1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ironically, rear visibility on the RS will probably be better. I'm also quite jealous of the orange color in the RS. GT4 color palette is boring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also quite jealous of the orange color in the RS.
Agreed - that orange is totally wow! It reminds me of my favorite crayon as a kid. :)

From the same show (Geneva)...Some good closeup GT4 pics and a write-up from Car & Driver here.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you ask me:

GT4 is a better track car. It's mid-engine (easier to drive), and it's cheaper to replace if you smash the car into the tire wall.

GT3 RS is a better bling car. It's the iconic 911 layout with crazy fast lap times and performance figures. But would more financially if some mishap happens.

I will spare the PDK vs manual debate here. But then, realistically, I would rather have a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 as bling and for collection. I would want to one of those away from the track (due to risks involved) and keep it as a collectible item. The GT4 (hopefully RS down the road) would be the car seeing real track duty.

Oh lord I'm dreaming ...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Using that logic, the new Mazda MX 5 is a better track car. IMHO, if you equate price with capability you are way off the mark.

If you ask me:

GT4 is a better track car. It's mid-engine (easier to drive), and it's cheaper to replace if you smash the car into the tire wall.

GT3 RS is a better bling car. It's the iconic 911 layout with crazy fast lap times and performance figures. But would more financially if some mishap happens.

I will spare the PDK vs manual debate here. But then, realistically, I would rather have a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 as bling and for collection. I would want to one of those away from the track (due to risks involved) and keep it as a collectible item. The GT4 (hopefully RS down the road) would be the car seeing real track duty.

Oh lord I'm dreaming ...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Using that logic, the new Mazda MX 5 is a better track car. IMHO, if you equate price with capability you are way off the mark.
I have never driven a GT4 or a GT3 RS, but I have tracked a 997 GT3 on many occasions. For those of us who have driven 911s for many years, driving a GT3 at the limits is no more challenging than any mid-engine car. As a matter of fact I had some problems getting accustomed to my 981S at the limits, because I was so accustomed to a 911's handling characteristics. For the novice driver however, I could see where a GT3 may be more challenging than a mid-engine 981S.

I was surprised at the assertion that a GT4 was a better track car than GT3 RS, but given the criterion - price, I would have to agree. The GT4 will be priced at about half the price of a GT3 RS. On the other hand I believe it would be more accurate to state that the GT4 provides the biggest bang for the buck, but clearly the GT3 RS will be a better performing track car or Porsche won't be selling many of them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Maybe I should refrain from using the word "better" as a whole, as I'm not referring to performance. I meant GT4 is a better value for money in relative terms. While a Miata would definitely be grossly cheaper than a GT4, the performance figures are also quite far off.

Purely judging on marketing figures, the GT4 is a pretty capable car and not light years behind the RS. The RS is undeniably a class or two above the GT4 when it comes to capability, but neither is the difference as wide as a Miata vs an RS. Clearly I'm making some assumptions of how the GT4 would turn out.

Perhaps my interaction with 911s have been limited to street driving only, and I always have this fear that having the engine hanging on the butt requires a higher level of driving skill than my car does. So yes, my comments above are based on my assessment of my own driving skills.

Anyway, this is all subjective, but financially speaking, I think GT4 hits a sweet spot in terms of price vs performance relative to what the RS could do at that price. Perhaps my financial conditions are more restraining than others, but I would feel relatively uncomfortable tracking a car like the RS due to its price. The GT4 would be much more reasonable for me in that department given the risks involved in tracking a car. So I'm referring to my own circumstances, and not the absolute difference in performance. I don't think there would even be the possibility that the GT4 would fare better vs the RS in benchmark tests.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I understand. Clearly the GT4 will, as said above, gives you more bang for the buck than the RS. At the price point it is a relative bargain (relative being the key term). In all seriousness, having owned a Miata, they are loads of fun to track and relatively cheap to run. I've also tracked 911's and think you do yourself a disservice if you think your capabilities and not up to the car. Any modern 911 is pretty manageable on the track and the advances in technology have made them easy to drive as long as one is somewhat prudent.

I visit HK quite a bit and am amazed at the variety of high end cars and, at least to me, what appears to be the relative lack of places to utilize them properly. Anyone who can drive in HK is a better driver than they think.

Maybe I should refrain from using the word "better" as a whole, as I'm not referring to performance. I meant GT4 is a better value for money in relative terms. While a Miata would definitely be grossly cheaper than a GT4, the performance figures are also quite far off.

Purely judging on marketing figures, the GT4 is a pretty capable car and not light years behind the RS. The RS is undeniably a class or two above the GT4 when it comes to capability, but neither is the difference as wide as a Miata vs an RS. Clearly I'm making some assumptions of how the GT4 would turn out.

Perhaps my interaction with 911s have been limited to street driving only, and I always have this fear that having the engine hanging on the butt requires a higher level of driving skill than my car does. So yes, my comments above are based on my assessment of my own driving skills.

Anyway, this is all subjective, but financially speaking, I think GT4 hits a sweet spot in terms of price vs performance relative to what the RS could do at that price. Perhaps my financial conditions are more restraining than others, but I would feel relatively uncomfortable tracking a car like the RS due to its price. The GT4 would be much more reasonable for me in that department given the risks involved in tracking a car. So I'm referring to my own circumstances, and not the absolute difference in performance. I don't think there would even be the possibility that the GT4 would fare better vs the RS in benchmark tests.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I really like the new aggressive styling of the 911GT3RS. I love the side vents and hood and roof lines. However, I prefer the more modest wing of the GT4 though. (i know I know, they are meant for track performance, not just aesthetics......:cheers:)

Both are absoultely gorgeous! If they mirrored all 911s with these vents and hood/roof lines the 911 would look less plain.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I meant GT4 is a better value for money in relative terms.
If you read what some people do, some will have a GT2RS (nm a GT3RS) as a toy cause they got 20 other cars, Ferrari, Lambo,etc.

To them, its not a better value because they would never consider it as anything other than a birthday gift for their kid's HS graduation.

My point is, it's all relative. And we should try to look at things from other's perspectives too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts