Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/gt4render2.jpg We all know that Porsche monitors this website (yes we see you PAG and PCNA people :) ) and that's OK, heck I've had Porsche employees tell me they've learned things they didn't know even while working for Porsche. Knowledge is a good thing. Given how much speculation there is around the upcoming Cayman GT4 variant I thought it might be nice if those of us here at Planet-9 provided some input to Porsche in this topic thread. Sure, it might be too late to make any major changes to the vehicle, but you never know and it doesn't hurt to try. If you were sitting across the table from the planners at Porsche and giving them your list of "must haves" or "must NOT haves" in the new GT4 what would they be? Hopefully the individuals from Porsche who monitor this site will read this topic and perhaps have a better sense of what their potential customers want. Let's face it, the GT4 buyer is more likely to be someone on this website than anywhere else in the world, if we can't give Porsche good input, who can? I'll get the party started with a few items I'd like to see (or not see).

1. Please offer both manual and PDK transmissions
2. Please make centerlock wheels an option, not a requirement
3. Please don't dumb-down or remove things from whatever engine you put into the car. I don't want to see a 3.8L 911 engine that's missing oil return pumps or baffles, etc. as a cost savings measure.
4. Please make the rear toe links ADJUSTABLE, anyone who tracks a GT4 (including race cars) are going to want this
5. Please make whatever body styling changes to the front bumper, wing, rear valence, etc. both functional and noticeable as compared to the regular Cayman.
6. Please offer an optional roll bar/cage setup in the European market as you do for the GT3 (which means we can order and have one shipped to the US on our own)
7. Please offer at LEAST one UNIQUE color, preferably something like Signal Green, Orange, Mexico Blue, etc.
8. Please offer an optional race heritage graphics kit (Gulf livery, Rothmans, etc. ala the 918)
9. Please offer a backup camera (this is going to become a federally mandated requirement at some point anyway)
10.Please make enough of them so that my dealer can get one, in other words a "reasonable" amount ala the previous Cayman R

Ok there's 10 items that came to mind while typing this topic thread.... who is next?

·
Registered
992 Posts
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/gt4render2.jpg We all know that Porsche monitors this website (yes we see you PAG and PCNA people :) ) and that's OK, heck I've had Porsche employees tell me they've learned things they didn't know even while working for Porsche. Knowledge is a good thing. Given how much speculation there is around the upcoming Cayman GT4 variant I thought it might be nice if those of us here at Planet-9 provided some input to Porsche in this topic thread. Sure, it might be too late to make any major changes to the vehicle, but you never know and it doesn't hurt to try. If you were sitting across the table from the planners at Porsche and giving them your list of "must haves" or "must NOT haves" in the new GT4 what would they be? Hopefully the individuals from Porsche who monitor this site will read this topic and perhaps have a better sense of what their potential customers want. Let's face it, the GT4 buyer is more likely to be someone on this website than anywhere else in the world, if we can't give Porsche good input, who can? I'll get the party started with a few items I'd like to see (or not see).

1. Please offer both manual and PDK transmissions
2. Please make centerlock wheels an option, not a requirement
3. Please don't dumb-down or remove things from whatever engine you put into the car. I don't want to see a 3.8L 911 engine that's missing oil return pumps or baffles, etc. as a cost savings measure.
4. Please make the rear toe links ADJUSTABLE, anyone who tracks a GT4 (including race cars) are going to want this
5. Please make whatever body styling changes to the front bumper, wing, rear valence, etc. both functional and noticeable as compared to the regular Cayman.
6. Please offer an optional roll bar/cage setup in the European market as you do for the GT3 (which means we can order and have one shipped to the US on our own)
7. Please offer at LEAST one UNIQUE color, preferably something like Signal Green, Orange, Mexico Blue, etc.
8. Please offer an optional race heritage graphics kit (Gulf livery, Rothmans, etc. ala the 918)
9. Please offer a backup camera (this is going to become a federally mandated requirement at some point anyway)
10.Please make enough of them so that my dealer can get one, in other words a "reasonable" amount ala the previous Cayman R

Ok there's 10 items that came to mind while typing this topic thread.... who is next?
11. Please offer recalibrated steering with feel and feedback that is at least as good as GT3 (preferably better).
12. Please offer aggressive gearing with close ratios - including manual
13. Please provide true dry sump - separate oil tank for engine
14. Please offer 918 or other race seats as option (with adjustable or much lower mounting than GT2 folding bucket).
15. Please provide gearbox oil cooler, track capable LSD, and sufficient engine and brake cooling for extended track use.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
11. Please offer recalibrated steering with feel and feedback that is at least as good as GT3 (preferably better).
12. Please offer aggressive gearing with close ratios - including manual
13. Please provide true dry sump - separate oil tank for engine
14. Please offer 918 or other race seats as option (with adjustable or much lower mounting than GT2 folding bucket).
15. Please provide gearbox oil cooler, track capable LSD, and sufficient engine and brake cooling for extended track use.

Grant, How many of these does the current GT3 have???

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I only ask that Porsche stops "dumbing down" the 981 engines just so the 911 can have more HP. This strategy is a loser in the long run regardless of the love affair with a fading icon. Unless of course we all want to still be driving model Ts around.

We should let these cars reach their potential. Porsche should be building the best cars possible and let the market place determine which models thrive. Maybe those models are the F-Type or Corvette? :(

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
  1. For cars that come with PDKs: Would love to see S-PDK.
  2. S-PASM as an option instead of PASM.
  3. The Boxster/Spyder version should have a roof system that is light, yet less of a pain to install than the 987.2 Spyder.
  4. It should be priced lower or about the same as buying a base and doing a 3.8l powerpack engine swap (and no, don't increase the engine prices :p). Especially given that by the time that the GT4 becomes available, my 981 will be out of warranty and it would be very tempting to have it's engine swapped.
  5. Allow Z-options!

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
For my money:

Sport buckets on my R are ready for harnesses... Surely the seats in the GT 4 will be!

Also request: please, no turbo!. I don't need the lag to get the fake HP.

Ken, Love the thread!

John

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
1. With the manual transmission, please make the throttle blip a stand alone option. Don't force its inclusion with the other options or packages. Better yet, don't force its inclusion period.

2. 6-forward gears is ideal. Don't add a 7th!

3. Continue to resist the insane trend to make the control of simple things overly complex (electronic) that BMW started with their iDrive. Your current one-button for each function is infinitely better than anything else on the market. Implementing an iDrive-type system to dial the radio or adjust the A/C would be a nail in the coffin.

4. I'd really love to see a manual hand brake come back. I don't think you'd lose one bit of respect for admitting it was a silly idea.

5. Make the analogue speedometer legible and useful! How many people can take a millisecond glance at the needle halfway between 75 and 100 and instantly think, "87.5"? Alternatively, the same glance at a needle halfway between 80 and 100 instantly registers 90 without any thought! Anything that is useless should be made useful or be eliminated.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
1) Would like to see 18" 5-lugs as std (fat chance :hilarious:), but willing to accept 19": NO 20" wheels.
2) Adjustable front LCAs.
3) Optional "lift", ala GT3, if PASM-S std or optional.
4) Don't make high cost options std and then do a 'no-cost' downgrade: PASM vs SS (981 GTS), etc, etc, etc.
5) Appropriate brakes; 6-pot F and 4-pot R.
6) No overheating issue ala R (987).

·
Registered
346 Posts
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/gt4render2.jpg ?.... If you were sitting across the table from the planners at Porsche and giving them your list of "must haves" or "must NOT haves" in the new GT4 what would they be?
Scene 1: Porsche planners sitting across the table, staring into your eyes, "Ja, ist gut list. American boy racer, you are ready to purchase today?"

Just keeping it real.

Reactions: IceT and topfuel6

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What price are you willing to pay for this car? Rumors are leaning to 130k. The reason is a turbo 3.8 will be installed. This is a break for me. This car can't cost that much. The gt3 starts at 140k placing this at 130k.
my 1 thing to add to the list is to keep this car at 110 or less. There is no reason to price it well beyond the Jag or the Z06

·
Registered
992 Posts
What price are you willing to pay for this car? Rumors are leaning to 130k. The reason is a turbo 3.8 will be installed. This is a break for me. This car can't cost that much. The gt3 starts at 140k placing this at 130k.
No reliable rumors are anywhere near that high. Firstly, the GT3 is $130k with PDK-S and this car will be positioned far below it. I am expecting a 5-figure price before options.

·
Registered
266 Posts
my 1 thing to add to the list is to keep this car at 110 or less. There is no reason to price it well beyond the Jag or the Z06
A GT3 with no options is $130,400 MSRP so I can't imagine them starting this car at the same point. The nice thing about the GT3 is there aren't really any performance options you need to pay for, everything's standard (except front axle lift which does seem necessary if you plan to drive the car around town). I agree with you it would be nice if the GT4 stays under 110.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Well, a nicely equipped base 981 is probably around $70k plus another $30k for the transplanted 3.8l engine... so yes... $110 for a fully optioned one is in my opinion the max I would consider paying (since you get the warranty and hopefully some other goodies).

1 - 20 of 82 Posts