Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in pictures of the GT4 that the gear lever is shorter than on my standard Boxster then found articles that say the lever is 20mm shorter. I don't want to cut mine clearly but wonder if its possible to modify mine to what comes in the GT4 and if it will be a direct fit. Yes, probably a bit early to ask but maybe it will be clear later. Suncoast or Schnell to source from down the road?

If anyone comes across information on that, update the thread.

Porsche Cayman GT4 first drive review: early impressions of incredible new car | Evo

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I wonder on the install process. I'll be in touch when we start seeing the cars hit the ground...

·
Registered
747 Posts
When you shorten the shift lever you lose leverage. That means more effort and more a more notchey feel.remember the old Porsche factory short shift kits? I'll bet there's more to it than just a shorter shift lever. The smart money says they also reengineered the fulcrums on the linkage to mitigate the loss of leverage ...Carl

·
Registered
245 Posts
Preuninger said in one of his interviews that they did alter both the shifter itself and the other end of the linkage at the transmission. So I think carl44 is right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Preuninger said in one of his interviews that they did alter both the shifter itself and the other end of the linkage at the transmission. So I think carl44 is right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could just be the lever but I doubt it. Question in my mind is how did they manage to improve upon a shifter that I found pretty perfect from the first test drive.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
When you shorten the shift lever you lose leverage. That means more effort and more a more notchey feel.remember the old Porsche factory short shift kits? I'll bet there's more to it than just a shorter shift lever. The smart money says they also reengineered the fulcrums on the linkage to mitigate the loss of leverage ...Carl
Shortening the stick above the pivot reduces leverage and makes it a bit harder to move for the advantage of a shorter movement. It can also end up feeling rather joystick like and a awkward if it's overdone. Moving the pivot point can give more or less has the same effect while keeping the knob in the same place. Sometimes they do both.

My point is that changing the pivot point isn't to mitigate the loss of leverage. It's to shorten the necessary throw without shortening the stick as much. You still need more force to move it. That's the tradeoff.

It could just be the lever but I doubt it. Question in my mind is how did they manage to improve upon a shifter that I found pretty perfect from the first test drive.
I can't argue with this. I love the way my shifter feels and have felt no desire whatsoever for a change.

And if you want to enjoy it even more... go drive a manual Jeep Wrangler for a while and then go back to it. :D

Reactions: rjpeaks

·
Registered
966 Posts
I just read about the GT4 short shifter; I hope the part is a drop-in ... The Boxster shifter is good, but I do miss the S2000 shifter. The short shift kit could at least address the long throws on the Boxster, although I doubt it will improve the feel much...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts