Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

GT4 Front Bumper Mesh Size?

11K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Tax Solutions 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone in here with a GT4 could take a picture similar to the one below.

Pattern Mesh Design Font Metal

I am trying to get an idea for the size of mesh used on the GT4 so I can do something similar to my GTS when it arrives. Thinking about buying a sheet of the stuff pictured (black powder coated aluminum $55), but want to make sure its fairly close.

Thanks,

JT

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a '15 GTS for which I ordered the Zunsport grilles in black. They look great, are very well made, fit great, and keep all the crap out of the radiator openings. There's at least one lengthy thread on here on the subject. I tried a couple of DIY solutions first, but nothing was satisfactory. Zunsport is the way to go. You might even get them cheaper than I did since Her Majesty's currency in the crapper right now and Zunsport is in the UK. Shipped fast also. I think there's a Planet 9 discount too,

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks, I read too many complaints about the fitment of the Zunsport grills and was unsure if I would have the same issues. However, most people only post when they have problems so thanks for the positive review maybe I will look into them again.

Original question still stands, if anyone has a GT4 and can take a close up of the mesh with a ruler or tape in front I would appreciate it.

#5 ·
For sure, the Zunsport grilles weren't a 5 minute install. I posted myself about some of the difficulty I had putting them in. However, I think most of that was just the inexperience of doing it for the first time, and the trepidation associated with not wanting to damage something on a brand new car, rather than an actual issue with the fitment. If I were installing them on a second car, I'm sure it would have taken me much less time. The instructions that come with them are good, but not perfect - watching a youtube video of the install first would be a big help if one exists. Having said all that, once you get them in, they really look great. It's hard to imagine a DIY solution that would look as good and/or hold up as well.

#4 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone in here with a GT4 could take a picture similar to the one below.

View attachment 81130

I am trying to get an idea for the size of mesh used on the GT4 so I can do something similar to my GTS when it arrives. Thinking about buying a sheet of the stuff pictured (black powder coated aluminum $55), but want to make sure its fairly close.

Thanks,

JT
I will see if I can get a good close up picture tomorrow, but I can say that the shape of the mesh is not hexagonal like your picture shows... more like diamond mesh.

#7 ·
Excellent thanks, was that 1/4 measured diagonally? or straight across.

#9 ·
Keep in mind that while the size of the opening is important, so is the type of material used. Flat mesh will result in far less efficient air flow than will wire mesh.
This is probably only important if you are driving on the track. Street use only, it likely won't matter.

#10 · (Edited)
Also things to consider is material. Aluminum mesh will most probably dent from any serious stone. With no real way to flatten it back. I'd suggest stainless steel.

This guy have nice quality mesh, I stopped at his office once. 1/4 stainless woven mesh in black looks the same as zunsport uses. If you get unpainted it'll be similar (but probably stronger) to that GT4 picture. I've seen unpainted one done on his blue corvette and it looks good.
customcargrills.com - Custom Car and Truck Grills - Mesh Grill Sheets and More!

#11 ·
Also things to consider is material. Aluminum mesh will most probably dent from any serious stone. With no real way to flatten it back. I'd suggest stainless steel.

This guy have nice quality mesh, I stopped at his office once. 1/4 stainless woven mesh in black looks the same as zunsport uses. If you get unpainted it'll be similar (but probably stronger) to that GT4 picture. I've seen unpainted one done on his blue corvette and it looks good.
customcargrills.com - Custom Car and Truck Grills - Mesh Grill Sheets and More!

Before the GT4 release I purchased a 991 GT3 grill to use as a material match since I am not a fan of my zunsport grills.

I was unable to find something close to the GT3 grill material in stainless.

I ended up buying the aluminum material from custom car grills.com. It is very close in appearance but raised at each section as opposed to flattened.

If someone finds matching stainless matl like the GT3 or GT4 please post the source!!

#12 ·
I'm not sure what material is used on the GT4 but I speculate it is plastic. I pressed on it at the NY Auto show this past weekend and it's quite soft. My guess is that it is plastic, and the weave is not particularly thick. Not sure how it will stand up to a significant stone. Having said that, my McLaren has a similar mesh covering the side air intakes; with 16k miles there's no sign of any damage, but the front grilles seems like they are more prone to a direct hit. I'd be curious to know if any GT4 owners, particularly those who have been on track, have had any damage to the mesh.

#18 · (Edited)
Was out for a drive today and struck a bird directly in the drivers side radiator opening mesh. The robin did not survive, but still succeeded in pushing in the entire lower half of the mesh. After cleaning out the bird, I wasn't sure how to get the mesh back in place. The mesh didn't appear to be damaged, just dislocated from the groove. It normally fits into a groove that runs around the entire perimeter of the opening. Since its metal, it's not particularly flexible and I didn't want to damage it by trying to pull it back into place. However, I came up with a repair solution that I thought I would share here in case it happens to someone else. I threaded a long shoelace several times through the mesh along the lower edge, about three holes from the bottom. Then I pulled the lace to make loops that I could pull with several fingers simultaneously. Sure enough, it pulled forward evenly and snapped back into the groove, almost simultaneously in all places. There was one small section that was still out of the groove, but I was able to set that correctly by pulling gently with needle nosed pliers. It looks good as new, and saved me a costly Porsche service visit. Automotive exterior Grille Vehicle Bumper Car

Reactions: trapper and K-Man S
#20 ·
Was out for a drive today and struck a bird directly in the drivers side radiator opening mesh. The robin did not survive, but still succeeded in pushing in the entire lower half of the mesh. After cleaning out the bird, I wasn't sure how to get the mesh back in place. The mesh didn't appear to be damaged, just dislocated from the groove. It normally fits into a groove that runs around the entire perimeter of the opening. Since its metal, it's not particularly flexible and I didn't want to damage it by trying to pull it back into place. However, I came up with a repair solution that I thought I would share here in case it happens to someone else. I threaded a long shoelace several times through the mesh along the lower edge, about three holes from the bottom. Then I pulled the lace to make loops that I could pull with several fingers simultaneously. Sure enough, it pulled forward evenly and snapped back into the groove, almost simultaneously in all places. There was one small section that was still out of the groove, but I was able to set that correctly by pulling gently with needle nosed pliers. It looks good as new, and saved me a costly Porsche service visit. View attachment 95513

Looks good!

FWIW, it is not really a groove, the mesh is sandwiched between two frames, the outer one that you see in your picture and an inner frame that holds the mesh in place. There are small screws spaced around the inner frame that hold it all together, the outer frame actually snaps into place on the bumper skin by way of male tabs around the opening that mate to female holes in the outer frame. The only way to take it all apart would be to remove the bumper cover and access it from behind...

So yes you save a great deal of time with your method!

#23 · (Edited)
I bought black metal gutter cover mesh at Menards for $3.07 per sheet and cut it to fit the side vents and the front radiator grills. (It took two sheets.) Instead of fitting it in front of the surrounding removable molding on the side vents, I first took them out, inserted the grill mesh, and replaced them. The removable side vent molding holds the mesh in place. One might have been able to insert the grill mesh behind the openings in the front bumper but, to avoid scratching the finish and insure better placement, I removed the bumper to attach the grill mesh with black zip ties. I think the uninitiated with believe it came from the factory that way. You can see the installed side grills in my image upload in my garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.