Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the oil changed today at RennsportKC by my buddy Karl and I took some pictures of the process. It takes forever for the old oil to drain out, at least 30 minutes and removing the oil filter dumps oil on the cross member. There were also some interesting stats in the PIWIS software used to measure the oil. I'll write more later but for now enjoy the pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Recently had my oil changed and the tech who did it was less experienced about the cross member issue. Quite a mess on my garage floor. Shop owner profusely apologized and assured me it would not happen again, even called several days later to talk to me about it. Having once had a summer job as a grease monkey I felt I could handle the technical aspects of cleaning the spillage.

How did your guy avoid the mess?

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently had my oil changed and the tech who did it was less experienced about the cross member issue. Quite a mess on my garage floor. Shop owner profusely apologized and assured me it would not happen again, even called several days later to talk to me about it. Having once had a summer job as a grease monkey I felt I could handle the technical aspects of cleaning the spillage.

How did your guy avoid the mess?
They laid a towel over the cross member before ever removing the oil filter. This soaked up most of it and after that it was a quick wipe down for any that got beyond the shop towels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Turns out it may not have been the cross member after all but the drain plug either stripped or missing washer. My detailer sent me a pic, he knows the owner of the shop well where I had it serviced and is assisting getting it fixed.

I am a little disappointed that a shop that came so highly recommended caused this problem. Very happy with the detailer who is applying Ceramic Pro and has kept me up to date with his progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had similar experience with oil getting all over the cross bars when I change the oil filter. I ended up removing the cross bars to clean off the oil That was even with the plastic bag over the filter upon removal. Next time I think I will just line the cross bars with towels. Lesson learned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts