Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks great! What a true score finding it already painted in your factory color.

I, as well, did not add the 3rd radiator and painted the tub portion black in front of the lower center opening. As for the upper vent, I painted the ac lines black (in addition to the bumper reinforcement bar) and left out the foam pad entirely. This gave a little better look when viewing from the top. To save a little bit of money (more like $700), I fabricated the mesh inserts with a very similar diamond patter for a total of 15 bucks. I would go ahead and recommend the OEM radiator air ducts, as they where one of the least expensive pieces for only around $50.

Overall, a very satisfying project. I found it was the little bits that ran up the tab, but would totally do it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks great! What a true score finding it already painted in your factory color.

I, as well, did not add the 3rd radiator and painted the tub portion black in front of the lower center opening. As for the upper vent, I painted the ac lines black (in addition to the bumper reinforcement bar) and left out the foam pad entirely. This gave a little better look when viewing from the top. To save a little bit of money (more like $700), I fabricated the mesh inserts with a very similar diamond patter for a total of 15 bucks. I would go ahead and recommend the OEM radiator air ducts, as they where one of the least expensive pieces for only around $50.

Overall, a very satisfying project. I found it was the little bits that ran up the tab, but would totally do it again.
Yea, The OEM mesh is WAY over priced. I would of fabricated the mesh inserts if I didn't find the used set from Justin. That will definitely save you some $$. Totally agree, the little bits add up quick. I'll eventually order the OEM side radiator ducts when I do the third radiator but for now I'm happy with the result. Changes the look of the car completely!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have trouble lining up the front undertray? I have an oem gt4 undertray and front bumper but after bolting the 3 bolts to the chassis, I can’t get the holes on the front to line up with the bumper.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Anyone have trouble lining up the front undertray? I have an oem gt4 undertray and front bumper but after bolting the 3 bolts to the chassis, I can’t get the holes on the front to line up with the bumper.
We come to the forum, a 981S? Cayman or Spyder? A picture would be very helpful...

With the correct bumper/tray and front inner fender liners everything will bolt in, do you have all of these, what is the part number of the tray?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I did take apart mine 4 times and put it back and never had an issue. This was with floor jack and no lift. Share some more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
981 cayman s. Part number is 98150460180. Will get some pics later. It’s off by a couple of mm. I don’t have the front inner liners and as expected those don’t line up with the tray. My main issue is with the tray and the front bumper.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
981 cayman s. Part number is 98150460180. Will get some pics later. It’s off by a couple of mm. I don’t have the front inner liners and as expected those don’t line up with the tray. My main issue is with the tray and the front bumper.
That is the same part number I used... not to knit-pick but " a couple of mm" is not out by much, I found the best way to install these parts was to install the bolts but leave them loose so everything can be moved into position, then go back and snug them up.

I regularly take this all apart to clean the center radiator and front condensers, never had a problem with the method I describe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm trying source parts to install a CSF third radiator and was wondering if you need all three center ducts from a GT4. part number...
981-575-141-80-1E0
991-504-487-91-1E0
991-504-489-90-1E0
Other threads have the parts list but for CS or BS but not GT4. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many thanks to the people who contributed to this thread! With all your help I finally finished my conversion project. It took way longer than I expected, but turned out great in the end. I went with a full OEM front end including the third radiator. In the back I installed a replica wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Many thanks to the people who contributed to this thread! With all your help I finally finished my conversion project. It took way longer than I expected, but turned out great in the end. I went with a full OEM front end including the third radiator. In the back I installed a replica wing.
Any issues with the rear wing mounts at high speed? Are these riveted to the hatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any issues with the rear wing mounts at high speed? Are these riveted to the hatch?
Yes, the wing is attached to the top surface of the hatch with blind rivets. The metal is relatively thin there and has a lot of flex. This results in the wing wobbling at high speed or on rough roads. I believe any wing riveted like this will have this issue (from $300 Chinese no-name clone to $1300 NRAuto to $2600 TWL Carbon). If I were to do it again I would go with either Getty Design or with a GT4 hatch swap + OEM wing mounts. For the time being I'm going to keep the current setup, but eventually will move to Verus Engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the wing is attached to the top surface of the hatch with blind rivets. The metal is relatively thin there and has a lot of flex. This results in the wing wobbling at high speed or on rough roads. I believe any wing riveted like this will have this issue (from $300 Chinese no-name clone to $1300 NRAuto to $2600 TWL Carbon). If I were to do it again I would go with either Getty Design or with a GT4 hatch swap + OEM wing mounts. For the time being I'm going to keep the current setup, but eventually will move to Verus Engineering.
I was afraid of that, I have the eBay wing and it didn’t seem too sturdy so I got lucky and got an oem wing w oem mounts, just need to find a oem gt4 hatch now. It seems like making an oem style mount from our cayman hatch is daunting task. I asked versus about their wing mounts and if they had plans to make a mount for the our normal cayman hatch and their response was that it would be too costly for them to engineer something when a gt4 hatch is already available.

150mph on a roval will surely rip the wing off if it was mounted to the top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was afraid of that, I have the eBay wing and it didn’t seem too sturdy so I got lucky and got an oem wing w oem mounts, just need to find a oem gt4 hatch now. It seems like making an oem style mount from our cayman hatch is daunting task. I asked versus about their wing mounts and if they had plans to make a mount for the our normal cayman hatch and their response was that it would be too costly for them to engineer something when a gt4 hatch is already available.

150mph on a roval will surely rip the wing off if it was mounted to the top.
I have always been wondering where people get deals like that? What are the chances of somebody selling an OEM wing with mounts for a non-OEM price?

My first track day with the new aero is coming up in 2 weeks. Will report back how it did at 120+mph :) There was a build by BGB using NRAuto wing and they said it's doing Okay. Will see.

I'm considering fabricating uprights that would go through the hatch and attach to the bottom surface. Metal there is much thicker and seems sturdier. Probably not worth the time, but I just like the process.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have always been wondering where people get deals like that? What are the chances of somebody selling an OEM wing with mounts for a non-OEM price?

My first track day with the new aero is coming up in 2 weeks. Will report back how it did at 120+mph :) There was a build by BGB using NRAuto wing and they said it's doing Okay. Will see.

I'm considering fabricating uprights that would go through the hatch and attach to the bottom surface. Metal there is much thicker and seems sturdier. Probably not worth the time, but I just like the process.
I had noticed that too but they just recently removed the NR wing for a Getty wing stating that they weren’t comfortable doing Daytona with the NR wing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
more pictures...
Yea, The OEM mesh is WAY over priced. I would of fabricated the mesh inserts if I didn't find the used set from Justin. That will definitely save you some $$. Totally agree, the little bits add up quick. I'll eventually order the OEM side radiator ducts when I do the third radiator but for now I'm happy with the result. Changes the look of the car completely!!
I did take apart mine 4 times and put it back and never had an issue. This was with floor jack and no lift. Share some more info.
Can any of you confirm that the GT4 bumper foam fits the CS/GTS Impact bar? Asking because the part numbers for the impact bar are different for the CS/GTS vs the GT4.

On the same topic, what purpose does this Bumper foam serve? Does it support the bumper in any way? Someone said the bumper might sag without the bumper foam? Any truth to that? Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The OE foam from the S (or base) model is a different shape than the GT4. I attempted to shave down the foam for it to fit, however it then required some adhesive or tape to remain in place. Upon installing I totally forgot to do this so I just left it out. I never saw any adverse affect with it not installed.

I would only suspect it's needed in case of a low impact collision. With the foam removed, I could guarantee that the sharp edges of the impact bar would cut through the bumper cover, probably destroying it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The OE foam from the S (or base) model is a different shape than the GT4. I attempted to shave down the foam for it to fit, however it then required some adhesive or tape to remain in place. Upon installing I totally forgot to do this so I just left it out. I never saw any adverse affect with it not installed.

I would only suspect it's needed in case of a low impact collision. With the foam removed, I could guarantee that the sharp edges of the impact bar would cut through the bumper cover, probably destroying it.
Thanks. I know they are of a different shape but my specific question was if the GT4 one fits the S/GTS impact bar because I am not sure if the aluminum impact bars are different as well. Thanks.

241 - 260 of 275 Posts