what you need for your application.
You are right. I should have given more information. I'm working on a Cayman S. The goal is to do a full GT4 aero conversion. I decided to go with an aftermarket replica of the rear end and a full OE front end (no center rad yet). The rear end is done, it was very straightforward. Now working on the front. Here are the questions so far:

1. Recommended order of assembly.
2. How to get the bumper, underbody protection and front spoiler together. Can't figure out how do speed nuts and bolts are attached.
3. Will I really need 000.043.300.47 / 000.043.300.48 to transfer headlight washers from my current bumper?
4. What would you recommend the sequence of events to be between assembling the bumper and having it painted. I don't want to assemble everything before painting as it will require masking and cause overspray. On the other hand just painting the bumper ahead of time may make things more difficult to assemble and cause damage to the paint. Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
From what I recall, all the parts went together easily and was pretty obvious once you have the parts in front of you. Obviously (like I did) you will want to have the bumper painted first then start adding on the accessories. I believe I installed all the outer frames first, fitted the mesh grilles, then put in the inner frames last using the u-clamps. From there I then installed the daytime running lights then the adhesive parts (tow hook cover, headlight washer retainers and upper grille) and saved the lip spoiler and uprights for last.

I took this as an entire unit and installed it on the car. Once on the car, I finished up with the lower underbody panel in conjunction with the GT4/Spyder inner fender well liners. Don't forget to spend a few bucks more and get the GT4 radiator surrounds for the best fit.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
You are right. I should have given more information. I'm working on a Cayman S. The goal is to do a full GT4 aero conversion. I decided to go with an aftermarket replica of the rear end and a full OE front end (no center rad yet). The rear end is done, it was very straightforward. Now working on the front. Here are the questions so far:

1. Recommended order of assembly.
2. How to get the bumper, underbody protection and front spoiler together. Can't figure out how do speed nuts and bolts are attached.
3. Will I really need 000.043.300.47 / 000.043.300.48 to transfer headlight washers from my current bumper?
4. What would you recommend the sequence of events to be between assembling the bumper and having it painted. I don't want to assemble everything before painting as it will require masking and cause overspray. On the other hand just painting the bumper ahead of time may make things more difficult to assemble and cause damage to the paint. Any advice?

Thanks!

Sorry for some reason I didn't get notified of this updated post...

1. As jsm987 suggests, get the bumper painted, add all parts then attach to the car
  2. Speed nuts and bolts generally have a second half that are slipped into place, is that your question?
  3. regarding parts 000.043.300.47/48, the parts lookup didn't provide any real information, if these are the adhesive mounts for the headlight washers I would say yes, removing the originals will likely damage them beyond use.
  4. see number 1 above...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I've been a long time viewer but this is my first post on this forum. I came across a used GT4 bumper on eBay with factory racing yellow and clean bra already installed for $500 so decided to do the GT4 conversion. Since I recently spent quite a bit on modifications (wheels, 718/GT4 steering wheel, exhaust and DSC unit) I decided to do the swap with the least amount of "GT4" parts as possible. I work on my car myself and search information on what exactly was needed but could find much. So I will post pictures and information to help someone who wants to do the same.
Parts I acquired:
1. OEM GT4 bumper on Ebay
2. Used OEM inner/outer grilles and mesh from Justin at Rennsport one. part # 981 505 569 80, 981 505 571 80, 981 505 711 80, 991 505 567 90-!E0, 991 505 717 92, 981 505 562 80, 981 505 561 80, 981 505 566 80, 981 505 565 80, 981 505 563 80, 981 505 564 80, 981 505 713 80, 981 505 714 80, 981 612 591 03, 981 612 592 03
3. NEW OEM front lip spoiler and side molding from getPorscheParts.com 981-505-525-80-1E0, 981-505-527-80-1E0, 981-505-528-80-1E0
4. Ordered but still not installed OEM cover 981-504-601-80

Removal of the front bumper is fairly easy, I followed Schnell Auto instructions and also pulled the headlights. I attached pictures of the GT4 bumper installed showing what the top opening shows with the mesh installed (AC lines, bumper reinforcement bar and impact foam). I painted the reinforcement bar black and cut away the upper portion of the foam to reduce their appearance. Since my cayman is yellow and I wasn't going to install a center radiator, I plastidipped the front section and hide the the wiring behind the sheetmetal where the hood latch attaches to. I had to trim a small section of the fender liners so it was about to sit flush with the bumper (see pictures) the bottom holes lined up and drilled a new hole for the upper one. The radiator air ducts mostly line up with the GT4 bumper except on the outer corners. I trimmed a section since the GT4 inner grill trim was hitting. Everything else was straight forward swap. Some may disagree with what I did but I can always remove the plastidip and buy GT4 radiator ducts/liners down the road. I do plan on adding a third radiator but not in the near future. I'm happy to email more pictures to others who are doing the swap.

Attachments

221 - 240 of 275 Posts