Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GT4 is going to be more limited than most think. If you do not get your allocation how much over MSRP would you be willing to pay? I think it is a great car at the perfect price point. I do not think a lot of people will be willing to pay over MSRP as the GT4 sits right below good used Supper Car $$.

·
Registered
180 Posts
$0.00 I would not pay over for any car. Porsche or not. Anything over will increase your loss upon sale. Irrespective of the "spin" they will be at or below MSRP within a short period of time as soon as the "must haves" have.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think I know 600 people in San Francisco with deposits on them. I literally had to rent a popcorn machine for this movie.

Reactions: pjsmooth1979

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a very hard time paying above MSRP when I know at least 50% of all GT4s will be purchased at MSRP in the first year.

Make that 100%. The GT4 will not sell for under MSRP (Unless you own the dealership) with waiting list a mile deep, no way Jose IMHO.
Max number of GT4 to the US 800 ( 600 is more like it ) minus the 200 or so for 918 buyers.

I paid full MSRP for 2 Ford Raptors and I made out very well on both. Anything over MSRP is to much of a risk, at least in my current tax bracket.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Were GT-3s discounted?
Possibly. I believe the GT3 buyers track that carefully and keep each other informed of dealers to avoid. However, the PCNA auctioned cars were sold, for the most part, at MSRP or HIGHER. I don't think anyone has figured out why other than some might have thought after the fires the salvaged titled cars might be more desirable, but that makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
If you don't have to be one of the first, you shouldn't have to consider anything over MSRP. I've never paid MSRP for a car, including the last three Porsches ($5K off, $12K off, $35K off) ... I'm willing to wait ...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Make that 100%. The GT4 will not sell for under MSRP (Unless you own the dealership) with waiting list a mile deep, no way Jose IMHO.
Max number of GT4 to the US 800 ( 600 is more like it ) minus the 200 or so for 918 buyers.

I paid full MSRP for 2 Ford Raptors and I made out very well on both. Anything over MSRP is to much of a risk, at least in my current tax bracket.
Ah. So are you just trying to gauge interest before buying your allocation and then trying to resell it for a profit?

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i think it comes down to demand OP.

i would also imagine most of us are in the same boat for tax purposes.

some more f-ed than us....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I said "at MSRP" not below.
We agree.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Don't be silly. Auctioned new cars for a non-profit organization are not what we are talking about here.
The purpose of this type of auction is to generate as much $ for the non-profit group(PCNA in this case) as possible.

Possibly. I believe the GT3 buyers track that carefully and keep each other informed of dealers to avoid. However, the PCNA auctioned cars were sold, for the most part, at MSRP or HIGHER. I don't think anyone has figured out why other than some might have thought after the fires the salvaged titled cars might be more desirable, but that makes no sense.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Don't be silly. Auctioned new cars for a non-profit organization are not what we are talking about here.
The purpose of this type of auction is to generate as much $ for the non-profit group(PCNA in this case) as possible.
What are you talking about? :confused:

The PCNA auctioned cars were not "for" a non-profit for charity. These were the buy back cars that PCNA then auctioned back to dealers at Mannheim as salvaged titles. The dealers then put them up for sale.

For the dealers to buy back the salvaged titled cars at or above MSRP was, to many, a bit strange. Here are the auctioned cars.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My mistake.
I thought we were taking about the cars that PCA auctioned last year for the benefit of the club.
My bad.

What are you talking about? :confused:

The PCNA auctioned cars were not "for" a non-profit for charity. These were the buy back cars that PCNA then auctioned back to dealers at Mannheim as salvaged titles. The dealers then immediately put them up for sale.

For the dealers to buy back the salvaged titled cars at or above MSRP was, to many, a bit strange.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
$0. In fact, dealers charging markup is exactly why I ended up considering Porsche.

In 2010 I thought the Ford Mustang Boss 302 was "good value for money", especially for a track toy. It was. Except NE dealers were emphatic at the time on not accepting anything less than $25,000 markup. My "famous last words" to the very man who coined the phrase, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" was:
"Honestly, for that money I could damn near buy a Porsche. In fact, maybe I will."
I asked for my deposit back, left, and never returned. Since I was now looking at $70K+ I had many more cars to consider. Oddly enough his son called a year later offering me a 302 for MSRP. I brought up the fact that last year they wanted to put me over the barrel to the tune of $25K and that coming back a year later offering it for $0 markup just drove the point home that they were hoping I'd be a complete sucker. His grandson is starting to help run the dealerships now and I ran into him at a C&C last year. He remembered me as the guy who bought a Miata and taught him how to put torrented Top Gear episodes on his iPhone. He remembered what I said to his grandfather, and acknowledged that I apparently kept my word.

Hell, back in 2004 I paid under MSRP for a Lancer Evolution VIII MR (despite getting one in the first shipment), when most dealers were trading allocations to SoCal dealers (to get SUVs) who were marking them up $10-15K to cash in on the Fast & Furious fanboys.

To me, markup just validates that you're a skeezweasel that thinks I'm an easy mark. To that I say "@#$% you", and I'll take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah. So are you just trying to gauge interest before buying your allocation and then trying to resell it for a profit?
Nope!! I love my Cs with X73, one of the best driving cars ever. I was 1st in line for the GT4 so why would I turn down a chance to own a much better version of my Cs? Another big factor is I wanted to add LWSB seats and Sports Exhaust to my Cs but by the time I do that I can get the GT4 (BIG TIME NO BRAINER!!!) for about the same amount of money.

Both of thoses Raptors I owned MY 10 and 13 I put around 165k miles between the 2. Buying a vehichle to resell without getting good use out of them is LUDICROUS. It does help to find the ones that the deprecation level is kept to a minimum.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts